“We loved it and we'll be back!”
Review of Kings House Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glencoe Village
Kings House Hotel
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Four of us stayed in this historic and legendary highlands hotel for the first 4 days of June, 2011. It is located 10 miles East of the village of Glencoe in Argyll, Scotland. Kitty and Roderick Leitch are absolutely charming and knowledgeable inn keepers who goes out of their way to generously assist in any way they can. We are avid hikers and climbers and this area is a paradise for those who love the outdoors. Although the King's House is a classic country inn, with comfortable lounges, an attractive dinning room and 2 inviting bars, it has the warmth and personal touch of a family run bed and breakfast and is just as affordable. I can't say enough about how well we were treated but I'd like to add that this is my favorite part of Scotland and I couldn't imagine a better place to stay while exploring it.

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank walkerHighway

Reviewed 6 June 2011

Stayed one night as part of WHW trip. Hotel is very dated but that's what makes it so special and full of character and interesting history. We stayed in room 11 which was clean, very cosy and warm (great radiator!) and had beautiful views looking straight on to Buachaille Etive Mor. The food served in the bar was very good. Breakfast is not included in the room price and costs extra. Would stay here again if passing through.

1  Thank walkers_40
Reviewed 1 June 2011

As an expat I get asked a lot by people who are planning a trip to Scotland. I will not be recommending this place, as it could definitely do with an upgrade and refresh.

The main problems are that the rooms are not en-suite, the furnishings are old, and the general decor looks like it hasn't updated in decades. It might be a historic building, but it could still definitely be brought up to date.

We didn't eat dinner there (went to the Clachaig instead) but the breakfast was reasonably good. Still, the facilities show how Scotland is sometimes still a long way behind other destinations around Europe.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Macs adventure organised our stop over at kingshouse, at my request as it was on 17th May and my 50th birthday. We were walking the west highland way.
We arrived looking like 'drooked rats' due to the poor weather, to a very warm welcome by staff. We were informed of a 'drying room' for our wet gear, which was very much appreciated. When we got to our room there was a complimentry bottle of chilled wine and a note to wish me a happy birthday from the kings house, a very nice touch.
Evening meal in the pub was excellent, and my birthday celebrations went on to go to the climbers pub, staff were quite happy to keep the bar open as we were guests, which again I thought a nice touch. (sadly we had to be good and get to bed for the next days walk to Kinlochleven!)
Breakfast was the best that we had through the whole walk, home made creamy porridge, followed by excellent smoked haddock and perfect poached egg, loads of tea, and anything else we wanted. Service was quick and pleasant, staff extremely friendly.
Another nice touch was that due to poor phone reception I was unable to phone home, On checking out the receptionist gave me messages that family had phoned in and all was ok.
We were unlucky with the weather, so the views were fog and rain, though I know our room would have looked onto the Buachaille Ettive Beag, having climed the mountain a few years ago, and a well earned drink in the kings house. Service, staff, and surroundings were excellent then and it was good to find things still first class!! keep up the good work!

Room Tip: book early if you want an ensuite,
2  Thank WHW17052011
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I still can't get the image of the view of Buchaille Etive Mor from the big window in the lounge, complete with roaring log fire, out of my mind- staggering! That and the deer feeding on the lawn right outside my bedroom window. I count myself as being lucky to have had the opportunity to stay in this particular hotel as I know so many people try but are turned away due to it's popularity - so to all the staff a huge thank you for fulfilling part of my dream. My room, although basic was clean and comfortable, the bathroom I shared with one other guest was also spotless, the service in the bar was excellent as was the food - especially the Cranachan! I will definitely be back - and you may have to crowbar me out of the door to get me to leave next time!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 May 2011

We stayed in the Kings House hotel as part of our walk of the West Highland Way.

We had a nice room which was a little tried and dated. The room was clean and tidy except a used bar of soap had been left after the room had been cleaned.

The evening meal and breakfast was good. We had a packed lunch which was very nice.

Staff were all pleasant and helpful.

Fantastic location.

Reviewed 15 May 2011

We really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were very clean, beds were very comfortable.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. The location couldn't have been more spectacular. Thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Book well in advance, espically in May - Aug
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel
The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins
The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins
#1 of 1 in Kinlochleven

Been to Kings House Hotel? Share your experiences!