Kirkconnel Hall Hotel
Townhead Hotel(Lockerbie)
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
All reviewscontinental breakfastbath waternothing too much troublewarm receptiona lovely evening meallots of hot waterquirky hotelspent two nightscomfortable bedhomemade fooddecorated to a very high standardovernight stopsteak piesalmonhome madedouble roomfeel very welcome
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We needed to arrange a last minute trip to Scotland and after searching found this hotel.
We booked one night on their own website.
However the following morning they cancelled our booking because the room was not available as it had been rented out by phone.
No help to find another room in the same area and not even a phone call to cancel just an email.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Heidi C
JohnSargeant, Owner at Kirkconnel Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2013

As explained on the intitial email to you, a telephone call was attempted as is our policy & when this failed we immediately contacted you by email within 24 hours of your booking being processed and over 72 hours prior to your arrival.

A full refund was immediately processed and this was highlighted on the correspondence to you, both emails also stated to contact us if you required any further assistance and you chose not too.

As you can clearly see from our other reviews, we have had excellent feedback from all aspects of our customer service and on this occasion we apologised to you profusely for the error and I offer our apologies to you again.

I hope you enjoy your trip to Dumfries & Galloway

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Our second visit was for a single night on the way home from a visit down south. It was lovely to go back and find all as we left it before. John couldnt do enough to make us comfortable and the food was excellent at both dinner and breakfast the following morning. We had been given a large room at the front of the hotel this time and it was lovely to have spacwe to move around and a really comfortable bed again. Johns grand-daughter was there and poor wee Louis was being walked off his feet...lol. Clean as a whistle throughout and something interesting everywhere you turn....We'll be back!

Room Tip: Both we have had were good.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
JohnSargeant, General Manager at Kirkconnel Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Firstly thank you very much for your most generous review of our property, it put a smile on my face and also that of my team.
We appreciate the fact you chose to return to stay with us again and hope you will choose to do so in the furture, you will be glad to know that Louis survived is marathon walking sessions and has been sleeping ever since!!!!!

Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 16 May 2013

We were amazed to read Ledgie1's description of Kirkconnel Hall.
We have stayed 3 times and have popped in for coffee twice and we have never had anything but good service and a warm welcome.
Kirkconnel is a 3 star hotel. It doesn't pretend to be the Ritz. The whole ambience is totally relaxed and friendly and rests on the personalities of John and Babs, the owners. They do appear to have other staff but John is always front of house, which is what gives Kirkconnel Hall it's unique flavour. We always find that he cannot do enough to make guests comfortable and happy - what more could you ask for? Babs works quietly behind the scenes, cooking delicious food and overseeing the domestic arrangements and has a lovely, welcoming approach, as well.
Whenever we stay at Kirkconnel we curl up in the huge armchairs and read by the log fires. It is a totally individual hotel. Long may it remain so!

Room Tip: We have always slept well at Kirkconnel Hall. However, as it is close to the motorway people who are light sleepers might want to ask for a room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
JohnSargeant, Owner at Kirkconnel Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Many thanks for your very kind review of our property, and we do indeed hope you continue to visit us many more times in the future.
We pride ourselves on being individual and unique as you so accurately portrayed in your review, and we are overjoyed you decided to share your experiences with our travellers.

