“TOO MANY CHILDREN AND NO ESCAPE”

COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Parrot Cay
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“TOO MANY CHILDREN AND NO ESCAPE”
Reviewed 18 January 2013

First the good news
The food - a lot of choice in the Lotus restaurant, a huge selection of healthy drinks, the Como Shambala menu full of healthy food that you actually want to eat and great breakfasts.
The spa - always good and the free yoga and pilates and breathing classes offered are a really nice touch.
The Beach is great and service pretty prompt although I agree with others that the chairs on the beach could def do with some extra cushions to make them more comfortable.

The bad news
Rooms are really really noisy if you are on the ground floor and if you have children in the room above then do not expect to find them in any way peaceful. The sound of children above us constantly padding up and down was very loud so def ask for a room on the upper floor if you don't have any.

In fact children are the main problem here. For a hotel that offers such a great spa and does alot of packages advertising a change to come and chill and be calm it seems to have forgotten that you may want some calm peace once you step out of the spa. If you want to attract the custom of the snowbirds, the elderly retired couples, gay couples and the honeymooners then the management really does have to rethink the fact that children here need to be contained. The pool is far too noisy and for a hotel with a lot of space feels really crammed in. Every day we went to the bar to get drinks before lunch it was like walking into an amusement arcade with children sitting in there on a variety of ipads and computers and games all with maximum noise levels. There is no area that does not have children apart from the spa, as there is no official kids club, the activitites happen right outside the library or on the beach and even in the evenings we had to ask the management to talk to two families who were happy to let their children run around the dining room at 8.30pm while a lot of people were wanting to have a quiet dinner.

In other Parrot Cay resorts we have visited such as Cocoa Island this has never been a problem at all, but it made what was meant to be a relaxing peaceful trip somewhat fraught and I think the management should really take note or alert guests to the fact that they are really just wanting to cater for families.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
20 Thank SJLondon07
Grantnoble, General Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Thank you very much for your review.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the facilities, food, service and spa.

Parrot Cay is a family friendly resort, and at certain times of the year, primarily during the major US holidays we do have a lot of children on the resort, and whilst we do not have a dedicated children's club, we do have a robust children's program in place to keep them entertained.

We certainly do not attempt to hide or keep this a secret, however I will make sure that the team are very open about this fact.

Grant Noble

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
New Jersey
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I must admit that I am picky. Usually stay at Four Seasons and up from there. Decided last minute to try Parrot Cay - good reviews on Trip Advisor. When you arrive in PLS, you take a 15 minute or so car ride to marina. Then 40 minute boat ride over to Parrot Cay. Parrot Cay is not an impressive place. The water is beautiful, but the overall facility is no where near a 5 star property. Our room was lovely, but the bathroom was not what you would expect from a better property. Our first room smelled of mold, so we requested a move. They handled it immediately and soon we were in our new room. It was fine - no smell. It is a large property, spread out, with the block of rooms looking like cabins at a nice camp. The staff is lovely, but not very attentive. Waited so long for a check at dinner last night that we just got up and left. Poolside is the same. If you want anything you have to get up and ask for it. If you move your lounge chair to follow the sun, they don't run over to help you. We did get turn down every night so far, but some others that we met were not happy about the lack of turndown in their room. It just feels like something is lacking. No special amenities at the pool - sorbet, etc. Spa has been great so far. Very nice facility. Actually, much nicer than the hotel. The shower is far superior in the spa, so I showered in the spa every night and not my room Not expected for a 5 star property. The other bothersome thing was kids. I did not expect many of them. Unless you take a villa, this is not an appropriate place for children. Relaxing at the pool with kids splashing about is not my type of vacation. Food has been fairly good considering they have to bring everything in by boat. Beach is nice, but not spectacular. They don't rake it and there were very few personnel to help with chairs, etc. let alone drinks. I have been to private islands before. This was fine, but not 5 star. To travel most of the day, and spend a decent amount of money, it should be better.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mbk25
Grantnoble, General Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time out to write this review.

