“Paradise for my three young daughters AND me”

COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Parrot Cay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I have travelled to the Caribbean many times but nothing could prepare me for the stunningly goregeous Parrot Cay by Como. The beach and the pool were beautiful, amazing and private. Our room was well prepared and offered the luxury one would expect at a hotel of this caliber. As my youngest is only 19 months, they had a crib, baby bathtub and a bottle warmer in the room ready for us. I did not request any of these item, but they just know how to take care of their guests. We met many families there and with the private ambiance and uncrowded space, it allowed you to get to know other guests very quickly.

As for the food, the breakfast was a buffet plus the abilty to order off the menu. Very nice. Ate at both restaurants which had delicious food, as well as the como shambhala menu (healthy) which was also very tasty and fresh. Participated in an excursion to Iguana Island and Sand Dollar huntng - again very curated and private as it was just my family. Yoga and pilates were presented for all levels, i'm experienced in both, but felt they did a good job of attending to the varying degrees of experience. The Spa was a sanctuary that you must visit. Buapan is a phenomenal masseuse. As for the staff, they remember your name and greet you everyday by name. My only con is that the kids menu was very expensive. My girls want to eat a hot dog for dinner. Not exactly my idea of a vacation dinner.

I am still on a high from the trip and of all the places I have ever been in my life, this is the ONE that i hope to revisit again.

Room Tip: We were in a como suite, which was perfect for me and my three young daughters: 8, 6 and 19 months.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TCL2010
TeddySWiryawan, Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear TCL2010,

Thank you for your kind review.

I’m pleased to hear that you and family enjoyed your stay with us and it’s great to hear that Parrot Cay entered ”the place to re-visit” on your personal’s list.

We look forward for your next visit to the Cay.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We got back last week from our five night Honeymoon in Parrot Cay! I want to provide a list of my pros/cons to give travelers an idea what to expect and what I found this resort to be all about.

First, we booked on AMEX and luckily booked in time for the $500 resort credit during our stay. We got a direct flight from Philadelphia which took only 3.5 hours and met at the airport by Parrot Cay Staff. We then the 25 minute boatride to Parrot Cay. I must say it was a nice touch to have the shuttle service take you to the air conditioned Parrot Cay dock with coronas and snacks… really set the a good first impression. Once we arrived, we were taken by golf carts to front desk and greeted by a manager who took us to our room and welcomed us with a rum punch.

Pros: Breakfast was included and was GREAT! Fresh smoothies, juices, pastries, amazing fruit and quiches. Also, a hot menu to order off of with delicious options. The staff was lovely and helpful!! The beach is out of this world… soft, silky sand and great service on the beach. The hotels and chairs are comfy and provide relaxation & great shade… and a wonderful variety of activities (sailing, kayaking, kite surfing, surfing, paddle boarding, etc). A great beach to get take walks and find shells. Again the most gorgeous beach and beautiful water I have ever seen (comparable to water in the South Pacific). The pool was really nice - infinity pool by the main bar/Lotus restaurant - never seemed crowded and the service was great by the pool too. You could order lunch to the pool, beach or your room. As far as lunch- good options available (Especially Jerk Chicken, Parrot Cay Burger, Fish Tacos and conch fritters!!) and you could also eat at the Lotus Restaurant or pool bar. Dinners - we loved the ambiance at Lotus and had 3/5 meals there. One night was BBQ which was our favorite dinner, which also had live music. Otherwise, the appetizers were great and entrees good for the most part. Terrace (main restaurant) was very good - super quiet but delicious food - small portions though. Wine list had a great variety - we loved a cab (which was reasonably priced) "Wente Cabernet." Overall, nice guests, very laid back attire, and great relaxing tone to Parrot Cay. The island is beautiful by bike ride, and the spa is just lovely. Was such a peaceful and amazing trip. We absolutely plan to go back!!

Cons: As you can see from other posts - this resort is expensive. We were prepared to spend on accommodations and food, but were surprised with how steep the cocktails were. There is a gratuity and tax charge on everything… so a $16 cocktail (pina colada, run punch, etc) is really most $20. They are fabulous but just be prepared to spend on cocktails. Everything is imported so it has a high sticker price! The room was nice, nothing crazy over the top, but AC was great and loved the balcony and ocean view. Really nothing bad to say about this amazing resort.

