“Pure paradise .. tropical, secluded, perfection. Leave your cell phones behind!"”

COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Parrot Cay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Just returned and all I can say is, can I please go back?! I went with my best friend - we are late thirties - she is married but getting divorced, and I was seeking a total escape from crazy life working in TV, and my shrapnel-laden love relationship. Where to begin. The service is so friendly .. everyone from the pool to the beach to the front desk, is so eager to please and deliver you whatever delights you. It feels a bit like being in Bali. Keep in mind, this is the only resort on the island, so it is very quiet, nothing to do off resort unless you take a boat back to the main island which is 30 min away ... hardly anyone does that. This is paradise, why would you leave. But if you tend to be antsy and need a lot of stimulation, music at night with 4 restaurants to choose from and crowded, posh bars full of sunning richies and a singles scene, head elsewhere. There are two restaurants, one is not open full time. there are two bars, but the one you will spend most time at, is right by the pool. There are probably only 100 people at the resort at any one time so it is quiet. A lot of foreigners - Brits, South Americans, Frenchies - and then Americans (mostly from NYC, CT., LA) and also the sweetest number of couples on a babymoon, taking one last romantic trip before they have a baby. Only other singles were a couple of wealthy, guy, thirty-somethingers from NYC who at the last minute, passed up the Hamptons that weekend, to fly in for one day. No surprise, they couldnt put their blackberrys down by the pool, all day. Ha. Come looking for nothing than to let your mind escape. Most nights you are back in your room by 11p. The waters are an indescribable shade of aquamarine. And you cannot go without attending the spa. Highly recommend Thai massage with Nina, and acupuncture/shiatsu with Yuki. And get there early and relax in the positively serene jacuzzi underneath the trees off the womens locker room. I think I met God there. Ugh. And afterwards, order the COMOShambala spiced ginger tea. I tried to buy it but of course, it is some secret recipe. Style of resort is of an old plantation so don't come looking for super swish modern, corporate resort sprawling luxury like a Marriot or Lowes. There is one pool, one stretch of private beach that feels like you and twenty friends have been invited to someone's amazing beach house...and the food is mostly terrific, and yes, I'm a picky foodie. Breakfast is included each day and it is amazing. Movies/CD's are available at the front desk if all the serenity has you bored. A small selection of locals who own villas, and also those of the wealthy set, who rent a villa on property, stumble into the pool bar and restaurant each night so it feels very local and private. Donna Karan and Keith Richards own Villas down from this resort and if your quite nice to Sica at the front desk, he can arrange a private tour of some of them, if they are not in residence. Yoga and pilates are the thing here .. although in our four days there, we didnt indulge in that as much. The property manager is Grant Noble - he looks like Gordon Ramsay and has an intoxicating South African accent. Putra by the pool, Sica from the front desk, and the boys down at the beach who rescue you if your free water sports (kayaks, wind surfing) go awry, are so lovely and memorable. Always smiling. Few negative callouts - beach chairs need cushions for maximum lush on my fanny ... breaky service is at times slow but who cares, what are you rushing for ... the sun waits for you. Though you can upgrade to an ocean view room, we found the entry level garden view rooms awesome. Perfectly appointed, mosquito netting around the bed, plantation porch with a perfect little view of ocean, ipod docking systems in room along with flat screen tvs and dvd players. Only mistake is if you come here looking for stimulation or tons of people and a big party...and if you forgo the spa trying to save money. That is a huge part of the experience. I really went needing to escape a sad heart and get in touch with my soul. Well my heart is still sad but the quiet paradise and the spa, soothed my being. It is just pure paradise. Leaving left my heart sad, but I know I will be back. Ugh and I am just reminded of the darling little afternoon tea service in the very svelte little library. Because its a British island, they have a mini afternoon tea service complete with sweets and nibbles. This place is perfect for romantic getaways, couples, and families with maybe one child. Otherwise, teenagers will be bored as there is little to do other than relax and order coconut drinks, and families with many children in tow, especially overstimulated toddlers etc, probably best look into the beaches sandals resort on the main island, instead. This really is not a resort for kids. Thank you parrot cay ... ugh and I found the hugest conch shell on the beach behind my chair, like something you would buy in a souvey shop. PS - if you live in london, keep eyes peeled for article/review coming out soon. We met gal on vacay there who was reviewing the place for the Daily Mail. She got to stay in a private villa with her own private butler... lucky Brit!

