“Relaxation in Paradise!"”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Relaxation in Paradise!"”
Reviewed 7 July 2011

This was a beautiful resort on a private island. From the moment you land in Provo, you know that Parrot Cay is something special. You are shuttled via air conditioned van to the private dock. There, you are met with beverages and a glimpse of the amazing hospitality that is to come. After the boat shuttle, you "check in" on a couch in the beautiful Balinese-style lobby with a glass of champagne. The activities are yoga, pilates, tennis, kayaking, sailing, and working out. There are two restuarants with WORLD-CLASS food! The service is relaxed but fantastic. The rooms are beautifully appointed, with fresh fruit and water daily, as well as a bottle of champagne on arrival. They are not opulent, but more beach/cottage style. The spa has an amazing view, and the services (massage/facial) are the best I've ever had. The beaches are unspoiled and gorgeous. This is the only resort on the island, other than private (movie and rock star) homes.
This is a perfect place for adults to relax, be romantic, recharge, and be pampered, with privacy. It is NOT (in my opinion) a place for older children or teens, as they will be bored. It it also not a place for those seeking Carribean thrills like jet-skiing and parasailing. (One father of teens was dumbfounded and dismayed to find that these activities did not exist at the resort. He may have been in for a long week.) Diving and snorkling can be arranged through Big Blue Unlimited or other companies, but you have to pay a big premium to have them pick you up on Parrot Cay. We did not leave the island for 5 days, but a day trip to Provo can break up the quiet time. For us, it was just what we needed!

Room Tip: We booked through Jet Blue Vacations.
2 Thank SonnyDay_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 July 2011

The hubby and I took advantage of Parrot Cay's "Stay 7 nights pay for 5 package" to celebrate our anniversary. We needed total R&R and got exactly that.
The rooms are clean, safe and quiet.
The views are amazing.
The food is healthy and delicious. Breakfast was the best meal of the day and it's included in room price.
The staff was kind and courteous. Special mention to Noi and Shirley! The entire staff were all professional and easy going.
Best part of trip: The beach and the water.
We will be back when city life makes us crazy again.
Cheers!
Sharon & Brian

1 Thank frecklebelly
Albany, New York
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Went to Parrot Cay with a girlfriend. Unsure of what to expect, as the website does not do this place justice. The resort is paradise, pristine beaches, great food, yoga on the beach, etc.. Customer service is unlike anything I've experienced -- no request is denied. For example, I needed a daily shot administered and they arranged for Siti, the nurse, to come to my room every night (five days in a row!). She was professional and even offered advice on spa treatments, entertainment, etc. Trip of a lifetime for friends, couples, or families.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank ddlovesthebeach
ParrotCay164, Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Thank you so much for taking your time to write on trip advisor. We value your comments. Look forward to welcoming you back to Parrot Cay.

Hotel Manager
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 July 2011

My husband and I recently traveled to Parrot Cay for our honeymoon. We arrived fresh from our wedding, and were looking for someplace quiet and private after our busy week. Upon check in at Parrot Cay, we immediately knew it would be difficult to leave. We are typically very critical and particular, so given that we really have nothing bad to say about Parrot Cay really is telling as to how wonderful it is. We were alarmed at first to see a few families who brought young children and infants to the resort, but they ended up not really being an issue or noticeable for that matter.
The ONLY qualm we can possibly think of when it came to the entire experience, was our initial transport from the airport to Parrot Cay. When we arrived we had to sit and wait in the Parrot Cay van for about 40 minutes for the remaining couples to assemble and load up. This was a little annoying as my husband and I had spent the entire day traveling and were anxious to get to the property and begin our vacation. We don't know, however, how Parrot Cay would be able to change this as we understand that it was necessary to avoid making multiple trips to the boat dock from the airport.
Upon arriving at the boat dock, we were greeted by friendly staff, a cold drink, and appetizers. They took care of our luggage and whisked us off on a chartered boat to Parrot Cay island. The property is simply stunning. The best way to put it is elegantly quaint and appropriately simple. Those who reviewed the rooms as "boring" or "lacking in sophistacation" are clearly not in line with what Parrot Cay is all about. The rooms were just lovely. We had a very cozy garden view room on the corner of the resort, with exceptional views of the ocean. All of the rooms have flat screen TVs and dvd players, internet access, and air conditioning. With absolutely no noise and very attentive staff, at times we felt as if we were the only ones on the island.
The amount of activities available was just perfect. There was plenty to do without even being closed to boredom, but not so much that one could not enjoy his or herself on any given day without any planned activities. The food was nothing short of spectacular. My husband and I took advantage of the meal plan (we would highly recommend this as meals could get expensive) and frequented the afternoon tea in the library for a quick snack. Although there are only two restaurants on the island, the food was too good to get bored with and menus were often switched up with specials and daily changes.
The staff members were wonderful. We never once had any issues with any staff unwillingness to help. If anything, staff members came up to us and went out of their way to ensure we were comfortable and that we had everything we needed.
One day, my husband and I decided we wanted to try windsurfing. One staff member came down into the water and for at least an hour gave us a personal and private (complementary) instruction. This was truly above and beyond the 5 star service we had signed up for.
As others can attest, the spa was divine. The views were exceptional and service was superb.
We are already saving up for our next trip to Parrot Cay. We would HIGHLY recommend this resort to anyone looking for a refreshing and private getaway. Although expensive, it is absolutely worth it. We can't wait to come back to Parrot Cay!

