“New Year Break”

The Glencoe Inn
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“New Year Break”
Reviewed 2 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Glencoe Hotel from 29th December until 2nd January. We were warmly welcomed by staff on arrival. The bar had a lovely christmas tree and a roaring log fire which was very inviting. Our room was immaculate and had all the facilities we needed, including en suite with shower, hairdryer and T.V. My husband is quite fussy about having a comfortable bed and we both slept very well during our stay.

The staff were fantastic, nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them. It's clear that they care very much about keeping the guests happy. The New Year package was great value for money as the meals were delicious, there was a champagne reception and set celebration meals on the 30th and 31st which were prepared to a really good standard and we ate from the bar menu on the other two evenings. The bar menu has a good selection of meals and also a specials board which changed every day. The breakfast menu had lots to choose from and we especially enjoyed the highland breakfast which was a full cooked breakfast served with black pudding and haggis.

There was quiet live music in the bar area on the 30th and on hogmanay there was highland dancing, a piper and and a great live band who saw us through to midnight and beyond (see my pics). The hotel has a warm and friendly atmosphere and the manager Nigel takes great care in making sure every need is met.

We didn't take our dog with us on this break but the hotel is dog friendly which is really convenient in a setting which is perfectly placed for walkers.
I would highly reccomend it to couples of all ages and families alike. We shall certainly be returning this year. Well done Glencoe Hotel and Happy New Year!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
NigelBirdManager, General Manager at The Glencoe Inn, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
What a terrific review,i am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your new year break with us and found everything to your satisfaction.My team pride themselves on offering first class hospitality and it means alot to them when their efforts are recognised.Thank you for taking the time to place your review on trip advisor and a very happy new year to you.Kind regards Nigel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Reviewed 31 December 2011

A very friendly and welcoming hotel. The manager Nigel could not be more accomadating. Nothing was too much trouble. The food was overall superb. Will recomend to all family and friends.
Julia and Archie millport

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank blazeman999
NigelBirdManager, General Manager at The Glencoe Inn, responded to this review, 3 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor,I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and thank you for choosing to spend christmas with us. I have passed your comments on to my team.On behalf of the team at Glencoe hotel i would wish you a very happy new year.Kind regards Nigel
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I can honestly say that I have never experienced so much hospitality. I was instantly struck by Nigel's warmth and accommodating tone on the telephone when making a booking. From the moment we arrived nothing was too much trouble for Nigel and his team. Our room was spacious, clean and bright and looked out onto the loch. As our room didn't have a bath we were given a key to a spare which did! A television/dvd player was carried up to our room so that we could watch our Christmas dvds! The hotel had a lovely, friendly atmosphere and was excellent value for money. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody wishing to base themselves in Glencoe for a few days!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
NigelBirdManager, General Manager at The Glencoe Inn, responded to this review, 29 December 2011
Thank you for such a wonderful review,it was also a pleasure for the team at the hotel to share christmas with you and your partner and i have passed your comments on to my team.I would like to take this opportunity to wish you a happy new year and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in 2012.Kind regards Nigel
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Stayed at the Glencoe hotel for two night's, rooms were well equipped and had all we needed for our stay , clean tidy and modern, bed's comfy and rooms airy.
We went skiing/snowboarding to the Glencoe ski resort and found the hotel to be a great base, the staff were very helpful and friendly , they ran a shuttle service to the slopes which was great and stress free.
After a great day on the slopes it was great to sit down and warm ourselves in front of the fantastic log burner in the bar.
Will defiantly stay again , such great location and such a cozy warm hotel.

1 Thank Ben H
NigelBirdManager, General Manager at The Glencoe Inn, responded to this review, 6 January 2012
What a fabulous review and thank you for placing your comments on trip advisor.I am pleased that you enjoyed your skiing and snowboarding at Glencoe Mountain,we are truly fortunate to be so closely located to such a great resort.I will pass your comments on to my team
.Kind regards Nigel
Emsworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Having rolled up to the hotel late in the evening on the 3rd of October, we were greeted by Nigel who took excellent care of us from that moment on. Despite the fact that the kitchen had already closed, the chef very graciously offered to cook us amazing Chicken Goujon & Chips, taking care to remake the batter with which the chicken was dipped to make sure that my father's fish allergy was taken care of, despite the late hour. The rooms were modern and although the bathrooms were older, they were fully functional - I understand that these are soon to be renovated, so this will be a non issue for future stays. The bar and restaurant staff could not have been more friendly and attentive - even offering our dog (who stayed with us in our room for a very reasonable fee) a bowl of steak from the kitchen that another hotel patron could not finish!! We were just thrilled with our stay and only wish that we were going to be in Glenco again soon so that we could stay here again.

Room Tip: The only thing I would say is that rooms above the kitchen do smell of food at times - but I am 100...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
NigelBirdManager, General Manager at The Glencoe Inn, responded to this review, 24 December 2011
What a fabulous review and thank you for taking the time to place your comments on trip advisor,the team at the hotel have a genuine passion for providing great hospitality and friendly service.Wishing you the compliments of the season.Kind regards Nigel
Dalkeith
Reviewed 15 December 2011

We had stayed at the Isles of Glencoe earlier in the year and wanted to return to the area, came across this last minute deal for bed & breakfast. From the minute we entered the hotel we received a very friendly welcome from the manager, she explained that she would be on holiday during our stay but advised us that Carrie would take care of us, she certainly did and was very friendly and helpful as were all of the staff.
We had a family room at the back of the hotel which was pleasant, the bathroom a bit dated but clean. The breakfast was amazing and this helped us decide that we would eat in the hotel for the duration of our stay. I decided to have the Steak burger which I had previously read about and must say this was the best burger I have ever had, My husband had the steak and was also very happy with his choice, fish and chips for both of us the following night and we were not disappointed. The first morning we both had the full scottish breakfast my husband was sold on this and had it the following two mornings, I was certainly tempted but decided to try the other choices, the Eggs Benedict and the Cinammon French Toast with Maple Syrup absolutely wonderful.
We will certainly stay here again and thank you Carrie for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for placing such a fantastic review,I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and have passed your positive comments on to my team.Wishing you all the compliments of the season and look forward to welcoming you back in 2012.Kind regards Nigel
Highland
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We had to call into the Glencoe Hotel during the storm on the 8th Dec as the A82 road was closed due to a landslide! The Manager was fabulous , she made everyone hot tea and scones which were a lifesaver as we had not eaten for hours. We were not even charged for them! Unfortunately the hotel was full and we could not get a room, but the staff were all very helpful and recommended some other places nearby. True Highland hospitality

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank HighlandHeidi
NigelBirdManager, Front Office Manager at The Glencoe Inn, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
Dear Heidi,
Thank you for placing a review on Trip Advisor.
I was only too pleased to provide you with refreshments and biscuits as I can only imagine the distraught caused by the gale force winds. This certainly wasn't a pleasant day at all for anyone but especially for people like you who were at the time travelling.
I hope we will get the chance to welcome you again to the Glencoe Hotel but in better circumstances this time !
Warmest regards,
#3 of 3 in Ballachulish
Holly Tree Hotel
Holly Tree Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kentallen

Been to The Glencoe Inn? Share your experiences!