“Absolute Paradise”

COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Parrot Cay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 July 2011

My husband and I recently traveled to Parrot Cay for our honeymoon. We arrived fresh from our wedding, and were looking for someplace quiet and private after our busy week. Upon check in at Parrot Cay, we immediately knew it would be difficult to leave. We are typically very critical and particular, so given that we really have nothing bad to say about Parrot Cay really is telling as to how wonderful it is. We were alarmed at first to see a few families who brought young children and infants to the resort, but they ended up not really being an issue or noticeable for that matter.
The ONLY qualm we can possibly think of when it came to the entire experience, was our initial transport from the airport to Parrot Cay. When we arrived we had to sit and wait in the Parrot Cay van for about 40 minutes for the remaining couples to assemble and load up. This was a little annoying as my husband and I had spent the entire day traveling and were anxious to get to the property and begin our vacation. We don't know, however, how Parrot Cay would be able to change this as we understand that it was necessary to avoid making multiple trips to the boat dock from the airport.
Upon arriving at the boat dock, we were greeted by friendly staff, a cold drink, and appetizers. They took care of our luggage and whisked us off on a chartered boat to Parrot Cay island. The property is simply stunning. The best way to put it is elegantly quaint and appropriately simple. Those who reviewed the rooms as "boring" or "lacking in sophistacation" are clearly not in line with what Parrot Cay is all about. The rooms were just lovely. We had a very cozy garden view room on the corner of the resort, with exceptional views of the ocean. All of the rooms have flat screen TVs and dvd players, internet access, and air conditioning. With absolutely no noise and very attentive staff, at times we felt as if we were the only ones on the island.
The amount of activities available was just perfect. There was plenty to do without even being closed to boredom, but not so much that one could not enjoy his or herself on any given day without any planned activities. The food was nothing short of spectacular. My husband and I took advantage of the meal plan (we would highly recommend this as meals could get expensive) and frequented the afternoon tea in the library for a quick snack. Although there are only two restaurants on the island, the food was too good to get bored with and menus were often switched up with specials and daily changes.
The staff members were wonderful. We never once had any issues with any staff unwillingness to help. If anything, staff members came up to us and went out of their way to ensure we were comfortable and that we had everything we needed.
One day, my husband and I decided we wanted to try windsurfing. One staff member came down into the water and for at least an hour gave us a personal and private (complementary) instruction. This was truly above and beyond the 5 star service we had signed up for.
As others can attest, the spa was divine. The views were exceptional and service was superb.
We are already saving up for our next trip to Parrot Cay. We would HIGHLY recommend this resort to anyone looking for a refreshing and private getaway. Although expensive, it is absolutely worth it. We can't wait to come back to Parrot Cay!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jlw8605
ThibautCOMO, Director of Sales at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2017

Good morning,

Thank you for your review and stay at COMO Parrot Cay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon
Best regards
Management

Reviewed 27 June 2011

This was the second week in TCI. We spent the 1st week at Grace Bay Club. Both very different properties with a different feel.

To summarise before I begin:

Grace Bay was more reggae music. Just because one happens to be in the Caribbean does not mean guests want to listen to out-dated vibes all day (especially when they don’t change the CD)

Parrot Cay was; no music around the pool. At breakfast it was background classical. Perfect. Speaking of breakfasts, they were out of this world. Best ever. Nice terrace…splendid.

The beach is a sight to behold. The pool is lovely. The service is good but not brilliant – I have had a lot better. Lunch and supper was very good, but not amazing, amazing. Considering where it is though (the Caribbean) and given it is (on a private island) where EVERYTHING needs to be imported, it was a very, very good effort and about as good as it gets.

The grounds were lovely, but not overly manicured. The rooms were nice and spacious. We stayed in an Ocean Room. Don’t expect marble baths and gold taps a la 4 Seasons. It isn’t like that.

The Island is Private and left natural. If it’s a nice, quiet relaxing holiday with miles better than average Caribbean food, you wont be at all disappointed. We loved it.

We didn’t use the gym, knit yogurt or indulge in their de-stress sitting around with crossed legs humming bathing in squirrels tears. The walk to the pool was enough. That said, my partner played tennis and the instructor seemed a good sort.

