“Excellent one night stop on the WHW”
Review of Kings House Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glencoe Village
Kings House Hotel
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Excellent one night stop on the WHW”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This is an old hotel with history. We had an adequate 3 bed ensuite room - a bit cramped for 3 adults with luggage, and with no view. Everything was very clean and comfortable, but the towels were a bit old. Lovely bath with lots of hot water. We arrived very wet and were told to leave our wet clothes in the drying room on the 1st floor. This was very useful, and our things dried well overnight. The hotel has a couple of nice but old fashioned lounges, and the whole building was really warm. One has no choice but to eat in the hotel unless you have a car, but don't worry - the food served in the bar is excellent and very well priced. All the staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast choice is very good, but I've had better porridge elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Kelso, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Despite being in a modern extension, our room was very tired looking with shabby furniture. Lots of DIY had been done with a huge mastik gun - and not done at all well. We had shared facilities and the shower and fittings were mouldy and dirty. This was very expensive at £90 for the room. The only saving grace was the magnificent view along Glen Coe. I feel the hotel should invest more in their facilities as this is a popular hotel and visited from people all over Europe who come climbing and walking the West Highland Way.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Stopped off here for a coffee to break up the journey up north, 6 coffees £7.50, with biscuits! Bargain.
Good friendly service albeit not refined, it is in the middle of nowhere remember.
Would I go again? Yes we did on the way back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The advantage of this hotel is its location. It is the only hotel in this valley and this is the main reason why this hotel is always fully booked. The hotel is very basic and run by students/boarders (ver friendly though). I learned that during Winter this hotel is populair amongst snowboarders. The hotel reminded me to the cheap accommodations in the ski resort I stayed in when I was a student. For me this hotel is more a hostel than a hotel.

The hotel is not very clean and the interior very old. My (single) room was small and I had to share the bathroom. There was a hole in my door and the wallpaper on the ceiling in the bathroom (yes it still exists...) was falling down from the ceiling. The owner of this hotel hasn't invest in this hotel for many years and he/she probably will never do as there is no competition in this valley.

A lot of WHW walkers book a room in the next valley. Some owners of these accommodations transfer the guests to and from the valley for free. This is probably the best option...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I was a little disappointed when I arrived (I suppose anything would be disappointing after my accommodation at Bridge of Orchy). My room was basic and not ensuite. Ensuite didn't seem to be an option for a single room, although I had asked for that when I originally booked, and would have paid for a double room. Unfortunately the person I was sharing the bathroom with didn't seem to realise she was sharing the bathroom, leaving her walkin socks strewn across the floor and running a bath at 6am which was a little noisy. The room was clean though and I had a fabulous view of Buchaille Etive Mor and hotel staff feeding the local deer. My evening meal of vegetable curry was disappointing, though I enjoyed the cranachan. There was a good atmosphere in the bar in the evening. Breakfast was good standard fare and the packed lunch was very good. If I go again I will insist on an ensuite room, though the price of a single with shared bathroom was very good value.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Rachel C
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

When we walk the West Highland Way we always stay here. You have to book at least 6 months in advance so really that says it all. Its really old fashioned and some might not like the dated decor but the bed linen is always clean and the food is good which is always welcome after a 20 mile hike from Tyndrum.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have stayed here 3 times, leading groups on WHW trips. Firstly I cannot speak highly enough of Jessie and Mary who take reservations, they have helped me tremendously over the years as the group bookings have needed changes and even organized things such as birthday cakes etc. - always an absolute pleasure to work with. Rooms have always been clean, the ones with views are wonderful and lots of character, and lovely living room. Even though I've been in large groups dining service is fast and efficient and food is good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
#1 of 2 in North Ballachulish
The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins
The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins
#1 of 1 in Kinlochleven

Been to Kings House Hotel? Share your experiences!