“best vacation for relaxation hands down!”

Tradewind Guest Suites on Salt Cay
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Salt Cay
World citizen
“best vacation for relaxation hands down!”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

From the arrival on the small plane to the quiet atmosphere of the island and the awesome nature and people Tradewinds is a great place with a great price.
Not luxurious but all needs are covered. The location is central to all the activites and a car is not needed! bikes are provided and fun is guaranteed!

Room Tip: only five rooms - samll one bedrooms actually and the 2 end units have full kitchens! others only mi...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Glassangel

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Virginia
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We have stayed at Tradewinds and enjoyed the hospitality of Salt Cay Divers many times in the past. If you are looking for a laid back island adventure with outstanding diving, beach accommodations, and most of all, personalized attention to ensure a relaxed and fulfilling dive destination, Tradewinds in conjunction with Salt Cay Divers is highly recommended. Be careful, you'll fall in love with Salt Cay like we did many years ago. Debbie Manos has been tending to the needs of her guests for many years and has quite a following of those who return to enjoy Salt Cay's quaint surroundings, something that is becoming increasingly rare in vacation destinations. If you are looking for an experience away from the tourist Mecca's and endless throngs of people, you can't beat Salt Cay and Salt Cay Divers/Tradewinds. Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank daoCharlotte
Mendocino, California
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I have stayed at Tradewinds several times and love the access to the dive shop, the Coral Reef and the peace and quiet. Come here...come to Salt Cay while it is still the old caribbean.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marlo M
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 30 August 2011

This island is such a gem! Definitely off the beaten path, and I hope it stays that way, as development would ruin it for sure. You must be able to sit back and relax if you are going to come here, but it is well worth it, and the food and people are fantastic! Tradewinds is managed by Debbie, who also seems to run much of the rest of the island :-D and with good reason. She was there to pick us up from the airport (and everyone else, b/c she runs the books there!) and also runs the restaurant/ dive shop next door, which was fantastic (see my separate review :) . Can't say enough good things- nothing fancy, but just enough! (Great sea glass on the beach, just outside your door, too! :)

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank vabeachgrl_02
Angleton, Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Five of us, including my wife, a non-diver, went to Salt Cay in June, Diving Salt Cay has been on my "bucket list" for close to 20 years and we finally made it down. The resort is nice. It's not fancy but it's nice. It does have AC. Our room had a full kitchen, some of the others had less in the way of a kitchen. We had plenty of water for showers. The rooms were clean. Our bed was comfortable and didn't hear any complaints from the other 3 with us. It was a dive trip and the diving was fantastic. The staff was friendly and helpful. We enjoyed visiting with them. Debbie Manos, the owner, was very reponsive to emails as I was setting the trip up and helpful while we were there. It's about 200 yards from the resort to the dive shop and resturant - all run by Debbie. The dive boats were Carolina Skiffs though it was sort of slow when we were there - a very good thing - and they were only running one boat. At times I think we were the only 4 people diving on the island. The diving was great. They took us over for two dives on Grand Turk one morning and we went to the wreck of the Endymion, an old British warship one morning. The Endymion is about 15 miles away and that counts as one of your 2 tanks trips but don't miss this. It's well worth it. We stopped my Big Sand Cay on the way back. The sea birds were nesting and the number of birds in the air was just unbelievable. Beautiful white sand beaches too. The divemast, Richard, was great - very accomodating. We did one night dive and saw all sorts of things including a cloud of some sort of small squidd. I saw things here I've never seen anywhere else in close to 1700 dives. We did the 15 dive package. I recommend that.

We were told there are 63 permanent residents on the island and the people are genuinely very friendly. When you meet someone on the street you speak to them.

There's really not a lot for non-divers to do. The small stores are often not open and they have only very basic stuff. I don't mean this as a criticism. It's just the way it is.

We biked around the island quite a bit. On Friday a couple of us hiked to a small hill near the resort, We could see water 360 degrees around us except for a narrow sliver at the far end of the island where there is a hill slightly higher than the one we were on.

Room Tip: The room furtherest from the entrance gate had a full kitchen.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank D0uglasT
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 August 2011

My husband and I had the most relaxing time on Salt Cay. We were part of a group of 11 - the FREEDOM DIVERS. Debbie took care of us even before we touched down on the island. The rates for the hotel suites and the food-plan were very reasonable, the food was excellent, and the local people were very welcoming! This is a must-do for a no-frills dive trip. Honestly, the best part of the trip was not doing my hair or make-up or worrying about what to wear! The diving was good - Richard was an amazing guide and very knowledgable about the local marine life. Debbie was incredibly accommodating - giving us free rein of our schedules. The island itself was fun to explore with a LOT of great history. Our rooms were basic island-rooms - nothing fancy - but who needs fancy on a dive trip? Our AC did not work well - but with the door and windows open the breeze was constant and very tolerable. We are already talking about our return trip.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hayungs4
dc
Reviewed 10 April 2011

First, I should say that Richard is the best divemaster I have ever had. He was excited about showing his divers any and all marine life, and made a point of it. He kept the group together but still left freedom for personal exploration. He is just really darn good.

The Tradewinds is lovely. Really, I could go back and just lie in one of the hammocks and not dive for a week just to unwind, and stay a second week to dive. If I had the discipline not to dive, which I don't. But you could not ask for a calmer, nicer, lovelier place, with the wind in the trees, the shade from those same trees, the little screened porches, the sound of the surf. They really are small apartments - a large living room, kitchenette, bathroom and large bedroom, plus large screened porch. Debbie, the owner, was always very helpful and could arrange domestic air or the night's dinner at any of the island's three restaurants if you wanted. I normally don't return to places often, as the world is a big place and I want to see everything, so I don't have time for return trips. But I could see coming back to Tradewinds! And please do read about Salt Cay before you come - this is NOT Provo, it is not the Regent, there are no palm trees, it is not a chain hotel with marble floors and a concierge. If you want that, do not go to Salt Cay.

Room Tip: all 5 rooms are perfect - there is no best one.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
#2 of 3 in South Caicos
Grand Turk Inn
Grand Turk Inn
#2 of 4 in Cockburn Town

Been to Tradewind Guest Suites on Salt Cay? Share your experiences!