“Fantastic food, people and service”
Review of The Glencoe Inn

The Glencoe Inn
Reviewed 8 September 2011

My wife stayed for a short break as the last (and as it turned out best) part of a longer holiday travelling around Scotland and found the management (Nigel), staff, food and service absolutely first class. Everyone was friendly, hard working (Jackie must run on duracell batteries) and pulled out all the stops to make sure our stay and experience was relaxed and enjoyable. The hotel is very comfortable and clean. The food is excellent and the portions are generous. Should you want formality then it will not be for you. If however you enjoy good food, are not looking to diet! and like a place/people with personality and atmoshere look no further. Steve & Evelyn, Stockport

2  Thank steve c
NigelBirdManager, General Manager at The Glencoe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2011

Thank you for your very kind review,it is always extremely gratifying to hear first hand from our guests how we are performing in terms of service and hospitality.My team are delighted with your comments as they take a great deal of pride and are passionate about the service they offer to our guests. I hope to see you soon. Kind Regards Nigel

Reviewed 4 September 2011

We booked this hotel 1hr before we arrived, after a stressful day rock climbing we decided to treat ourselves to a local bnb instead of another night camping. Upon our arrival we were greeted by Jackie who was exceptionally friendly and despite having no knowledge of our booking quickly sorted out an upgraded 'loch view room' for us at the discounted price of £65. We couldn't wait to see our room and relax and for the most part we were pleased, the room was very clean and contemporary, the bed was comfortable and ample towels were provided. As afore mentioned the bathrooms are somewhat of a letdown for the hotel, a pink suite with peeling paint/wallpaper and an overall terrible finish is not the most welcoming sight. The 'loch view' was obscured by the smoking deck and not something I would of paid a premium for - but perhaps after camping on beautiful loch side beaches I am a bit biased. Our rate included breakfast and after looking at the breakfast menu provided in the room we were very much looking forward to the morning especially after clocking that the price per person for breakfast was £17.95! After an excellent nights sleep (despite knocking my head on the too tall bedside table) we went for breakfast at 9am , the breakfast area is beautiful and the waitress promptly asked us whether we wanted tea/coffee and toast which was then bought to the table - my only complaint being that the coffee and toast arrived lukewarm. The cereal, croissants, fruit and yoghurts were set up buffet style alongside the juice which was great but never replenished whilst we were down there. I could see that the young girl working was rushing around trying to serve everyone herself so perhaps she didn't have time to take note of the diminishing supply of juice and condiments. Alongside this you also got to order a hot dish from the extensive menu and my partner ordered poached eggs whilst I had French toast with bacon and maple syrup, both were of very good quality although rather meagre portions - to sum the breakfast up it was enjoyable but not worth anywhere near almost £20 per person! After researching the hotel rates our stay would cost over £150 at full price and despite the warm welcome and adequate rooms we would never pay this price - if you can get a deal it's a good find but make sure breakfast is included!

Room Tip: Shop around for last minute deals
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
NigelBirdManager, General Manager at The Glencoe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to place your review on trip advisor,I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and will pass your comments on to my team with a special thank you and well done to jackie.Kind Regards Nigel

Reviewed 25 August 2011

I read the bad reviews of the Glencoe Hotel after we'd checked in which I know is not how you should use trip advisor, but I'm very glad this was the case or my family and I would have missed out on the warmest of welcomes, friendliest of staff, and tastiest of dinners. Yes, the bathrooms could do with updating or a lick of paint, but the rooms were clean and welcoming. Jackie took us under her wing and ensured we were well looked after all night. After asking at at least five B&Bs in the village and being made to feel very unwelcome because we had our four year old in tow, I wasnt sure this was really a family place. Perhaps you were only welcome here if you had hiked the stunning trails nearby and whiffed of mint cake? Fortunately The Glencoe Hotel makes you feel welcome no matter what your age, hiking boots or not, and the restaurant serves a mean steak. We would thoroughly recommend it. Sarah C

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
NigelBirdManager, General Manager at The Glencoe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

Thank you so much for placing your review on trip advisor, I must say I have found the last few reviews extremely puzzling as I know that the team at the hotel work extremely hard and are passionate about providing a very high standard of service and hospitality at all times. My team are absolutely delighted with your comments.Once again thank you for placing your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Kind Regards Nigel

Reviewed 16 August 2011

We booked by phone the day before arrival and agreed the £130 b and b for our party, assuming it reflected the quality of the hotel . In addition we asked for a folding bed to accomodate our son, in the room . The room, 104 ,was tiny and the en suite bathroom was grotty with peeling wall paper and black mould .

On the plus side the staff are excellent and friendly and the food is good . The staff were hugely over worked at evening meal as they were trying to manage a full restaurant and act as a take away chip shop for the local campers.

The website boasts guest real ales , these were non existent and there was no bottled beer from the excellent very local brewery.

