“A Difference in a year”
Review of The Glencoe Inn

The Glencoe Inn
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We had the privilege of staying at the Glencoe Inn last year and wrote a very true and complimentary review.
We were travelling back home from Aviemore and decided that it might be nice to re-acquaint ourselves with the restaurant.
A member of staff came towards us (ringing his hands), we were under the impression he was a waiter. When we enquired about the availability of a table for two in the restaurant, we were informed that the restaurant would be open at 6.00 pm and that it was just for "Fine Dining". He, we did not know he was as he had not introduced himself, pointed towards the dining room which was the breakfast room and in no way ambient to "Fine Dining".
The hired help then went on to insult us by telling us of the Bar Meals available next door at the Highlander. We were disgusted that he thought we were not good enough to eat in his establishment.
We had intended booking a room for the night as we had enjoyed our previous stay so much, but in the light of this one person's attitude we left, upset and humiliated.
We will definitely NOT visit this hostelry again - ever.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
CDayGM, Manager at The Glencoe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank you for your review. I wish to apologise on behalf of my team member who has left you unwilling to return. I feel there was some very poor communication on behalf of my employee. Since your last visit we have started a program of improvements. This has included removing all bar meals and casual dining from the Inn and building a large bar and dining area next door. This has allowed us to form a new team of chefs to produce a fine dining menu within the Inn, while our current chefs focus on our relaxed seafood and grill menu next door. We have many repeat customers who arrive throughout the day looking for the old menu. They are then informed of the changes and offered the choice of restaurants. The fine dining is limited to evenings where as our new restaurant The Gathering, is open all day. Most head across to the Gathering as it provides the relaxed atmosphere they had remembered.
The way this was communicated to you was not in fitting with our standards and in no way did it meet our expectations in regards to providing a warm welcome. For this I sincerely apologise, the staff member in no way meant to offend you in the offering of the bar menu and he passes on his apologises. The floor staff have all received top up training on communication and body language to ensure this situation does not repeat itself.
I hope that this unfortunate incident does not put you off from returning, your previous visit left you with fond memories and I am sure we can help create a few more in the future.
Kind regards,
Michael Forster

Reviewed 15 August 2013

First the bad stuff. As some other reviewers have noted - Crerar need to manage this hotel properly. We were encouraged to have our evening meal at the adjoining Gathering even though there were some bookings available in the restaurant. When we arrived back at the bar later that evening the same staff member was working at check in desk, as the only bar tender and also as one of two waiting staff in the hotel restaurant.

We had breakfast on 2 mornings, on morning 1 staff were very helpful and service was a little slow. On morning 2, different staff, surley, no verbal communication ability, we were sat at an uncleared table, had to get our own cutlery. 2 other tables got their hot food before ours.

We had a double room for 2 adults & 2 children which waws bright, plenty of windows to open in the rare summer sunshine on some of the hottest days. We have no complaints about our room, I cant remember the room number.

Apart from one morning, I found the staff to be helpful and friendly. We werent in a rush so delays didnt bother us apart from morning 2 at breakfast.

Very nice spot to have a drink outside. The hotel could apply some of the level of service in the Gathering restaurant to the main hotel. Relaxed & quirky might describe the Glencoe Inn if you dont expect super speedy service.

Top marks for the Gathering, hotel needs improvement but I would return - check other reviews on what rooms to avoid.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
CDayGM, General Manager at The Glencoe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback.

I must apologise that the service on one of your mornings did not reach our standards, I can assure you that since your visit we have spent time with all our new staff to train and give them the confidence to provide the warm helpful service that we expect.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the Gathering restaurant, with its opening this summer it marked the first step in the improvement of the Inn, With that we have unfortunately suffered a slight dip in service with the influx of many new staff throughout the entire building. They are on a long program of training and I can assure you that should you return to us again in the near future then you will be able to see the dramatic improvements that have already taken place,

Your room; I believe it was 116, one of my favourites due to the view, feel free to request this room when you visit us again