We will definitely be back! Great food, awesome & wonderful staff and beautiful beach. A dream vacation!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank marymo830

Dear marymo830,

Thank you for your kind details review. I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Honeymoon with us, and once again Congratulation on behalf of the rest of the team here.

We look forward to welcome you back to another “dream vacation”, perhaps on your Anniversary.

Best Regards

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Very expensive for absolutely no reason:

Pros:
- Amazing Beach.
- Attentive staff on the beach and around the pool.

Cons:
- 10% service charge on everything, which the staff have problems explaining away.
- Poor shower facilities in the rooms, which leave the bathroom floor slippery and dangerous.
- Outdated in-room entertainment facilities, I've never seen anything like it.
- Stupidly expensive mini bar, which was replenished once during the stay.
- Reception staff who seem unable to pass on messages to other departments, or claim they
understand your request when clearly they don't.
- Possibly bogus medical staff, we unfortunately needed the "nurse" who didn't seem to know the basics nor did the "paramedic" who attended the next day . Be warned the nearest hospital is in Provo and anything more serious has to be treated in Miami.

- Also partner had a dose of suspected food poisoning, while there.
- The food is very limited in its choice, there is nothing in terms of West Indian foods on the menu.
- The staff seemed unable to tell us what was being cooked at the Saturday night BBQ, despite it costing $160 ??
- Entertainment, consisted of a man playing a guitar to some canned music near the pool. Utterly disappointing given this is a 5 star hotel.

There is better out there, Parrot Cay has cut corners and it shows, I can't recommend this place at all, I have no axe to grind, but for this price I expected better. MUCH BETTER.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank VanDrell
TeddySWiryawan, Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear VanDrell,

Thank you for your thorough review and your perspective of our resort.

On the overall, I truly appreciate your constructive feedbacks on your experience with us and this will leave us with areas to improve for our future guests.

I am disappointed to hear that you had to encounters service/communication shortcoming during your stay. Your feedback on our services definitely is taken seriously and I am following this up to rectify at the respective area.

Further looking at your Cons review, if I may address our medical assistant during your stay, I was surprised to hear that we left the impression of our nurse was “bogus” where the fact is our medical personnel has a proper certification/licensed to operate on TCI territory, as well as the USA. Although definitely with the equipments/supports limitation availability on the islands of TCI, we do suggest our guests to seek further assistant in Miami when necessary.

On the food items, as the source of the food items (mini bar items included) were all imported. The import duties range from 50% to 120% and that does not include the shipping from the US. As such the price we pay is that much higher than you would in the US. Our mark ups are actually lower than the industry standard, and I am very comfortable to share that our prices very competitive compared to other similar establishment on the main Island.

Following on the food poisoning suspicion on your partner, allow me to assure you that aside the fact that our food ingredients came from our suppliers in Miami (which then of course FDA approved), we also follow the HACCP standard on food handlings which controlled/audited internally bi-weekly basis and monthly audited by an authorized outside auditor.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Best Regards

Reviewed 8 April 2014

It is an incredible place. Beautiful island and beautiful houses and beautiful sea.
I do recommend that if you go outside of the school holidays if you really want to relax.
The hotel just has one swimming pool and when kids "invade" it it is hard to do so.

Everything else, specially food, spa and beach are worth the visit.
Hope to be back one day.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Luis S
TeddySWiryawan, Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Luis S,

Thank you for you kind feedback. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to see you back to Parrot Cay in the future

