All reviews front street priory room homemade jams hadrian's wall walk fresh milk eggs florentine hollandaise sauce fish quay tynemouth village extra touches b and b each morning lovely room village view breakfast was amazing bottled water black pudding
Reviewed 4 November 2014

The highlight of the Martineau is the use of local produce and excellent cooking skills of Sally, the owner. The guest house is brilliantly situated in the centre of Tynemouth a stone's throw from the beach and among the high street shops.

There was an excellent array of goods on the tea tray and the possibility of a picnic basket if you wanted one.

It is an 18th century house with a lot of stairs so not ideal for everyone. Our room was rather small but we understand the others are larger. The house is what it is and the owner has maximised things as far as possible.

Breakfast is served at a large shared table. Due to space restrictions there is not really another way of doing this but I would have preferred not to have to make polite conversation with strangers when having a couples weekend away. Just my personal preference.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Juliet A
Sally C, Owner at Martineau Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Martineau. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay and recognised the importance of using locally sourced products. I am sorry however that you didn't enjoy sharing the breakfast table. As you say it would be difficult to have any other arrangement due to the restrictions of the building and many guests really like the set up. However I do recognise that not all guests feel comfortable with this so I am looking into a way of providing a continental breakfast in the guest rooms if people would prefer this so your comments are very valauble.

Reviewed 26 October 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Martineau House for the Weekend, we have stayed here quite a few times and would highly recommend it. Sally the owner greeted us like old friends. Out Room was called the Priory wow what a amazing view, views of the Fish quay, statue of the famous Collingwood and the Priory and the busy North sea where u can sit in the window and watch the Ferry's going in and out and other Boats and not forgetting the Sunrises. Out Room was Spacious, Clean and Comfortable, Tea and Coffee facilities, Bathroom, TV and very comfortable double Bed. Our Breakfast was delicious I had the Bacon Sandwich, Fruit Juice, Cereal and Tea, my Husband had the famous Big Geordie Breakfast, Fruit Juice and Fruit and Tea. There is a good selection of Cereals, Fruit Juices, Fresh Fruit and Yoghurts. Martineau House is very Central to all Pubs, Shops and Restaurants. The famous Tynemouth Market is fairly close by and well worth a visit. Thank you Sally for a lovely Weekend. See u soon

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank alisonnurserynurse
Sally C, Owner at Martineau Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2014

Thank you for another lovely review, it was good to see you both again last weekend.

Reviewed 20 October 2014 via mobile

Service, amenities, breakfast, location, views, value for money - all spot on! Sally is lovely and her place couldn't be more charming.

My husband and I got married in Tynemouth in August and booked some of my American family members in here, as it had a good reputation and we wanted them to feel at home away from home.

We were already booked in at The Grand Hotel, as the bridal party got us a deluxe room as a gift. However, after some disappointing service, we decided to give the Martineau a go. I'm so pleased we did! I only wish we'd done it sooner.

We only had the pleasure of staying one night, but just from that, I personally believe it's the best hotel in the area. My husband and I have already decided we want to go back on our anniversary and stay again, this time for a little longer. :)

I highly recommend it!

Date of stay: August 2014
1  Thank Kaitlyn A

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Martineau Guest House, your feedback is very important to us. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay, thank you fpr your kind comments. I look forward to seeing you on your anniversary next year.

Reviewed 15 October 2014

Following our stay at Sally's Martineau Guest House last weekend, I have just reread the most recent reviews on TripAdvisor. Without reservation I can endorse all positive comments made by fellow travellers. The experience of staying here is beyond comparison with the limited number of local alternatives. The Martineau is in a league of its own. You will not be disappointed.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank SilverSKIERSurrey

Wow thank you for such a positive review, I am really pleased that you feel Martineau is in 'a league of it's own.' I do try to cater for everyone's needs so it's great when guests recognise this.

Reviewed 22 September 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here on business, what a beautiful guest house, nothing was too much trouble. Lots of little detail in the room and a fantastic choice for breakfast. I would have no hesitation in recommending this establishment to anyone.

Date of stay: September 2014
Trip type: Travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Martineau and for your recommendation. It was a pleasure to meet you.