“1 night stay 22.02.2014”

The Montagu Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Tynemouth
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We had a very pleasant stay here. My friend Chrissie and I went on a National Holidays trip and this was the Hotel we stayed at. Our room was spotless and we had a very pleasant sea view. Bathroom and toilet were spotless and the shower was great, lovely and warm and powerful too. The room was pleasantly warm so you weren't roasting when in bed. The evening meal was lovely and the english breakfast great too. The staff were all lovely, very pleasant and helpful. The hotel I think is being refreshed and some more work is required but I would definately go again. It's also in a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for a Sea View. We were in 324, nice and spacious. If you want 5 Star then pay for it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pathol3

Reviewed 10 February 2014

First things first this hotel has the most helpful staff, they are keen to get things right...looking round the hotel it is clear to see that some refurbishment work has been done (it's a big place) and there are signs of on-going projects.

I hosted a dance event here, the ballroom is massive. I had 120 guests in total...yes there were complaints about bedrooms a TV not working, draughts (worth noting it was blowing a gale outside and very cold) and heating issues....but overall the majority of the problems were fixed. The hotel rooms were spotlessly clean (and yes I did check thoroughly) the food in the restaurant was well prepared and piping hot. Breakfast was plain but plentiful.

I have re-booked the hotel for next year because I know that the current owners are determined to put this hotel back on the map...they do their best to work with you, but are still encountering a few teething problems.

Over all the hotel was good value, clean, friendly, has free car parking, Wi-Fi on the bar and has the biggest dance floor in the area. A great combination for my purpose

Room Tip: as for a room at the front ...the sea view is remarkable
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank roomball
Reviewed 6 February 2014

On arrival at reception i was greeted by a plate of uneaten french fries on the business side of the counter(unfished snack i assume?)
Rooms were very very distasteful indeed...a complete refurbish would be needed to become a well sought after hotel again(which it was in the 60's and 70's)
Television "table" was actually on the floor and i kept kicking it as i walked round the bed and i'm sure i had NHS blankets,bathroom very very grubby,toilet seat would'nt"stay up" ,windows were very dirty and had a lot of cobwebs .
All in all i would'nt recommend this hotel which is a shame as it has great potential..it was very very popular years back.

Room Tip: Tea and coffee in room was the only plus.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Jamesbond007
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed here for a weekend the rooms had big holes in the carpets. We had two single beds put together. The bathroom was filthy. The bathroom door broken mirrors dusty cobwebbs everywhere. Sealent in bathroom mouldy. Extractor fan filthy. Ood trrrible no vegetarian option. Breakfast cold and I had to climb under a table to plug a toaster in. Pat testing last done on appliances in room in 2010.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Stephanie1111111
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We drove 400 miles to get to our hotel from Oxfordshire, after a really long and tiring drive we arrived late in the evening and immediately knew we had made a mistake. The only exciting thing for me and my other half was the beach and the sea view. Having arrived at our room, the bed was dressed with rose petals as requested by my other half but the overall look did not look £500 worth, we where paying £200 a night for this and looked like the whole place was falling apart. Heres the main issue I would like to address that made my blood boil, when you pay for a honeymoon suite you don't expect your bed to be put together with two cheap single mattresses! This was was meant to be a king sized bed but you could feel the gap of the single mattresses running through the middle! So don't expect to get a goodnight sleep! The online pictures are deceiving! The TV did not work and the staff did not resolve this issue even upon request. The lighting in the room was appalling, the headboard lights did not work and our room heating was not working so it was heated by two little heater fans that one can get from argos, which I had to get up in the middle of the night and switch it off because the whirring noise drove us mad. Breakfast in the morning, lets not even go there.. a full english fry up is not just beans and a egg! The most upsetting thing being we spent so much on this 3 day break and where not even listened to by the staff to atleast fix our tv. We checked out a day earlier because it was way too shabby for our liking, next time we will be stay by the quayside in the city. As this was nothing but a broken down hotel with shabby fixtures and fittings. Never again.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money! Biggest regret ever!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank R B
Reviewed 3 January 2014

on arrival the girl who i think was new was not sure of how to check me in using credit card, when she asked for help she was told she should know. not a great way to speak to staff. the room had wallpaper hanging off the wall, crisp packets in between the double glazing as padding and paint on the windows. asked what time the bar stayed open to at night, we told them we would be back in at midnight and told they would still be serving at that time. arrived back after walking passed several bars at quarter to 12 and it was all closed. breakfast was a joke. no cooked option and couple of boxes of cornflakes and what looked like supermarket mega save bread for toast (banged my head plugging the toaster in under a table). i have twice e-mailed them with my gripes and still no reply.

Room Tip: try a different hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank lee k
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Pictures on sites look good. You walk in and it's not. Very shabby. Old fashioned. My friend and I checked out.
Dirty windows. Glass and frames.
Old furniture.
Old carpets.
Creaky floor.
It's like a place that's been closed for years and has just been reopened but not revamped

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank TraceyTravels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tynemouth
Grand Hotel
#24 of 83 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Windsor Hotel - Whitley Bay
Windsor Hotel - Whitley Bay
#9 of 9 in Whitley Bay

Been to The Montagu Park Hotel? Share your experiences!