It is clear to me that we did not meet your ecpectations in some areas, and I do apologize for this.

Your's is the third comment that I have recieved recently about the poor service at the pool and beach, this is clearly not acceptable, and I have put in an action plan to solve these issues.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I travel alot. I am use to certain basics and i appreciate the extras that a hotel has to offer. Parrot Cay is a little pricey, but not unaffordable. I am really a true believer of you get what you pay for. Everything from the beginning to the end was just amazing at Parrot Cay. I got a free upgrade to a Villa. What an amazing villa with a plunge pool, the beach was in my backyard. The service is amazing. The bath product amazing. The spa amazing. The staff where attentive but gave you your space. I expect alot from a hotel and this hotel went above and beyond. I had to ask for nothing.
Please go to Parrot Cay you will have a lovely visit.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank TUT174
Thank you very much for your kind review.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your break with us, and that we exceed your expectations.

I look forward to seeing you back in paradise very soon.

Reviewed 8 January 2013 via mobile

Parrot Cay is the most amazing relaxing resort with excellent service and divine food! The food has gotten even more amazing than when we visited last year! The staff is always friendly and helpful and nothing is beyond their cheerful abilities. The beach houses along the beachfront are amazingly comfortable and definitely worth it! The yoga & Pilates classes were great - especially beach yoga. The new Plantation Fit Run is great for more vigorous exercise, and offers a nice jog through coconut & banana plantations. The guided fit walk through this new trail was very fun and a great way to start the day & get the blood flowing. Loved everything about the stay at Parrot Cay & will definitely return!!

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank NYC57thSt
Thank you very much for your very kind review

We are all very happy that you enjoyed you vacation and have recognized the outstanding food and service.

It is also very pleasing to see that you have noticed our new additions such as our coconut plantation and our new plantation run.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.

NY
Reviewed 29 December 2012

We stayed just before Christmas, which was great because although we were told the hotel was full, it certainly didn't feel so. Wherever we wanted to be alone we were able to be - on the beach, by the pool, in the restaurants - even in the outdoor jacuzzi in the spa - we never felt crowded at any point. Though any of the people we met couldn't have been nicer! The food is of a supremely high quality from breakfast onwards, and the staff excellent - both points being in our experience unusual in the Caribbean!
The beach and the sea are just amazing - all those photos don't lie.
And the bottom line is that we really want to go back again, sooner rather than later.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Hugosdaughter
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your vacation with us, and that our food and service exceed your expectations.

We do hope to see you back sooner rather than later.

Exton, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 28 December 2012

We really enjoyed our stay over Valentine's Day at Parrot Cay. The service was exemplary. The food was awesome. I loved every meal that I ate there. The beach was wonderful and isolated. The weather didn't cooperate very well, as they had an unusual cold spell and some rain early on. Our couples massage was fabulous. The price is a little on the steep side, but you are paying for the solitude and the exclusivity. The ocean facing room was good, but not great. I liked having the mini-bar outside. The 45-minute boat ride back to Provo made sightseeing difficult. If you are looking to explore TCI, this is not the place for you. If you are looking to live it up and relax in luxury, this place is perfect.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DonTucker
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback,

I am very please that you enjoyed the fantastic service, food and facilities

As it is nearly Valentines day again , I do hope that we will get to see you again this year.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 23 December 2012

For Our Turks & Caicos holiday, we were puzzled between staying at Parrot Cay or Amanyara (since they both seemed to have their advantages and disadvantages from the many internet reviews). So, in the end, we decided to stay at both places, and are now able to compare them both. Also, let me introduce you by telling that I am a seasoned traveller and stayed in some of the most luxurious hotels of the world. When travelling, I like to pick my hotels by using websites such as Kiwicollection, Conde Nast, Travel & Leisure. So we only like the best of the best.