1 Thank jlw8605
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2011

This was the second week in TCI. We spent the 1st week at Grace Bay Club. Both very different properties with a different feel.

To summarise before I begin:

Grace Bay was more reggae music. Just because one happens to be in the Caribbean does not mean guests want to listen to out-dated vibes all day (especially when they don’t change the CD)

Parrot Cay was; no music around the pool. At breakfast it was background classical. Perfect. Speaking of breakfasts, they were out of this world. Best ever. Nice terrace…splendid.

The beach is a sight to behold. The pool is lovely. The service is good but not brilliant – I have had a lot better. Lunch and supper was very good, but not amazing, amazing. Considering where it is though (the Caribbean) and given it is (on a private island) where EVERYTHING needs to be imported, it was a very, very good effort and about as good as it gets.

The grounds were lovely, but not overly manicured. The rooms were nice and spacious. We stayed in an Ocean Room. Don’t expect marble baths and gold taps a la 4 Seasons. It isn’t like that.

The Island is Private and left natural. If it’s a nice, quiet relaxing holiday with miles better than average Caribbean food, you wont be at all disappointed. We loved it.

We didn’t use the gym, knit yogurt or indulge in their de-stress sitting around with crossed legs humming bathing in squirrels tears. The walk to the pool was enough. That said, my partner played tennis and the instructor seemed a good sort.

I went bone fishing. Avoid Silver Deep; unless you fancy paying $1,000 per day. There is another company called Catch the Wave and there was some local rumour that the owner has been trying to put the competition out of business by putting sugar in other boats petrol tanks. No proof but strong suspicion. Avoid like the plague.

I used Hue. He has been a guide all his life. Until 4 years ago he was a guide in Andros. Hue is very experienced, well mannered, charming and great company and crucially has the only Maverick Skiff on Provo. So if you want to reach the skinny water (which is a must) he has the only bit of kit to get you on the feeding bones in low tide. I have bone fished extensively and used many guides over the years and he is one of the best; a real pro. The bones in TCI are big (average 5lb) I caught them up to 9 lb. Plus a cracking snook of 15lb.

