“Very unpleasant stay also known as the Glencoe Hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Glencoe Inn

The Glencoe Inn
“Very unpleasant stay also known as the Glencoe Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

One of the most unpleasant hotel stays we have had. I wish I had paid attention to the other reviews. We came to this area to climb Ben Nevis and hoped to get a good nights sleep the evening before. The first bedroom (111) was so small that the door was hitting off the bed, a small bathroom in the corner took up a good portion of the room with hardly enough floor space. We could have put up with this but the smell of fish and chips from kitchen vent of the adjoining restaurant just made it impossible.

The alternative room offered was at the front of the hotel on the main A82 road. The noise of trucks going by for the night actually caused the room the shudder. Even with earplugs sleep was Impossible.

We got up at 5am and made our way to Ben Nevis.

2 Thank Bridget H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

This Inn had been shut for a long time and we looked forward to seeing it in its new guise.
Downstairs was fine and the food adequate but the establishment was let down by the condition of the bedroom and the lack of professionalism among the staff.

Our bedroom had a cheap dressing table scarred and lumpy. The towel rail in the bathroom promptly fell on the floor when we lifted a towel. I reported the rail and was assured that a 'handy man' would fix it next day - no one came and it that it was not even reported was evident when I complained next day at reception.

The brochure stated a 'drying room' but no member of staff new what we were talking about!
The reception is frequently unmanned as it seems to double with bar service. I put the above points at reception and was assured that the tables were being replaced 'next week' and that there was a drying room! I was assured also that my representations would be discussed at the staff meeting 'next week'. I think that they should bring the meeting forward. I am familiar with good establishments and this is not one of them.

4 Thank ScottishVoyageur
Stirling, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

I booked this hotel due to it's location Glen Coe beautiful, but not this hotel.
This hotel is an embarrassment to Scotland and God only knows what visitors to our beautiful country think about us and our standard of service.
The Hotel receptionist was very unkempt and under pressure to serve at the bar, take food orders in the restaurant and serve meals.
We were booked in and off to our room 111, well have you ever booked into a hotel for two nights and have no wardrobe or clothes hanging facilities !!! The room was too small for a double bed. I had ordered flowers & champagne for our arrival, the champagne must have been in the room for a couple of hours because it was warm.
I could go on & on about this hotel, about it's bad service, lack of staff ect etc, staff who just don't have the correct attitude or training.

We were given a better room for our second nights stay, and in the morning when we were booking out, after some discussion with the manager re the whole of our stay we were presented with 3 bills, I agreed on the third one which had been reduced by £100 & not charged for the bottle of wine we had with our evening meal.

I'm sorry to say, but this hotel is an embarrassment to Scotland & I dread to think what visitors to our beautiful & historic part of Scotland thingk of us.

Mr Michael Kelly

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
3 Thank Michael K
Ballachulish, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

I'm only reviewing our visit to the new restaurant, as we didn't use the hotel.
Family visit, received a lovely welcome, friendly staff and great food. A real buzz to the place with a team of young yet happy/friendly staff.
Portions were good, quality great, and wait time reasonable as it was fairly busy.
Prices were OK, bordering on slightly expensive, but overall it's still a 5 star visit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

I've just returned from a 1 night stay booked by my partner as a birthday treat, and am so upset and disappointed that this is where we spent our special weekend.

When you enter the Inn the bar, restaurant and reception areas are nice, welcoming and well maintained, but that's where it all ends.

We stayed in room 104 and as soon as we entered I knew it wasn't up to scratch. The desk is obviously old and shoddy with blistered plastic, but I thought I could overlook that. Went into the bathroom and it was horrendous - reminded me of my old student digs!

Anyway I didn't want to complain as my partner had booked this in good faith and I knew he'd be disappointed if I let my disappointment show. Despite previously noting the nice bar area, after seeing the room I just wanted to get out of the place so we decided to head to the nearby clachaig inn for dinner and drinks for the evening.

Got back late and I will say we had a good sleep and the bed was comfy. Got up the next morning and had to brave then bathroom. completely shoddy, in need of re-tiling, grouting, and a good clean, but I hoped at least I'd get a nice warm shower. Nope! The water pressure was so poor it was like a big drip and it didn't heat up to anything like a decent temperature...worst shower I've had in years and my partner said the same.