Many Thanks.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

The Hotel Inspectors Ruth Watson and Alex Polizzi would have a real challenge here. I cannot believe having read the reviews that this is the same place we stayed. They say that first impressions are everything. We arrived about 1745 to check in, but the reception was deserted..well apart from a model sitting on the sofa by the fireplace (see photo), and another couple of statues by the door. I noticed that on the website all the clutter has been removed for the photographs.The reception desk was extremely untidy with no organisation obvious. We rang the bell a few times over the next 15 minutes and more, and we wandered around checking the bar and the dining room, but there was no one responding. Eventually John, the proprietor came in with Louis the dog, and asked if no one was attending to us !!
Our room was passable .. there had been some attempts to cover some marks and cracks with a different colour of emulsion, or they had started to redecorate and had been interrupted. The shower was above the bath and was a good shower with good pressure but was let down by the shower curtain which tended to have a life of its own. No need for these awful curtains when you can buy a decent glass screen for under a £100 and can be fitted with reasonable level of diy skills and a drill in under an hour.
We were on a KGB deal which indicated that we would have a 3 course meal on the first night with starters up to the value of £4.50, mains up to £10.95 and desserts up to £4.50. From that information we would have expected to be on the a la carte menu and would be able to select from that and pay any additional amounts, but no, we were handed on check in a table d'hote menu with a limited choice of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts. I asked about upgrading and was told that 'this is how we do it', and that they had 200 people on the deal before us and I was the first to question it. However he did agree to upgrading. When we came down for dinner I asked if there was a wine list and was told to go behind the bar and choose what wine I wanted...there was no indication what the prices were. The wines I chose on the two nights we were there were both a reasonable £12.00 each.
I noticed from previous reviews that John refers to his team, but over the two nights we were there John attended to the reception, served breakfast, served food and drink in the bar, took dinner orders and served dinner, and the only time that we saw another person was when Louis puked on the breakfast carpet and John called on presumably his wife to clean it up.
Notes of drinks purchased and food orders are taken on scrap paper and you are not given a bill on check out. When we got home and tallied up what we reckoned we should have paid we believed that we had been overcharged by just over £15.00. We raised this with John by email but did not get a response.
The dinners were ok but not good enough that we would ever consider popping in for a meal when we were passing.
The breakfasts are continental and I would rate this the worst continental breakfast I have experienced. There are cereals and fruit and yoghurts and some cheese and meats. The first morning we were given a basket of toast and croissants, but on the second day we only got the toast... we presumed that they did not have croissants, but when we were finished we noticed that a couple who had just come in to the dining room had croissants and toast..weird.

I'm glad that we had not paid the full price as we would have been even more dissapointed.
Not a place that we will ever return to.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
JohnSargeant, Owner at Kirkconnel Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Good Morning,

Firstly let me say that I was most disappointed & upset to read your review, and somewhat surprised that you did not bring this to my attention during your stay with us, as it would have given me the opportunity to rectify the issues you have conveyed.
As you have seen the reviews of our hotel are consistently of a high rating, but clearly you found our Hotel & hospitality not to your liking, in that regard I would like to ask you to contact the Hotel directly, and specifically myself in relation to the "overcharging" issue you have raised. I would not have intentionally overcharged a guest who has resided in my property, and if you feel that you have been overcharged I will refund the amount to you.
Our Hotel retains all of its period charm, and historical value and is somewhat quirky in its presentation, clearly your preference of property to holiday in is somewhat different to what we have to offer.
I would just like to reiterate that I am deeply saddened by your somewhat disillusionment during your stay with us, but my offer of a refund to the value you have intimated in your review is on offer too you, should you contact me directly.

Kindest Regards

John Sargeant

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Stayed here on 23april for three nights, with my brother and wife on a KGB deal. All I can say was it was fabulous from the moment we walked in to when we left. The hosts John and Babs(Louis the dog)made us feel very welcome home from home, nothing was to much bother. Homemade food was very good(thanks Babs) our rooms were very clean and had everything we needed.It was a pleasure to meet you all,we will hopefully be back to see you thanks from the four of us. Cheers 200 out of a 100!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
JohnSargeant, Owner at Kirkconnel Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2013

Firstly thank you so much for your kind review, and as always Louis our dog gets a mention, at least we got a small piece of the glory too!
We always aim to welcome every guest in the same manner, and our intention is for you to feel like Kirkconnel Hall is indeed a home from home, and I am so glad we succeeded.
I will pass your comments on to our team, and I do indeed hope we will see you all soon.