“Very pricey for not very much”

Glencoe Hotel Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Ayrshire, Scotland
“Very pricey for not very much”
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We stopped off here today for refreshments and opted for four cups of tea and four scones. The service was not exceptional and nor was the fare. We paid £21.80 for this which I felt was extortionate for what we had.
Toilet facilities were drab. I'll give it a miss in future.

3 Thank bigburd

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Don't eat here”
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I had the misfortune of entering this establishment for a meal on Sat 30 Apr 2011.

In brief the service was terrible, the staff rude and the food offering appalling. This is the worst dining experience I have ever had in Scotland or anywhere else for that matter. I had hoped this standard of offering would have been left behind with the seventies or eighties but apparently not, and it saddens me to think what visitors to our country think when come across an establishment like this.

We, myself and my girlfriend, arrived at around 7.45pm and the bar was busy but not unusually so given that it was a holiday weekend. We were given a table after a short wait and this is when the problems began. We sat for approximately fifteen minutes before being asked for our order and even then we had to specifically ask to do that. The food when it arrived was of very poor quality. I had fish and chips which was passable but it was obliviously straight from the deep freeze and I am still waiting for the peas. My girlfriend had a vegetable lasagna and that was truly vile. An extremely poor quality readymade dish that was overheated and as a result was swimming in separated fat. When we complained to one of the waiting staff she had nothing to say, no explanation, apology, offer of an alternative or refund; I had to tell her that I was not paying for that dish, at which point she simply turned her back and walked off.

At this point I had finished what I was prepared to eat of my meal and we still had not had the drinks we had ordered. When asked about the drinks order the same waitress I had complained to simply stated that the bar was busy and that our order was being handled. This was despite the fact that several couples who had started eating after us had already been given their drinks. We then overheard the waitress in question complaining to a colleague that we were not in her section anyway. It may well have been the case but I am a customer and I do not care about sections I care about service.

The final insult was payment of the bill. On the stating that I wished to settle the bill for the single meal we had had I was escorted to the bar and then simply left to sort out the payment myself with a barman who was struggling to operate the cash register. The waitress who had taken our order simply disappeared. As such I then had to restate what I was paying for and why and at this point I was off a mind to simply walk out of the establishment.

A truly depressing experience and a disgraceful advert for Scottish tourism. You have all the benefits of location and a trunk road but can not even manage to deliver a plate of homemade food or organise and train your staff appropriately. A slot on Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares would not go amiss here. Glencoe Hotel is an absolute disgrace and I shall never set foot in it again.

2 Thank cuthill76