We had breakfast in the inn (included in price). Service was slow and unwelcoming. Tables needed cleared and people were turned away to wait while these were dealt with. To be fair it wasn't all her fault, she clearly needed assistance but I would expect the situation to be acknowleded by service staff with a smile and perhaps an apology. Ordered eggs benedict and it was a tiny portion (1 poached egg!), egg was overcooked and I'm not sure what the sauce was but it couldn't have looked further from hollandaise (like a yellowy orange gloop). Bacon was nice. Nice selection of juices etc though they ran out and didn't replenish. Asked for ketchup but it never came. Just about passable but if I'd paid the £17.95 they want from non inclusive guests I'd have been making a complaint!

Anyway was so disappointed by the whole thing I thought that when we checked out and were asked how our stay was I might politely explain that the shower needs attention. But were we asked how we enjoyed our stay? No!! The guy just put our bill in front of us and asked where we were off to next! I can only assume he knows all too well what people will say when asked how things were, and is simply tired of hearing it now! Not what i would call customer service!

Did I mention this "experience" cost us £110? Honestly feel cheated.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank TiensV
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Myself and friends visited the glencoe inn on Saturday 13th july. We saw the picnic tables outside the inn were free and there was a menu on them. To our delight it stated food was served and all sounded delicious. I entered the side door of the bar to order and could not find a member of staff anywhere. I waited 10 mins and still no staff. Eventually a friend came in to see what the delay was, we had to shout hello a few times at the top of our voices. A gentleman came out the door of the back restaurant to tell us we could only order food in the adjacent 'gathering' section of the hotel. That was fine. We were impressed with the decor and standard of cleanliness of both sections and the food smelt very appealing. We placed our food order and the barman kindly advised us our order would be brought to us at the same time. Myself and partner had fish and chips. The waitress brought this out first. We were sitting outside. She put the meal down and said nothing. We were left waiting on cutlery that never arrived. I walked inside to collect this myself, by which time our fish and chips were cold. Well presented meal, however we were hungry. 10 minutes later the next order arrived at the table. The waitress clearly seemed annoyed at having to bring the food outside and down the slope to the main road. A reasonable amount of time passed and myself and partner had finished our meal when our other two friends meals arrived. We had to ask the waitress to bring more cutlery out. To this she tutted. When bringing the cutlery out she slammed it down on the table and walked away. Two friends had chicken burgers which looked tasty. However both stated the buns and chicken were extremely dry. We finished our meals and decided to go back round to the picnic tables to the side of the green as we wanted more drinks. My friend asked the bar man if he could make us coffees, he replied 'if he had to' he said they were expecting a coach full of people arriving and might not have time to do this. He reluctantly made us two lattes which we however enjoyed. We were overall disappointed after being told our meals would arrive at the same time, when they never, the quality of some of the food, I.e the dry chicken burgers and cold fish and chips and poor service and attitude from the staff. A friend also reported the barman was lectured by the manager in front of customers for accepting our food order as we were sitting beside the road. In the barmans defence he said 'but we did it yesterday' and was told, 'well not today'. This was poor and embarrassing for the barman and left the customers feeling very awkward. Disappointing staff! Such a shame as this place has so much to offer!!!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank joy r
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

That's how this chain of hotels is advertised by Crerar in their brochure we picked up at this( Inn, hotel) or whatever but not in my book it isn't . We stayed one night on our journey further north and believe me this was one too many. The bedroom 111 was very basic and small with no wardrobe to hang any clothes, no coat hooks even behind any doors, and in the bathroom not even a shelf over the sink for toiletries etc.
The table in the room was badly pitied and the surface bubbling, in fact I have a better table I would sell them cheap in my garage.
We dined next door in the hotel annex (the Glencoe Gathering) which was quite nice and the staff very friendly and helpful and the food acceptable. The breakfast was not too bad but this hotel lacks some badly needed TLC. How much would it cost to screw some coat hooks and fix a shelf?. Its down to a lack of care for the weary traveller. Its the last time we will use any of the other Crerar's hotels

1 Thank fisherman99503937
#1 of 2 in North Ballachulish
Holly Tree Hotel
Holly Tree Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kentallen

Been to The Glencoe Inn? Share your experiences!