Room Tip: Room number 508!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Talski37
ParrotCay164, Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
Thank you for your wonderful glowing review. We have noted your feedback to improve certain areas and we look forward to welcoming you back to Parrot Cay.

- Manager -

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Myself and a friend traveled to the beautiful island of Turks and Caicos in March of this year. I have been to the Caribbean before however this was the first time in Turks and Caicos. Both myself and my friend are extensive world travelers.
The resort is beautiful, the grounds are well kept and and there's is a strong feeling of privacy. The beach is definitely impressive with fine white sand and the water with it's almost surreal turquoise hue. This place is very quite and after 9pm there's not much you can do. If you're looking for a place of deep relaxation this is it. If you're looking for a party place this is not a good option for you. The spa is beautiful and it's services are great. We also took yoga and pilates classes and loved the instructors.We had a garden view room (which needs a bit of renovation and doesn't quite justify the price) with a nice patio and two single beds. The two restaurants on the property have amazing food and the service at the restaurant and on the beach or the pool is one of the best I have received.

The whole unpleasantness started in the room. When we arrived we didn't have a dial tone. We talked to the front desk and replaced our phone because it was broken. We also had a problem with the key: it would take about a minute to wiggle the key and open the door. We called the front desk several times and eventually they replaced the key. And then we had another incident. We were watching TV one evening and all of a sudden I notice something moving on the top of the cabinet underneath the TV. It was a big cockroach. My friend sprayed it with whatever we had handy and threw it in the toilet. We proceeded to search the entire room to see if there were any others. Needless to say I couldn't sleep at all that night.
The next day we went to the front desk and told them what happened. The ladies servicing the desk at the time were Elizabeth and Keisha, with one of them being front desk manager. The reaction we got was very disappointing, no "we are sorry for the inconvenience" or "what can we do to make your stay more pleasant" which are the basics. It was more of a "devil may care" attitude. We were asked if we are allergic ( to what, in case we swallow it ?) but weren't explained anything. The next day we talked to a different manager and he told us that they ask the allergy question because they would have to spray the room we sleep in.
For a five star resort the front desk service, attitude and manners was way below expectations. I have traveled all over and have worked in the travel industry for many years. I had different expectations from a resort like this and they were not met.
I don't think I would recommend this place to someone else without telling them what they might have to deal with when they get there.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank SimonaV10
Thank you for your feedback and we have taken note your points and address it with Management staff concerns. We sincerely appreciate your comments as it helps to better our level of service. We look forward to welcoming you back.

-Manager-
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 June 2011

We had been in parrot cay five times before. We travelled the last few years to other places in the world to comparable resorts(small hotels). Coming back here was as if coming home again. The resort on this private island is great. But what makes this unique are the staff. A good mix of local staff with many from Bali and the far east.
For those who have been to Bali will understand what I mean.
The restaurants are great.
The spa is still the best in the world, also because of the staff but the spa buildings are fantastic.
We will certainly go back.
One remark, before booking we will ask about maintenance work in public area.

• Stayed June 2011
Thank you for your positive review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Parrot Cay.

Manager
Arizona
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Don't believe any bad reviews. My only thought as to why someone would write a bad review is because they had buyers remorse...the place is very pricey, but sooooo worth it.
This resort had the most fantastic beach and grounds, very lush and calm.
Food was excellent....... I actually would do the food package it saves you about $200 a day and is worth the money.
Staff were fantastic, it felt like you were in Bali. The majority of the staff are from Indonesia and are so customer service oriented.
Rooms, very clean and comfortable. WIFI worked great.
Spa was amazing and the Yoga instructor was excellent.
Definite go to place for romance and small toddlers can get on well here too with the beach being very calm.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room here.
Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank danny9ds
Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Parrot Cay.

- Manager -
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 24 May 2011

HOTEL REVIEW # 182 Parrot Caye

MY TRAVEL STYLE: If possible, I try to stay away from business hotels and strongly prefer resorts that resemble the Four Seasons, Aman, and Oberoi but try to find similar properties at lower cost. I seek out the “wow” experiences.

LOCATION: Excellent. On a private island with an excellent beach.

BEST WAY TO GET THERE: Free shuttle from the airport is a 15 minute drive to the doc and a 30 minute boat ride to the hotel.

TYPE OF ROOM:

Garden View. Some garden view rooms are lower levels but still have ocean views.

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: Mattresses were old but were compensated with down bedding. I liked the sheets but my wife thought they felt like thin paper. Pillows were down.