Kind regards, Michael Forster

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Thsi place was awful. The room was tiny, the size of a large closet. the carpet was dirty, the floor and sink both sloped. the shower was miniscule although ours was in our room. It was warm this summer in Scotland and our room with a view got a lot of sun and was sweltering even with the fan they gave us. They claim to offer laundry service but do not in fact provide it unless you hang around for 2 days. The only reason to come near the hotel is to eat at the restaurant next door called the Gathering Place; it was good with good service and seems to share management with the Inn. The front desk was unattended often when staff were helping at the restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
CDayGM, Manager at The Glencoe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Thank you ydeng1 for your review. We are an historic building and as such our rooms do vary both shape and size, I can only apologise that you felt the room was too small for your needs. I am sure had you spoken to us, we would have, if possible, moved you into something more suitable.
Scotland is known for many wonderful things, unfortunately long hot summers are not one of them. We provide fans to help guests should we receive a rare heat wave; however we do not have the facilities to provide air conditioning.
We are a highland Inn, we have a small but friendly team and in the evenings the staff do share responsibilities of the bar and reception. As both are attached we feel we can do this without compromising our high level of service. If you feel we kept you waiting or we did not meet you expectations in regards to the reception service, then again please accept my sincere apologies.
I am pleased to see that you enjoyed our new restaurant and bar “The Gathering” it was the first phase of our improvement to the Inn and after only being open a few weeks I am happy that you found it a reason to return and that you would recommend it to others. I hope we see you again so that you can experience the other improvements due to the Inn over the coming months.
Kind regards,
Michael Forster

Reviewed 24 July 2013

One of the most unpleasant hotel stays we have had. I wish I had paid attention to the other reviews. We came to this area to climb Ben Nevis and hoped to get a good nights sleep the evening before. The first bedroom (111) was so small that the door was hitting off the bed, a small bathroom in the corner took up a good portion of the room with hardly enough floor space. We could have put up with this but the smell of fish and chips from kitchen vent of the adjoining restaurant just made it impossible.

The alternative room offered was at the front of the hotel on the main A82 road. The noise of trucks going by for the night actually caused the room the shudder. Even with earplugs sleep was Impossible.

We got up at 5am and made our way to Ben Nevis.

2  Thank Bridget H
Reviewed 19 July 2013

This Inn had been shut for a long time and we looked forward to seeing it in its new guise.
Downstairs was fine and the food adequate but the establishment was let down by the condition of the bedroom and the lack of professionalism among the staff.

Our bedroom had a cheap dressing table scarred and lumpy. The towel rail in the bathroom promptly fell on the floor when we lifted a towel. I reported the rail and was assured that a 'handy man' would fix it next day - no one came and it that it was not even reported was evident when I complained next day at reception.

The brochure stated a 'drying room' but no member of staff new what we were talking about!
The reception is frequently unmanned as it seems to double with bar service. I put the above points at reception and was assured that the tables were being replaced 'next week' and that there was a drying room! I was assured also that my representations would be discussed at the staff meeting 'next week'. I think that they should bring the meeting forward. I am familiar with good establishments and this is not one of them.

4  Thank ScottishVoyageur
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I booked this hotel due to it's location Glen Coe beautiful, but not this hotel.
This hotel is an embarrassment to Scotland and God only knows what visitors to our beautiful country think about us and our standard of service.
The Hotel receptionist was very unkempt and under pressure to serve at the bar, take food orders in the restaurant and serve meals.
We were booked in and off to our room 111, well have you ever booked into a hotel for two nights and have no wardrobe or clothes hanging facilities !!! The room was too small for a double bed. I had ordered flowers & champagne for our arrival, the champagne must have been in the room for a couple of hours because it was warm.
I could go on & on about this hotel, about it's bad service, lack of staff ect etc, staff who just don't have the correct attitude or training.

We were given a better room for our second nights stay, and in the morning when we were booking out, after some discussion with the manager re the whole of our stay we were presented with 3 bills, I agreed on the third one which had been reduced by £100 & not charged for the bottle of wine we had with our evening meal.

I'm sorry to say, but this hotel is an embarrassment to Scotland & I dread to think what visitors to our beautiful & historic part of Scotland thingk of us.

Mr Michael Kelly

Room Tip: Go to another hotel