I went bone fishing. Avoid Silver Deep; unless you fancy paying $1,000 per day. There is another company called Catch the Wave and there was some local rumour that the owner has been trying to put the competition out of business by putting sugar in other boats petrol tanks. No proof but strong suspicion. Avoid like the plague.

I used Hue. He has been a guide all his life. Until 4 years ago he was a guide in Andros. Hue is very experienced, well mannered, charming and great company and crucially has the only Maverick Skiff on Provo. So if you want to reach the skinny water (which is a must) he has the only bit of kit to get you on the feeding bones in low tide. I have bone fished extensively and used many guides over the years and he is one of the best; a real pro. The bones in TCI are big (average 5lb) I caught them up to 9 lb. Plus a cracking snook of 15lb.

Hue’s website is www.dareeldealfishing.com

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sifie
ParrotCay164, Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2011

Thank you for your wonderful review and appreciation on service level, simplicity, nature and good food. We have taken note on your comments and look forward to welcoming you back to Parrot Cay. We will continue to improve our service and product to better serves you on your return visit.

Reviewed 27 June 2011

Just returned and all I can say is, can I please go back?! I went with my best friend - we are late thirties - she is married but getting divorced, and I was seeking a total escape from crazy life working in TV, and my shrapnel-laden love relationship. Where to begin. The service is so friendly .. everyone from the pool to the beach to the front desk, is so eager to please and deliver you whatever delights you. It feels a bit like being in Bali. Keep in mind, this is the only resort on the island, so it is very quiet, nothing to do off resort unless you take a boat back to the main island which is 30 min away ... hardly anyone does that. This is paradise, why would you leave. But if you tend to be antsy and need a lot of stimulation, music at night with 4 restaurants to choose from and crowded, posh bars full of sunning richies and a singles scene, head elsewhere. There are two restaurants, one is not open full time. there are two bars, but the one you will spend most time at, is right by the pool. There are probably only 100 people at the resort at any one time so it is quiet. A lot of foreigners - Brits, South Americans, Frenchies - and then Americans (mostly from NYC, CT., LA) and also the sweetest number of couples on a babymoon, taking one last romantic trip before they have a baby. Only other singles were a couple of wealthy, guy, thirty-somethingers from NYC who at the last minute, passed up the Hamptons that weekend, to fly in for one day. No surprise, they couldnt put their blackberrys down by the pool, all day. Ha. Come looking for nothing than to let your mind escape. Most nights you are back in your room by 11p. The waters are an indescribable shade of aquamarine. And you cannot go without attending the spa. Highly recommend Thai massage with Nina, and acupuncture/shiatsu with Yuki. And get there early and relax in the positively serene jacuzzi underneath the trees off the womens locker room. I think I met God there. Ugh. And afterwards, order the COMOShambala spiced ginger tea. I tried to buy it but of course, it is some secret recipe. Style of resort is of an old plantation so don't come looking for super swish modern, corporate resort sprawling luxury like a Marriot or Lowes. There is one pool, one stretch of private beach that feels like you and twenty friends have been invited to someone's amazing beach house...and the food is mostly terrific, and yes, I'm a picky foodie. Breakfast is included each day and it is amazing. Movies/CD's are available at the front desk if all the serenity has you bored. A small selection of locals who own villas, and also those of the wealthy set, who rent a villa on property, stumble into the pool bar and restaurant each night so it feels very local and private. Donna Karan and Keith Richards own Villas down from this resort and if your quite nice to Sica at the front desk, he can arrange a private tour of some of them, if they are not in residence. Yoga and pilates are the thing here .. although in our four days there, we didnt indulge in that as much. The property manager is Grant Noble - he looks like Gordon Ramsay and has an intoxicating South African accent. Putra by the pool, Sica from the front desk, and the boys down at the beach who rescue you if your free water sports (kayaks, wind surfing) go awry, are so lovely and memorable. Always smiling. Few negative callouts - beach chairs need cushions for maximum lush on my fanny ... breaky service is at times slow but who cares, what are you rushing for ... the sun waits for you. Though you can upgrade to an ocean view room, we found the entry level garden view rooms awesome. Perfectly appointed, mosquito netting around the bed, plantation porch with a perfect little view of ocean, ipod docking systems in room along with flat screen tvs and dvd players. Only mistake is if you come here looking for stimulation or tons of people and a big party...and if you forgo the spa trying to save money. That is a huge part of the experience. I really went needing to escape a sad heart and get in touch with my soul. Well my heart is still sad but the quiet paradise and the spa, soothed my being. It is just pure paradise. Leaving left my heart sad, but I know I will be back. Ugh and I am just reminded of the darling little afternoon tea service in the very svelte little library. Because its a British island, they have a mini afternoon tea service complete with sweets and nibbles. This place is perfect for romantic getaways, couples, and families with maybe one child. Otherwise, teenagers will be bored as there is little to do other than relax and order coconut drinks, and families with many children in tow, especially overstimulated toddlers etc, probably best look into the beaches sandals resort on the main island, instead. This really is not a resort for kids. Thank you parrot cay ... ugh and I found the hugest conch shell on the beach behind my chair, like something you would buy in a souvey shop. PS - if you live in london, keep eyes peeled for article/review coming out soon. We met gal on vacay there who was reviewing the place for the Daily Mail. She got to stay in a private villa with her own private butler... lucky Brit!

