“Nice facilities but spotty service and loud children”

COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Parrot Cay
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Nice facilities but spotty service and loud children”
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We spent 5 nights at the resort in late August. The resort itself is beautiful, nobody can dispute that. However, the service could be improved in my opinion. Simply put, it was not consistent. Depending on your server, you were either treated to 5 star service or simply ignored. It was surprising, but since we were on vacation and not in a rush, it wasn't the end of the world.

That being said, I would have second thoughts about returning to the property because of the large amount of families. Perhaps we had poor timing/bad luck, but there were multiple large families staying there at the same time. Parents often dined together in Lotus for lunch and let their kids swim in the pool unaccompanied. As one can well imagine, this quickly turned into as many as 11 kids screaming and splashing. The pool attendant did try to quiet them, but it didn't work. The resort portrays itself as a secluded, intimate retreat, but that was far from true during our stay. If you want a place to rest and rewind, you may want to reconsider. There is a small pool near the spa that is always quiet and empty, but there is no drink/food service, so it is very inconvenient.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank NYTrvls83
ParrotCay164, Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this review, 9 October 2011
Thank you for your constructive feedback. Parrot Cay is about spending your quality time with loved ones. We are reviewing our policy where it will allow both couples & family to enjoy our facilities without being inconvenience.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Connecticut
Reviewed 26 September 2011

My husband and I booked Parrot Cay based on the positive Trip Advisor reviews. We visited in July to break up the summer and we absolutely loved it. There isn't anything else that I can possibly add that hasn't already been said. The food is consistently outstanding. We've stayed at The Four Season's in Hawaii and I thought it couldn't get any better than that in regards to superb service. I have to say that Parrot Cay gets the top award for excellence in service and attention to detail. We felt like celebrities as we were whisked away from the dock via boat to our own little private island. We loved it so much that we cancelled our annual trip to Grand Cayman that we booked in March 2011 and have already rebooked to return to Parrot Cay in February 2011. We cannot wait!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 September 2011

This was my husband and my second stay at Parrot Cay and we are wanting to get back again soon. There is a wonderfully relaxed pace at the resort, with plenty to do or simply sitting back under an umbrella on the beach all day. Even with scheduling in yoga and spa treatments we never had a rushed moment. The spa is one of the best I have been to and not to be missed. Yoga with Andrea is a great start to the day or wrap up at sunset. Service all around, can not be beat.
Don't have any hesitations in booking here, unless you are looking for wild nightlife. Cheers

Room Tip: We have always enjoyed the Ocean facing rooms, which tend to be on the second level. I like to be to...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ACAkka
Thank you for staying with us and for taking your precious time to leave a glowing review on trip advisor. We value your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Parrot Cay.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 September 2011

My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon at Parrot Cay and let me say that this place is magical. The staff, the grounds, the room, the pool and the amazing beach make for a tremendous experience. We happened to arrive the Monday before the hurricane hit and stayed for a few days after. The entire time we were there, management kept us informed on any safety concerns and travel issues that we might face in the coming days. For such a scary time, the staff did a great job making us feel safe.

The staff on hand were fabulous and our suite was large and spacious allowing us to use the different sitting areas while we were camped out in our room.

Yes, this place is expensive and if you know you will have an issue spending money while you are away then this isn't the place for you, but if you can put that aside and allow yourself to enjoy your vacation, this place is a winner!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 366mattk
ParrotCay164, Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this review, 4 September 2011
Thank you for taking your time to review about your stay at Parrot Cay. Hurricane Irene was indeed a challenge but we are pleased that you have had a wonderful stay with us at Parrot Cay. We look forward to welcoming you back to Parrot Cay.

West New York, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We started our honeymoon at Parrot Cay. We were greeted at the port with smiles and a chilled drink before our 30 minute ride to the island. The island is a perfect getaway for couples. I would not recommend this for anyone who is looking for a "scene." It is a privately secluded resort with a focus on health, restoration and relaxation. The menu's are very creative and change twice weekly, offering many healthy alternatives.

The first 2 days of our 4 day stay were rainy and stormy (very uncommon for the island). We still had a great time but to top off, we were given a coupon to return for 2 nights, free of charge, anytime in the next year.

Room Tip: Call Hotel Directly
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
We look forward to welcoming you back in the sunshine!

Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Fantastic property with wonderful service and a beautiful beach! I splurged and stayed in a Beach House and I don't think I could ever stay in a hotel room there... it was very special, the room was so clean and spacious and light and airy.

Finally a property in the Carribean that has real 5-star service. What is their secret? They import most of their service staff from Asia and it really makes a difference in comparison with other 5-star properties in the Caribbean. Gracious and genuine service is not easy to come by in the Caribbean but you will find the staff here to be professional, wearing genuine smiles, and dedicated to excellence. I loved the casual elegance... you could dress down or dress up depending on your mood.

Food & Beverage was extrememly flexible and catered to my personal Vegan needs. Loved it that I could order from one of three menus at any of the restaurants including the room service menu. The Food & Beverage Mgr. personally made sure the kitchens adopted menu items to my dietary preferences. The F & B staff made me feel like family. I was travelling alone to just completely shut down my motors but I never felt alone... there was always a warm smile that was greeting me with my name which many remembered.

My spa experience was world class! The staff so gracious and professional. A few negatives: The treatment rooms all have floor to cieling windows which can be quite blinding in broad daylight... I prefer a dark room during a massage or wrap. There is no way to make the room dark. And this is the first World Class spa I have been to (and I frequent about 10-15 international spas per year on 5 continents) that has so many restrictions on treatments. Most 5-star resort spa managers are eager to accomodate and customize your treatments. Here for example they have rules like no massage can last more than 90 mins (???) and its impossible to have a second therapist work on you during a treatment (I usually like to combine foot reflexology with a head and neck massage) which in normal cases they are eager to do for the extra income.

Also since my last time at Parrot Cay (2006) they have doubled the occupancy by building villas. The beach was often busy and sometimes chairs were not available near my beach house... something unheard of in 2006 when I felt I had the whole beach to myself.

Room service exceeded my expectations! The team was fantastic... so accomodating, friendly, and ready for special requests.

Thank you Parrot Cay Team!! I look forward to coming back in 2012!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank BambinaRosa
Pleased to hear that you have had a pleasant and blissful stay at Parrot Cay. We look forward to welcoming you back to Paradise.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Before we book any holiday we check on trip advisor and make sure that we have realistic expectations of places. A few reviews said that the resort was looking tired and needed some up keep. There really is no pleasing some people !

From the moment they picked us up from the airport, the boat trip to the island ( which is a great way to get somewhere and makes the transfer much more interesting ) to the moment we left, the staff were great.

We had a garden view room which was lovely – the outside space is a good size with coffee and tea making facilities – you can easily have breakfast or afternoon drinks / tea here.
The room was nicely decorated and very clean. As was the bathroom. So many places have so so showers but here they were fine. There was plenty of wardrobe space and more than enough towels.

The spa really is second to none. I had a full body scrub and detox mask. The room overlooks the sea and is amazing and the therapist really knew what he was doing. He had worked all around the world in some top spas and even he said that the spa at Parrot Cay was something special. No expense spared at all. Its not one of the best spas in the world for nothing.

The beach is amazing. I am not a huge fan of sand everywhere but it was worth it here. The crescent shaped beach with almost white sand was so soft and the sea was just different degrees of blue. You can easily wade out to the safety buoys at low tide and at high tide the swim was actually quite nice. We walked as far round as we could either side of the hotel most days and then waded back through the sea.

They have 2 restaurants – one by the beach ( lunch and dinner ) and one in the hotel ( breakfast and dinner ) I had the pancakes most days for breakfast they were that good ! The fresh fruit buffet was also very nice. Lunch by the beach can be a light snack or a full meal – totally depends on you. Dinner in the hotel restaurant was ok – a bit too rich to eat from every night. The Lotus was great. We had something different every night. If you want anything off the menu just ask and they are happy to try and accommodate you. The mango and bananas fritters were better than I had ever had before. I would go back just for them !

They had a gym, lots of yoga classes and plenty of other activities if you wanted. I did a few hours of snorkelling - definitely wroth it !

I had an amazing 7 nights here with my boyfriend and I would really love to go back ( hint hint boyfriend )

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
We are indeed pleased to hear you have had a relaxing holiday at Parrot Cay. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Parrot Cay
Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
The Regent Grand
The Regent Grand
#8 of 45 in Providenciales

Been to COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos? Share your experiences!