Reviewed 4 April 2014

This was the last destination of our honeymoon trip and have to admit that we were quite disappointed especially after having stayed in Providenciales for a few days just before.
The beach is nice but not as nice as Grace Bay in Providenciales (which is more beautiful, bigger and much more fun for snorkeling and paddle boat).
The hotel is nicely decorated and quite big though it's the private villas that make it seem bigger. Our room was nice,very clean, we had a view of the sea from the balcony and we appreciated the bottle of Laurent Perrier waiting for us in our room upon arrival.
There are only two restaurants; one asian style and the other called 'mediterranean'. We had a slight preference for the asian one even though both were average. It was a surprise to us as during our stay in Providenciales, all restaurants we went to were very very good.
As we had taken the romance package all meals were included but not the drinks. So for those who don't want to be as surprised as all the guests who left the same day as us (they were on our boat and checked out at the same time so we discussed this all together while leaving the hotel).. a bottle of water while you are eating is 10$, a glass of wine 28$ (with the taxes).. this for me is completely ridiculous when you are already paying over 1500$ per night!! So, I would suggest: bring your own bottle of wine as I saw some (wise) guests did!!
The breakfast was amazing. There is a lot of choice and the fresh smothies were delicious!
The main pool by the beach is gorgeous. While we were there were mostly pregnant women or couples with children who were around it most of the time.
One morning there was no electricity for at least two hours. Which was very inconvenient as by husband had important emails to send on that day so we thought that we were 'safe' from that kind of problems by staying in this resort but it wasn't the case. During breakfast when I ordered tea that day, they took the order without explaining to me that due to the shortage it was impossible for them to heat the water. So I ended up asking for it to 3 different people and getting it when I was done eating. Also I noticed a difference of service between those staying at the villas (who got there teas upon order) and the others. Having said this, you can imagine that I wasn't satisfied by the service at all. We sent an email to the manager to inform him about the above but were not satisfied by his reply.
The yoga class was good, would've like to try the pilates too but didn't get the chance.
We tried the spa and had a couples' massage. Both massages were very good and relaxing. After the massage we had a romantic lunch there as we could not book a romantic beachfront Tiki Hut dinner (due to sun mosquitoes).
So overall, I would say that our stay was nice because we were on our honeymoon trip but other than that I don't think we will be coming back to this resort. We enjoyed Providenciales though and will come back to TCI for sure, for the beautiful beaches..

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TrishaK972
TeddySWiryawan, Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear TrishaK972,

Thank you for your details feedback. I regret to hear that you were disappointed on your recent visit.

We do apologies for the inconvenience that you experience in one of the morning during your stay in regards to the unforeseen power failure. We did our best to solved the issue within a short window of time, unfortunately it did took us longer than expected to solve this unforeseen situation.

I do believe I spoke to your husband personally following the email that morning and sorted things through.

With regard to our beverage prices, all our products is imported, the import duties range from 50% to 120% and that does not include the shipping from the US. As such the price we pay is that much higher than you would in the US. Our mark ups are actually lower than the industry standard, and our prices are in line with those charged on the main Island.

Despite the unpleasant experience, we thank you for your compliment on our breakfast selections, our yoga classed and the main pool.

Once again, I would like to thank your constructive feedback and we look forward for another opportunity to welcome you back to Parrot Cay in the future.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

My partner and I went to Parrot Cay from 3/13-3/18 for a relaxing vacation. Here is our review:

Beach: The beach was beautiful--sugary sand and clear blue water--the best part of the resort.

Pool: There are 2 pools. The main pool is a stunning infinity pool that overlooks the ocean. Unfortunately for us, it was mostly occupied by families with young children. The children, acting as one would expect, were running around/splashing/crying/yelling. Consequently, it was not as peaceful and relaxing as my partner and I wanted it to be. We eventually retreated to the smaller, but lovely spa pool which was very quiet. That said, we would have preferred to stay at the main pool if it weren't so loud.

In retrospect, we wish we had known PC was as family oriented of a resort as it turned out to be. (In a previous visit in 2006, there were very few children and it was much more of an adults only/couple vibe). We also wish that PC held organized children activities at a location separate from the main pool. Perhaps this is not possible since PC is very small and there is not enough space to accommodate people with kids and those who want quiet.

Food: The food is one of the major problems with this resort. Breakfast was good and the buffet was really nice-the sugar donuts were great. The food, however, is ridiculously expensive. I understand that the food is more expensive for PC to purchase b/c it has to be shipped in from the mainland, but when you are charging upwards of $35-50 for an entree, the food should be pretty damn good--these are prices you would pay at a 5-star restaurant like 11 Madison or Gramercy Tavern. The food, however, was average at best. Mediocre Pad Thai--yes that's right--Pad Thai--was over $30!

Room: The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The bed is fantastic and the resort has invested in very high quality sheets and towels from Frette. The turn down service is also a nice touch. That said, we have stayed in much nicer rooms at other beach front resorts which included a larger and separate living room area and a plunge pool. Compared to these resorts, our room at PC was a little disappointing. Additionally the TV location is not ideal for the guest who is sleeping furthest away from the television - the bed post blocks its view.