Hue’s website is www.dareeldealfishing.com

2 Thank Sifie
ParrotCay164, Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
Thank you for your wonderful review and appreciation on service level, simplicity, nature and good food. We have taken note on your comments and look forward to welcoming you back to Parrot Cay. We will continue to improve our service and product to better serves you on your return visit.
- Manager -
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Just returned and all I can say is, can I please go back?! I went with my best friend - we are late thirties - she is married but getting divorced, and I was seeking a total escape from crazy life working in TV, and my shrapnel-laden love relationship. Where to begin. The service is so friendly .. everyone from the pool to the beach to the front desk, is so eager to please and deliver you whatever delights you. It feels a bit like being in Bali. Keep in mind, this is the only resort on the island, so it is very quiet, nothing to do off resort unless you take a boat back to the main island which is 30 min away ... hardly anyone does that. This is paradise, why would you leave. But if you tend to be antsy and need a lot of stimulation, music at night with 4 restaurants to choose from and crowded, posh bars full of sunning richies and a singles scene, head elsewhere. There are two restaurants, one is not open full time. there are two bars, but the one you will spend most time at, is right by the pool. There are probably only 100 people at the resort at any one time so it is quiet. A lot of foreigners - Brits, South Americans, Frenchies - and then Americans (mostly from NYC, CT., LA) and also the sweetest number of couples on a babymoon, taking one last romantic trip before they have a baby. Only other singles were a couple of wealthy, guy, thirty-somethingers from NYC who at the last minute, passed up the Hamptons that weekend, to fly in for one day. No surprise, they couldnt put their blackberrys down by the pool, all day. Ha. Come looking for nothing than to let your mind escape. Most nights you are back in your room by 11p. The waters are an indescribable shade of aquamarine. And you cannot go without attending the spa. Highly recommend Thai massage with Nina, and acupuncture/shiatsu with Yuki. And get there early and relax in the positively serene jacuzzi underneath the trees off the womens locker room. I think I met God there. Ugh. And afterwards, order the COMOShambala spiced ginger tea. I tried to buy it but of course, it is some secret recipe. Style of resort is of an old plantation so don't come looking for super swish modern, corporate resort sprawling luxury like a Marriot or Lowes. There is one pool, one stretch of private beach that feels like you and twenty friends have been invited to someone's amazing beach house...and the food is mostly terrific, and yes, I'm a picky foodie. Breakfast is included each day and it is amazing. Movies/CD's are available at the front desk if all the serenity has you bored. A small selection of locals who own villas, and also those of the wealthy set, who rent a villa on property, stumble into the pool bar and restaurant each night so it feels very local and private. Donna Karan and Keith Richards own Villas down from this resort and if your quite nice to Sica at the front desk, he can arrange a private tour of some of them, if they are not in residence. Yoga and pilates are the thing here .. although in our four days there, we didnt indulge in that as much. The property manager is Grant Noble - he looks like Gordon Ramsay and has an intoxicating South African accent. Putra by the pool, Sica from the front desk, and the boys down at the beach who rescue you if your free water sports (kayaks, wind surfing) go awry, are so lovely and memorable. Always smiling. Few negative callouts - beach chairs need cushions for maximum lush on my fanny ... breaky service is at times slow but who cares, what are you rushing for ... the sun waits for you. Though you can upgrade to an ocean view room, we found the entry level garden view rooms awesome. Perfectly appointed, mosquito netting around the bed, plantation porch with a perfect little view of ocean, ipod docking systems in room along with flat screen tvs and dvd players. Only mistake is if you come here looking for stimulation or tons of people and a big party...and if you forgo the spa trying to save money. That is a huge part of the experience. I really went needing to escape a sad heart and get in touch with my soul. Well my heart is still sad but the quiet paradise and the spa, soothed my being. It is just pure paradise. Leaving left my heart sad, but I know I will be back. Ugh and I am just reminded of the darling little afternoon tea service in the very svelte little library. Because its a British island, they have a mini afternoon tea service complete with sweets and nibbles. This place is perfect for romantic getaways, couples, and families with maybe one child. Otherwise, teenagers will be bored as there is little to do other than relax and order coconut drinks, and families with many children in tow, especially overstimulated toddlers etc, probably best look into the beaches sandals resort on the main island, instead. This really is not a resort for kids. Thank you parrot cay ... ugh and I found the hugest conch shell on the beach behind my chair, like something you would buy in a souvey shop. PS - if you live in london, keep eyes peeled for article/review coming out soon. We met gal on vacay there who was reviewing the place for the Daily Mail. She got to stay in a private villa with her own private butler... lucky Brit!

Room Tip: Room number 508!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Talski37
Thank you for your wonderful glowing review. We have noted your feedback to improve certain areas and we look forward to welcoming you back to Parrot Cay.

- Manager -
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Myself and a friend traveled to the beautiful island of Turks and Caicos in March of this year. I have been to the Caribbean before however this was the first time in Turks and Caicos. Both myself and my friend are extensive world travelers.
The resort is beautiful, the grounds are well kept and and there's is a strong feeling of privacy. The beach is definitely impressive with fine white sand and the water with it's almost surreal turquoise hue. This place is very quite and after 9pm there's not much you can do. If you're looking for a place of deep relaxation this is it. If you're looking for a party place this is not a good option for you. The spa is beautiful and it's services are great. We also took yoga and pilates classes and loved the instructors.We had a garden view room (which needs a bit of renovation and doesn't quite justify the price) with a nice patio and two single beds. The two restaurants on the property have amazing food and the service at the restaurant and on the beach or the pool is one of the best I have received.

The whole unpleasantness started in the room. When we arrived we didn't have a dial tone. We talked to the front desk and replaced our phone because it was broken. We also had a problem with the key: it would take about a minute to wiggle the key and open the door. We called the front desk several times and eventually they replaced the key. And then we had another incident. We were watching TV one evening and all of a sudden I notice something moving on the top of the cabinet underneath the TV. It was a big cockroach. My friend sprayed it with whatever we had handy and threw it in the toilet. We proceeded to search the entire room to see if there were any others. Needless to say I couldn't sleep at all that night.
The next day we went to the front desk and told them what happened. The ladies servicing the desk at the time were Elizabeth and Keisha, with one of them being front desk manager. The reaction we got was very disappointing, no "we are sorry for the inconvenience" or "what can we do to make your stay more pleasant" which are the basics. It was more of a "devil may care" attitude. We were asked if we are allergic ( to what, in case we swallow it ?) but weren't explained anything. The next day we talked to a different manager and he told us that they ask the allergy question because they would have to spray the room we sleep in.
For a five star resort the front desk service, attitude and manners was way below expectations. I have traveled all over and have worked in the travel industry for many years. I had different expectations from a resort like this and they were not met.
I don't think I would recommend this place to someone else without telling them what they might have to deal with when they get there.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank SimonaV10
Thank you for your feedback and we have taken note your points and address it with Management staff concerns. We sincerely appreciate your comments as it helps to better our level of service. We look forward to welcoming you back.

-Manager-
Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
The Regent Grand
The Regent Grand
#6 of 44 in Providenciales

Been to COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos? Share your experiences!