“Excellent location- needs a refurbishment” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kings House Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glencoe Village
Kings House Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent location- needs a refurbishment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

The rooms are small and the furnishings dated- the bed in particular was exceedingly small. Food is average, but it's the only place to stay if you're doing the West Highland Way, so I suppose there isn't a huge incentive for them to upgrade the property. The views out of the residents lounge are amazing and it was a wonderful place to sit after dinner and relax with views of Buachaille Etive Mor.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

This old hotel does have lot of charm. Rooms are a bit basic but have what is needed and are comfortable. Heating and hot water never a problem. Some lovely views. The deer are a bonus. The bar, lounge and other seating areas are cosey and relaxing. Food is served in large portions and is of good quality and is a good price. The change to b and b pricing is a shame as the extra £20 on the basic room price feels a bit steep for breakfast-but their full breakfast is huge. Not so good for vegetarians. Overall a lovely place. Staff always very pleasant and rooms clean. I will be back.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Having spent the day walking 20 miles of the West Highland Way I could not wait to get into the Kings House Hotel. I had booked an en-suite room as a treat as I knew that this would be a long walk and tough on my feet. The room it's self was adequate and dog friendly. Small but comfortable. The en-suite was pokey with no windows. I turned on the shower and waited for hot water. After 10 mins I gave up and had to find a member of staff. He didn't know what the fault was and advised that I use the shared bathroom (he didn't really know where this was though). There seemed to be only 1 shared bathroom and a queue for this.
In the morning, the fire alarm went off. Having had 3 different members of staff in my bedroom in the space of 2 mins advising me to evacuate it was clear that their fire evacuation plan was a cause for concern. Thankfully it was some lucky guest that had hot water that set the sensor off and not flames!
The staff were really friendly and my dog could be with me in the bar whilst I ate my dinner. At breakfast I was accommodated in the lounge so my dog could be with me which was great. I did get money off my bill but I was a bit disappointed. I'm not sure if I will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Watford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

I stayed here with a group of friends when we walked the West Highland Way.

The hotel is in at atmospheric location, with deer often standing right in front of the hotel. The place is in need of modernisation, but the prices charged for accommodation would only be justifiable after renovations had been carried out. That said, the rooms are a decent size. Wi-fi is available, but only in a small part of the hotel (along part of a corridor, and in a small corner of the bar area).

There's a good selection on the dinner menu and it's reasonably priced, and the portions are quite large. Similarly for breakfast - a good choice of options. Packed lunches are available but they're the most expensive that I found along the whole of the West Highland Way.

Room Tip: Avoid room 3 (and perhaps also room 4), as it's right next to the hotel's loading bay, which...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Claremont, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed here along our walk of the WHW. It is a wonderfully historic place so staying in their rooms is like living a bit of history. It is not new, updated, and modern, but is still very comfortable, warm, and filled with friendly staff. No TV's anywhere add to the remote feel, but wifi is readily available for those in need. The view from the window of our triple room was stunning. Deer and pheasant were abundant. Our favorite spot was down in the pub by the fire where we had a cozy steak and ale pie among other traditional Scottish pub dishes. Breakfast was perfectly directed by their hostess, an older lady who was extraordinarily attentive and caring.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank zicheryzachery1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

If these walls could talk, they'd cry out for a lick of paint. How this dive of a place got a Certificate of Excellence is beyond me.

Let's talk about the good points of the hotel first. It has an amazing view, there are friendly deer hanging about outside... and that's it. Oh yeah, and it's the only hotel on this stretch of the West Highland Way so they're going to charge you a fortune to stay here. If this hotel were anywhere else they'd be lucky to get £40 a night.

When we arrived (at 3:30pm) there was no friendly welcome: in fact reception was closed and there was no one on the bar either. Not exactly what you want when you've walked 20 miles and just want a shower. Our room was absolutely miserable. Woodchip paper flaking and peeling off the wall, Mildew looking stuff on the ceiling, and a shower that was constantly scalding hot as the cold tap didn't work.

I'm no stranger to manky hotels, but for £100+ per night I expect a LOT more. Especially since breakfast is not included in that price. We were walking the West Highland Way, and every hotel we stayed in along the route was cheaper: with a big generous breakfast included. At the King's House I overheard one of the staff telling another guest that she couldn't have porridge and cereal, just one or the other. Um, she's paying £12 odds for brekkie, over £100 for a room, and you're grudging the lass a mini 25p pack of cornflakes?

The wall in the breakfast room was disgusting too, with splashes of unidentified brown liquid all over the dated wallpaper. It's like nobody cares enough about the place to run a cloth around.

Honestly, the whole place had a really run down feel to it. It wasn't just the dated decor, it was the fact that the carpets were all threadbare and the paper was peeling off the walls. I'm fine with dated, I'm not fine with filthy. I would never stay here again, even if you paid me. It's truly a shame because honestly it's in such a beautiful location, and if they put a bit of effort in and did it up even a wee bit it could be a real gem.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JemmaEatWorld
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We have just got back from a wonderful short stay at the kings house hotel and I could not recommend it more. From the moment we stepped through the door it felt like home, from the lovely staff through to the home cooked food and good company. For those who complain about the decor, yes it is by no means modern, but that is what gives the hotel character and it shouldn't be changed. Food in the bar was very good as was breakfast. The room was basic but all we needed and had a great view. No TV in rooms, sporadic mobile phone reception depending on where you stand. Wifi hotspot in the hall and in certain spots in the bar. All in all a wonderful memorable stay and we will most definitely be staying here again the next time we visit Scotland. I can totally understand why people go back again and again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 2 in North Ballachulish
The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins
The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins
#1 of 1 in Kinlochleven

Been to Kings House Hotel? Share your experiences!