I would avoid this hotel unless you can secure a "deal " or some comfort that other rooms arent as bad as room 104 .

1  Thank craigb562
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Greeted efficiently by the French receptionist. Had to wait for our room to be made up and an extra camp bed to be put up by the friendly young lad. Was offered coffee during wait. Once it was ready, the guy who I assumed to be the manager said "Your room's ready now, sorry about the wait, I've given the staff involved their P45". Well there's many a true word spoken in jest I suppose.

Let's start with the bathroom. Dated and shabby. Shower no more than a trickle. Filthy curtain. Black sooty mould growing on the wall next to the cistern.

Next the bedroom. Condensation on the windows, dripping on to my child's bed during the night. Lamp protruding over the bed which I sat up and badly banged my head on.

Another guest managed to charge into the room while we were changing. Told them to get lost. Few minutes later, a staff member comes up and opens the door with her key, asking us the details of when we'd checked in, our name and everything, despite having offered us coffee in the reception a few minutes ago.

Went to the restaurant for dinner. Despite being resident, was told the restaurant was full, had to sit in the bar. Put at a sticky table, next to the open French window where people were smoking just outside. A staff member complained to us that she'd parked her car too far away and was going to get wet when she went for her smoke (now why would I care about that, I wonder?). Had to chase the staff to get drinks and place our order. To be fair to them, I only saw three of them and they were doing their best but clearly overwhelmed. No sign of the "manager" at this time. Food was basically pub grub but priced as restaurant standard. Bland, tasteless curry and an overcooked lasagne, plus two sausage and chips for the kids and some drinks cost us £67. The service was slow, reflecting the level of trade and the understaffing.

At breakfast, we (and another unfortunate family) had to wait an hour for our food. There was no communication that there would be a delay, we could have packed our bags and checked out during that time. Food arrived, was basically OK but miniscule portions. Complained to the waiter about delay but was fed a load of "bannocks" as excuses. Glasses, cutlery and crockery weren't clean.

At check out was asked if I'd enjoyed my stay. Recounted the above. The aforementioned French lassie disappeared into the office and came back with an apology of sorts "yes, le mould in the toilets, we know about that". Well that's OK then, I suppose. Gave me a 10% discount on my bill. The "manager" wisely decided to lurk in the office, perhaps he'd been tipped off by the waiter that I was going to dish him out both barrels.

The above reflects my experience there. My sincere opinion is that dingy, overpriced, understaffed hotels like this give Scotland a bad name. I'd advice the owners to spend some money on it and get rid of the dampness and mould; get someone in charge who is visible, accessible, and accountable, and sort out the staffing and kitchen. If these actions aren't possible, then close it down, Crerar Hotels this is damaging your brand.

5  Thank Mark T
NigelBirdManager, General Manager at The Glencoe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to place your review on trip advisor, I am extremely sorry that you encountered problems at the hotel. I can recall speaking with you on a number of occasions,the first time to apologise for the slight delay in your room being ready and apologise if my sense of humour was not appropriate,I am puzzled that you did not speak with me directly regarding your concerns as I am in the hotel each day.It is an extremely busy time of the year and my team work tirelessly to ensure that our guests have an enjoyable experience at the hotel.Occasionally things do go wrong.Once again my apologies.Regards Nigel

Reviewed 11 August 2011

We stayed for three night recently and had a great time. It was very busy when we arrived but were sorted out quickly and efficiently by a very helpful Jackie? The room was fine, yes the bathroom could do with a refit, but there was endless hot water (baths needed after a day in the hills) and it was clean. The food was really good and the staff really friendly without being in your face, polite and patient (how the young lass kept her cool explaining everything to the elderly Americans next to us at breakfast, I will never know! They don't have boiled egg and soldiers in the USA!!) The dinner bed and breakfast deal was excellent value. I hope that they make a success of it at the hotel, they clearly are working hard and deserve to do well. As Macdonalds returning as pilgrims to Glencoe we enjoyed the hospitality, no doubt no Campbells on the staff!! (joke). Thankyou.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for placing your review on trip advisor, It is always very gratifying to know that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us. I have shown the review to my team and they are delighted with your comments. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.Kind Regards Nigel

Reviewed 2 August 2011

Congratulations to the Glencoe's webmaster who managed to make the hotel look like a nice, almost `boutique'-like place on the web.....when we arrived we nearly missed it as it doesn't really look like anything on the website. And the price tag suggested it had ambitions to be a bit more than ``just'' a hikers' watering hole...

Yes, the rooms had obviously been done up a few years ago, but nobody seems to have touched the bathrooms since the 70s - and that includes the shower curtain. Yuck!

Staff were nice and friendly and bubbly but didn't seem particularly knowledegable and the bar was not terribly well stocked....

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
#1 of 2 in North Ballachulish
Holly Tree Hotel
Holly Tree Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kentallen

Been to The Glencoe Inn? Share your experiences!