Spa: The spa was one of the best parts of the resort. I had the Javanese Lulur Bath, which was truly indulgent. The person who provided my treatment was great, except for 2 things: 1) the bath (part of the treatment) was being filled during the treatment, which isn't a very relaxing sound; 2) she started sweeping up the remains of the exfoliation while I was in the bath, which was a little awkward, and made me feel guilty (I wanted to jump out and help her!). My partner had the standard 75 minute massage which he said was wonderful. He also really enjoyed the view from the spa rooms which looked out onto a beautiful marsh.

Service: Everyone at PC is very nice, and says "yes" to most everything. The follow-up is another story. Twice they did not record our dinner reservation properly - once they had not captured it at all and the other time they only wrote down a reservation for "2" when we had "4." Additionally, minor food requests such as removing mango from the french toast, taking off the avocado from the eggs were almost never handled correctly. Inevitably the food would come out with the mango and the avocado - this was frustrating given how expensive the food was. It could also be dangerous for those who may have food allergies or more problematic for those with religion-driven dietary restrictions.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Matthew F
TeddySWiryawan, Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Matthew F,

Thank you for your thorough feedback.

I do believe you have spoken to Grant/our General Manager personally on your feedback which has been shared with the team here and we do take your criticism into an opportunity to improve.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I have just returned from Como's Parrot Cay - my sixth visit in almost as many years, though this time, for the first time, we took a one bedroom villa - 1004. While the "regular" hotel rooms are fantastic in and of themselves, the villa experience lent to an entirely different and superbly luxurious holiday, worthy of my first shout out on TripAdvisor...

If you have never been - it is high time you go. A week on Parrot Cay trumps the same on St. Barth at Eden Rock, Guanahani or in a Wimco villa - and as my friends would attest I LOVE all three of those options! And if you have been to PC staying in one of the rooms I would urge you to splurged on a villa - you will be grateful you did.

While I will call out several employees by name I would be remise not to acknowledge the countless employees who are "back of house" those that made my protein shakes to order every morning when I brought them my powder - to Kezang the housekeeper whom we never even saw though she had been in the villa throughout the day while we were out, to the activities team on the beach - readying the paddle boards and rigging the little catamarans. Collectively such exceptional service is truly dreamy.

A few names in particular stick out as their WOW service really was above and beyond, tremendous in fact, and each is worthy of my making note here: Earol who picked us up at the airport, filling us in on what had been going on over the past year since our last visit; Nadia at the pool bar was really fantastic and was sure to recommend and then make us perfect cocktails every day, Dedrick at the pool was always ready to help; Shirley who drove us around the island on her golf cart with a "good morning" and a huge PC smile; Mara at Shambala - I swear I was touched by the hands of God during my treatments - I would return to see him alone - Shamabala!!!

And my thanks to chef - the food - WOW - those lobster tails which I ate daily - left me near speechless and I live on Miami Beach so I think I know good seafood lol...

Kudos, to Crawford and Grant for ensuring that every aspect of our stay was superb. Their devotion and strong leadership could be seen in almost every employee face on PC.

From our airport pick up to the boat back to the mainland, where we struck up a conversation with the affable Filipe from the front office - the entire team really made our five days seem like five weeks. Words would not convey what a wonderful trip we had. The fact that we heard PC had just won an award as best resort ever (hehe) clearly reflects that our experience was not an exception rather status quo! Such flawless training - like a well rehearsed world class philharmonic - is only reached when the team links are so perfectly intertwined that they flow together seamlessly to create experiences and memories that last a lifetime.

The Parrot Cay staff left us wanting for nothing other than to extend our stay, which we did if only by one day lol...

PS - when you go I highly recommend that you purchase the Shambala product line of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and most importantly lotion - I near guarantee you will thank yourself when you are home - the cool, smooth scents - even in your own shower -will take you right back to PC...

Thank you kindly!

Room Tip: Villa #1004 unless you need a second room, then the neighboring villa, I believe it is 1003.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Joshua D

Dear Joshua D,

Thank you for you kind feedback.

It was a pleasure to have you back with us recently and it was my pleasure to meet you personally during your visit.

I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay as years past and your comments on staff will be share amongst the team, this will definitely encourage everyone to continue providing excellent service to our future guest.

We look forward for your return to Parrot Cay next year.

Warm Regards,

#5 of 44 in Providenciales
The Tuscany
The Tuscany
#1 of 44 in Providenciales

Been to COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos? Share your experiences!