“Incredible, worth the day trip”
Review of Mudjin Harbor

Mudjin Harbor
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I had read a lot about Mudjin harbour and how beautiful it is so we decided to take the ferry and rent a car to see it for ourselves. The ferry is $25 per person, each way and it takes about 30 minutes. It's a nice ride. Once at Middle Caicos ferry dock we met the guy with the rental car which cost us $60 for the day. The car came with 1/4 tank of gas, gas is expensive, but we only used about 1/4 tank and it cost us $20 US.

It was pretty straight forward to get to Mudjin Harbour, we parked at the Blue Horizon Resorts. We had the beach to ourselves almost the entire afternoon. We were actually able to walk out to Dragon Cay and hang out on the beach there. We had the place to ourselves. We explored a cave and the top of the cliffs and another beach between two of the cliffs. It was fantastic. We ate lunch at the restaurant and then set out to find Bambarra beach which someone told us was even nicer....it wasn't in our opinion. First, we took what seemed like a super sketchy, unmarked dirt road with tons of pot holes filled with water (it must have rained the day before) to the end where we found what seemed like an abandonned thatched huts. It was smelly from the garbage bins and port o potties. The water was nice and the beach was long in this spot, not deep. We stayed for 10 minutes and headed back to Mudjin harbour.

1  Thank Ruttegger
There are newer reviews for Mudjin Harbor

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I gave it four stars because it takes a little effort to get there from Providenciales. You have to take ferry to north caicos and then drive/taxi to middle caicos.

We stayed at palms regent in Providenciales, about 10 min to ferry. Taxi is $18/couple one way to ferry not including tip, or rent a car around $45/day

$100 for both of us round trip on ferry. Ferry Schedule limited on sun/holiday. Can find schedule online or ask hotel for it. Tiny boat. Holds about 40 people. No motion sickness for me. It was easy 20 min ride.

You must rent car at north caicos to drive to mudjin harbor. Otherwise it is $80/couple one way from north caicos to mudjin not including tip for taxi. Car rental about $70 + $30 gas (if all you are driving to is to mudjin harbor and then back to ferry) Gas is $6.5/gallon. From north caicos it is about 22miles

Renting a car at north caicos.
My hotel booked through Easy A
If I were to do it again I probably would try a different company
Here's the issues I had with this company. At hotel night before when booking they tried to get me to agree to jeep with insurance coverage for $100. I said no and they agreed to get me compact for $75. When I showed up at north caicos the guy only had a jeep and charged me $10 extra, hence $85. Was this bate and switch? There are a few other rental companies and they all will drop off car for you or pick you up I think. So I was stuck paying extra for a jeep. It was dirty inside and out, had 72k miles, the engine light was on and I asked the guy and he said don't worry about it. The zippered back broke, which left the entire back expose to rain and mosquito since I couldn't zip it closed. Also no air conditioning. And he told me i had full tank when it was obvious i didn't. By the time I caught this he was gone and I had agreed to bring it back full.

I would try another company if I had to do it over as the price I think to rent is comparable among the different car rentals. I didn't like how they try to sell me the $100 rental night before when it was obvious they had cheaper vehicle available.

Mudjin bay
Beautiful, worth the trouble to go from Providenciales.
22miles and 40 min. drive From where ferry drops you off at north caicos. Drive was not bad. Right out of the lot you have choice go straight or turn right. Turn right. It is literally like existing the parking lot, turn right. Then there are two major turns after this and you just continue on the same road afterwards. The signs are smalls. The first major turn was at a T intersection and it said middle caicos. I think you turn left here. The second major turn I saw a sign for daniel's cafe which I knew was a little bit pass mudjin harbor so I turned that direction, which I think is a right.

I didn't see signs coming back for the ferry. pay attention where you turn to get there and do the reverse.

Look for blueish top buildings. Lunch great there, lobster bits And fish. Free wifi. Mosquito not bad when I went. Climb to top was easy, at the restaurant.. Sandle ok to climb up there
mosquito repellent would be advisable, got bit going down the hill but at the beach itself, was fine.

2  Thank Smokiedokie2
Reviewed 31 August 2013

MY husband and I took the ferry from Providenciales to North Caicos.And take a taxi cab to Middle Caicos for a day trip. Mudjin Harbor is beautiful and perfect beach to spend all day doing nothing

Swimming in turquoise blue waters and being alone on the beach was perfect. Don't miss this one and enjoy the day

1  Thank starzin
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We took the day trip to North/Middle Caicos. While Mudjin Harbor was beautiful to look at, it was too windy to go and sit on the beach and/or snorkel.

The mosquitoes were also difficult to deal with - my husband and I were fine, but they swarmed our 11 year old son. He had on bug spray with DEET but the locals say that just angers the mosquitoes.

Had we been able to sit on the beach and snorkel, it may have been a more pleasant experience. (Not that it was unpleasant, just different.)

I would take the time and take the pontoon boat on Chalk Sound or rent a kayak on Sapodilla Bay vs. taking the day trip to North/Middle Caicos.

1  Thank Connie F
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Middle Caicos,often overlooked by tourists is the home to Mudjin Harbor, Dragon Cay and the Secret Beach. We followed the signs and parked by the Blue Horizon Resorts, I was a bit confused where to park. Just drive on up to the Grill and Resort there will be a sign to the beach. Follow the path and you will come up a ridge and the view of the beach is really beyond description, and it keeps getting better,
We arrived at Mudjin harbor at about 10am and the surf was high and rough, Simply awesome, sea spray from the rock formations making up Dragon Cay held or attention for quite some time. We realized we could not make our way to Dragon Cay by way of the Sand Bar becasue the surf was cascading at the point from what seems like three directions. The undertow was super strong. We walked along the beach and looked for shells while enjoying the caves. On the left the view is of giant rocks in the distance and a sharp cliff jutting out, the bottom carved by the surf reveals a beach, appearing unapproachable.
Up past the grill is a path made of coral and limestone revealing the most panoramic views, a praying hand statue and a stairway seemingly into the earth leading to a cave and the beach we sought.
What a super place to be and we were the only people on this beach. During our time on the beaches of Mudjin Harbor we only saw two groups of people. There were more people at the grill however.
After some time on the secret beach we noticed the tide went down and we could make it to Dragon Cay. We climed back through the cave and up the stairs and back to the sand bar. It was still a bit rough but totally manageable. Once on the actual isand we climbed the jagged rock "Dragon" and it revealed lava rock carvd by the sea, small pools of sea water with small brine shrimp growing. The rock was jagged and my partner was cut, so be careful. The surf was really churning at the back of the Dragon, it was beautiful white marshmallow fluff among the sea spray. It looked soft and welcoming. Interesting that such roughness could be so beautiful and serene.
We have heard that when Mudjin Harbor is still the snorkeling is great!. We ventured to Middle Caicos from Provo so for us the rough surf was a lovely experiance. We would not have changed a thing.
Worth every minute. Don't Miss the experiance.

2  Thank LittleShelleyZen