Room Tip: Room number 508!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Talski37

Thank you for your wonderful glowing review. We have noted your feedback to improve certain areas and we look forward to welcoming you back to Parrot Cay.

Reviewed 20 June 2011

Myself and a friend traveled to the beautiful island of Turks and Caicos in March of this year. I have been to the Caribbean before however this was the first time in Turks and Caicos. Both myself and my friend are extensive world travelers.
The resort is beautiful, the grounds are well kept and and there's is a strong feeling of privacy. The beach is definitely impressive with fine white sand and the water with it's almost surreal turquoise hue. This place is very quite and after 9pm there's not much you can do. If you're looking for a place of deep relaxation this is it. If you're looking for a party place this is not a good option for you. The spa is beautiful and it's services are great. We also took yoga and pilates classes and loved the instructors.We had a garden view room (which needs a bit of renovation and doesn't quite justify the price) with a nice patio and two single beds. The two restaurants on the property have amazing food and the service at the restaurant and on the beach or the pool is one of the best I have received.

The whole unpleasantness started in the room. When we arrived we didn't have a dial tone. We talked to the front desk and replaced our phone because it was broken. We also had a problem with the key: it would take about a minute to wiggle the key and open the door. We called the front desk several times and eventually they replaced the key. And then we had another incident. We were watching TV one evening and all of a sudden I notice something moving on the top of the cabinet underneath the TV. It was a big cockroach. My friend sprayed it with whatever we had handy and threw it in the toilet. We proceeded to search the entire room to see if there were any others. Needless to say I couldn't sleep at all that night.
The next day we went to the front desk and told them what happened. The ladies servicing the desk at the time were Elizabeth and Keisha, with one of them being front desk manager. The reaction we got was very disappointing, no "we are sorry for the inconvenience" or "what can we do to make your stay more pleasant" which are the basics. It was more of a "devil may care" attitude. We were asked if we are allergic ( to what, in case we swallow it ?) but weren't explained anything. The next day we talked to a different manager and he told us that they ask the allergy question because they would have to spray the room we sleep in.
For a five star resort the front desk service, attitude and manners was way below expectations. I have traveled all over and have worked in the travel industry for many years. I had different expectations from a resort like this and they were not met.
I don't think I would recommend this place to someone else without telling them what they might have to deal with when they get there.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank SimonaV10

Thank you for your feedback and we have taken note your points and address it with Management staff concerns. We sincerely appreciate your comments as it helps to better our level of service. We look forward to welcoming you back.

-Manager-

Reviewed 19 June 2011

We had been in parrot cay five times before. We travelled the last few years to other places in the world to comparable resorts(small hotels). Coming back here was as if coming home again. The resort on this private island is great. But what makes this unique are the staff. A good mix of local staff with many from Bali and the far east.
For those who have been to Bali will understand what I mean.
The restaurants are great.
The spa is still the best in the world, also because of the staff but the spa buildings are fantastic.
We will certainly go back.
One remark, before booking we will ask about maintenance work in public area.