Parrot Cay is a simply stunningly beautiful place, and much more upscale as I thought it would be (somehow, the pictures on the internet did not convince me that this would be an awesome place, worth a place on the Conde Nast gold List, but I was wrong). You will be escorted from the airport to the dock by a van (20 min), and then it is another 40 minutes by private boat to the resort. Rooms are either located in one of the buildings close the reception area and a 3 minute walk to the beach (all rooms come with their own large terrace), or in (semidetached) villas that are located behind the beach (and these come with their own small pool).

Things that I did like a lot :
- the common areas of the hotel are very athmospheric, upscale and chic : reception, restaurant, swimming pool area, and gardens all fit very well in the natural environment.
- the main swimming pool is not only magnificent, but also heated to the temperature of a warm bath, so you can take even a dip a night if you want to (in comparison, the main pool at Amanyara is much colder)
- it has been said before, but the 1,5 mile long beach is indeed composed of powdery white sand, hugging an impossible blue sea (reminded me of the Maldives, albeit without palm trees)
- Food : food (breakfast, lunch and dinner) was EXCELLENT and of very high quality (with change of the menu every 3 days), so kudus to the food and beverage department of the staff. This is were Parrot Cay definitely beats its competitor Amanyara (the latter not only charging outrageous prices but also serving miniscule portions that left us with hunger, although we are not very big eaters).
- Rooms : simple but chic :understated elegance. The beds are heavenly soft.
- Spa : the Como Shambala spa is very impressive and chic (one of the nicest we have ever been to) and is a must when you visit the resort. They have very good treatments.
- Price : the do have very expensive villas, but you can also stay at one the more modestly priced rooms, so there is a budget for everyone
- Staff : very helpful and friendly

Things that I did not like so much (with room for improvement) :
- pre-arrival communication with the resort was a big disappointment : my (in total 5) emails were mostly not answered, and when I did receive a delayed reply, it was in a very informal (too informal) way, with lots of grammatical errors. The resort should realize that this is the first impression they make on their customers, so I advice them to work very hard on this (take lessons from brands such as Aman, Four Seasons, Rosewood) as it may put off some possible customers.
- Wifi was available in the rooms, but there was not wifi at the swimming pool nor at the beach. This may not bother some, but we did miss it to surf the internet on our tablets while lounging near the pool or on the beach.
- lounge chairs on the beach where not comfortable, contrary to the lounge chairs near the swimming pool. Some extra cushions on the beach chairs would help a lot.
- from the beach, to the east, you have a very good view on some unfinished construction of a pair of very ugly, quite high (I guess 4-5 floors) buildings, which does not help to make you feel like being on a private, “uninhabited” island.
- beach service was virtually non existing (waiters were there but hardly noticed us).
- we had to wait upon arrival at the airport for about 20 minutes for other guests to join our transfer to Parrot Cay. I understand this is necessary from a logistical point of view, but somehow I do not understand why they not simply transfer all their passengers immediately to the dock upon arrival, where they can wait for other guests to join, as this would be much more appreciated (realizing that this may involve some extra drives). This is where an exceptional resort could distinguish itself from others.

Comparison with Amanyara (see my other review) :
- Amanyara feels more exclusive, has a somehow nicer beach, and has very impressive common areas and accommodations.
- Parrot Cay has much better food, a better spa, and is within reach of more modest budgets (when staying at one of the rooms instead of villas)
If you want to combine them both, as we did, I would advice to stay in Parrot Cay first, so that you keep the “best for last”.

Tips :
- when booking a room at Parrot Cay, book one of the packages inclusive of food and spa treatments as this will turn out to be cheaper in the end.
- book your room through a Virtuoso agent as the latter will entitle you to some additional benefits such as complimentary room upgrade when available.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
42 Thank LuxTravelExpert
Grantnoble, General Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this review, 7 February 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a very detailed review,

I am happy that you enjoyed your time with us, and took time out to recognize some of the wonderful things about Parrot Cay.

I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Parrot Cay
Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
The Regent Grand
The Regent Grand
#6 of 44 in Providenciales

Been to COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos? Share your experiences!