LIGHTING: Good lighting in room and bathroom.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: Not good. Had a feel of an inexpensive hotel. Shower had no door and bathroom had no fan. Everything felt cheap and old.

TOILETRIES: Excellent, products of the hotel’s spa.

CLEANLINESS: Rooms were clean but the resort definitely was lacking cleanliness throughout. No attention to details.

A/C: Worked well.

CLOSET SPACE: Decent amount of space but no closet doors, just hanging curtains… cheap!

STYLE OF ROOM: Comfortable but nothing special.

COMMON AREA: The areas that would have ocean views are blocked by bushes, trees, and sand dunes. I was shocked that there were so many ocean view opportunities at the pool and at the restaurant that were intentionally blocked. The pool was excellent as well as the beach. The resort grounds are mediocre. Again, not attention to detail anywhere. Felt more like a $175/night hotel when in the common areas.

QUIET: Our room was quiet.

FOOD: Mixed. Some nights the food was outstanding and other nights were average. Overall it was enjoyable but very expensive. One night the least expensive entrée was $45. Appetizers were in the $20s and desserts were all $18 (they do have brownie with ice cream if you ask for it for $12. Delicious! Drinks by the beach/pool were $18 and were not made with fresh fruit and were average. Cooked items at breakfast was very good but the small buffet was not impressive in terms of selection/quality as well as the way it was displayed.

TV/INTERNET: Didn’t use the TV in the room but the size was definitely too small for how far away the couch was. Wireless internet in the room worked well but there was no internet at the beach or pool.

SERVICE: Terrible. Staff were indifferent and didn’t seem to want to cater to guests. We always had to get our own towels by the pool. Service at restaurants were borderline nonexistent… my water was almost never filled without asking, and they never asked how are food tasted. Probably the worst service I have ever experienced at a restaurant with prices at this level. I can go on and on about the lack of service and at $750 per night for the least expensive room, this is not acceptable.

SUMMARY/TIPS: If staying in a garden view room, definitely try to get a room that has a partial ocean view. Some of the garden view rooms are on the lower level but are at the same height as the ocean view rooms due to a hill. We stayed at the Gansevoort after this stay and although we think this hotel is very over priced, we liked the exclusivity and the lack of crowds at the beach/pool compared to the Gansevoort. If you are going to stay in Turks, this is probably still your best bet for peace and tranquility (unless you have $1200 per night to burn at the Aman).

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
15 Thank TravelSnob1
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your constructive feedbacks and will definitely review and work on it. We do hope you will change your mind to return and stay with us when your travel brings you back to Turks & Caicos.

-Manager-
Reviewed 9 May 2011

My husband and I went to Parrot Cay for our 1st anniversary.

Pros: Yoga, Pilates, food, beach, spa, tennis, secluded, privacy

Cons: service spotty at times, especially in the restaurants, rooms were simple and dated, food and drink extremely pricey

Overall, we had a wonderful time but I wouldn't return. I think there are much nicer resorts in Caribbean

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank elvis2867
ParrotCay164, Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this review, 12 May 2011
We are pleased that you have had a nice time at Parrot Cay and hopeful that you will change your mind and decide to return to Parrot Cay. Thank You.

- Hotel Manager -
Reviewed 9 May 2011

The combination of the purposeful simplicity, the incredibly personal treatment from the loveliest staff, one of our favorite spas, and the feeling of being in the middle of no where makes Parrot Cay a place we always want to stay longer and can never wait to come back to! It possesses the rare ability to make us feel healthful and indulged at the same time.
When my long time partner and father of our child decided to officially get married, we knew Parrot Cay was the perfect place: certain that it would be beautiful, that the food would be delicious and festive, that all the guest would feel happy and well taken care of.. and that we would be at ease! From the sunrise ocean ritual in the morning to our ceremony on the beach at sunset under a driftwood canopy dripping with orchids..the bonfire, the lamb spit roast as just part of the feast, the great local band, the exquisite wedding cake made by the pastry chef, the late night pool party...the staff made sure to make it our best day!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank ansist
ParrotCay164, Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this review, 10 May 2011
Thank you for your glowing review and it was an honor for us to be able to share your 'special moment' at Parrot Cay. We look forward to welcoming you home! - Hotel Manager -
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parrot Cay
Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
The Regent Grand
The Regent Grand
#8 of 45 in Providenciales

Been to COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos? Share your experiences!