• Stayed: June 2011

Thank you for your positive review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Parrot Cay.

Manager

Reviewed 14 June 2011

Don't believe any bad reviews. My only thought as to why someone would write a bad review is because they had buyers remorse...the place is very pricey, but sooooo worth it.
This resort had the most fantastic beach and grounds, very lush and calm.
Food was excellent....... I actually would do the food package it saves you about $200 a day and is worth the money.
Staff were fantastic, it felt like you were in Bali. The majority of the staff are from Indonesia and are so customer service oriented.
Rooms, very clean and comfortable. WIFI worked great.
Spa was amazing and the Yoga instructor was excellent.
Definite go to place for romance and small toddlers can get on well here too with the beach being very calm.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room here.
Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank danielle t

Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Parrot Cay.

Reviewed 24 May 2011

HOTEL REVIEW # 182 Parrot Caye

MY TRAVEL STYLE: If possible, I try to stay away from business hotels and strongly prefer resorts that resemble the Four Seasons, Aman, and Oberoi but try to find similar properties at lower cost. I seek out the “wow” experiences.

LOCATION: Excellent. On a private island with an excellent beach.

BEST WAY TO GET THERE: Free shuttle from the airport is a 15 minute drive to the doc and a 30 minute boat ride to the hotel.

TYPE OF ROOM:

Garden View. Some garden view rooms are lower levels but still have ocean views.

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: Mattresses were old but were compensated with down bedding. I liked the sheets but my wife thought they felt like thin paper. Pillows were down.

LIGHTING: Good lighting in room and bathroom.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: Not good. Had a feel of an inexpensive hotel. Shower had no door and bathroom had no fan. Everything felt cheap and old.

TOILETRIES: Excellent, products of the hotel’s spa.

CLEANLINESS: Rooms were clean but the resort definitely was lacking cleanliness throughout. No attention to details.

A/C: Worked well.

CLOSET SPACE: Decent amount of space but no closet doors, just hanging curtains… cheap!

STYLE OF ROOM: Comfortable but nothing special.

COMMON AREA: The areas that would have ocean views are blocked by bushes, trees, and sand dunes. I was shocked that there were so many ocean view opportunities at the pool and at the restaurant that were intentionally blocked. The pool was excellent as well as the beach. The resort grounds are mediocre. Again, not attention to detail anywhere. Felt more like a $175/night hotel when in the common areas.

QUIET: Our room was quiet.

FOOD: Mixed. Some nights the food was outstanding and other nights were average. Overall it was enjoyable but very expensive. One night the least expensive entrée was $45. Appetizers were in the $20s and desserts were all $18 (they do have brownie with ice cream if you ask for it for $12. Delicious! Drinks by the beach/pool were $18 and were not made with fresh fruit and were average. Cooked items at breakfast was very good but the small buffet was not impressive in terms of selection/quality as well as the way it was displayed.

TV/INTERNET: Didn’t use the TV in the room but the size was definitely too small for how far away the couch was. Wireless internet in the room worked well but there was no internet at the beach or pool.

SERVICE: Terrible. Staff were indifferent and didn’t seem to want to cater to guests. We always had to get our own towels by the pool. Service at restaurants were borderline nonexistent… my water was almost never filled without asking, and they never asked how are food tasted. Probably the worst service I have ever experienced at a restaurant with prices at this level. I can go on and on about the lack of service and at $750 per night for the least expensive room, this is not acceptable.

SUMMARY/TIPS: If staying in a garden view room, definitely try to get a room that has a partial ocean view. Some of the garden view rooms are on the lower level but are at the same height as the ocean view rooms due to a hill. We stayed at the Gansevoort after this stay and although we think this hotel is very over priced, we liked the exclusivity and the lack of crowds at the beach/pool compared to the Gansevoort. If you are going to stay in Turks, this is probably still your best bet for peace and tranquility (unless you have $1200 per night to burn at the Aman).

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
15  Thank TravelSnob1

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your constructive feedbacks and will definitely review and work on it. We do hope you will change your mind to return and stay with us when your travel brings you back to Turks & Caicos.

-Manager-

The Tuscany
The Tuscany
#1 of 44 in Providenciales
Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa

Been to COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos? Share your experiences!