“Loved it! Very relaxing place!”

COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Parrot Cay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC
“Loved it! Very relaxing place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2006

Parrot Cay was a really amazing place. Boat ride was a breeze with great views. From arrival into the resort we knew things were going to be great. (we stayed on Grace bay for a couple of days prior to arriving and although we had a great time there too, we were really happy that we had come to Parrot Cay- since it was so private.) They had individual carts ready to go to the main lobby for each guest. Check in was very personal with them giving a glass of champagne followed by leading us to our room which already had our luggage in the room. We stayed in an Ocean Facing Room and the view was fantastic! I was originally a little worried because we were not right on the beach, but the view was really nice and it was just a short walk over to the pool and beach area where we spent all our day. The rooms interior themselves were okay (not anything spectacular) the bathroom was kinda small but it wasn't anything that bothered us terribly. (we spent most of our time either at the beach or on the balcony of our room. The bathroom products, the comfy bed, and the amazing view was really great!

Service at the entire resort including restaurants, guest services, spa, housekeeping was really great. There are a lot of workers here recruited from Bali and they really had a great attitude and tried to do everything they could do accomodate people.

Restaurants had really good food too- I was a little concerned after reading previous posts but everything we had was so yummy- we ate at the Lotus Restuarant a few times and also at the Terrace Restuarant (the Filet was incredible and the Trio of Chocolate dessert is a must for chocolate lovers!). If you want some more variety you can ask for the Spa Menu which is available at all the restaurants for lunch and dinner and it had additional wholesome selections. Food and drinks are expensive here. Alcoholic Drinks can cost from $15-20 each- so come here knowing that! Also may not be a bad idea to pack some liquor with you for drinks in your room in the evenings before dinner. The package deals offered on the websites are really great- try to take advantage of those if you can!

The beach was so beautiful!!!!! We have been to many places around the world and thought the beach at Parrot Cay was among the best! There were virtually no crowds on the beach and not many at the pool on most days too. No worries about getting chairs at this resort- you will be able to find something on the beach or pool.

Surprisingly- there were some children at the resort while we were there. Most of them were by the pool area during the day. If it was us- we would not recommend this place for families with young kids because it is more of a romantic quiet resort with nothing for children. Most of the guests seem to be couples. That being said there were a few and they were sometimes loud- but only at the pool in the afternoon. (Nothing awful- they were just playing around in the water.) If you want more quiet than just go to the beach...

By the way- NO problems at all with Mosquitos! (We had tons of problems with mosquitos while on Grace Bay on Provo-much more than at Parrot Cay! I don't think we even had to spray ourselves with bug spray while here. I guess it just depends on the rains, etc...)

Spa was really relaxing place - definitely get a treatment if you are there- or at least go and see the views on that side of the resort. Book your treatments early or else you may not get the times you want. Yoga class in the morning is a nice start to the day and great for even beginners on most days. Didn't try Pilates but they have that available in the afternoons too. Gym is nice and is open 24 hours a day if want to get a workout in...

I would highly recommend this resort for a nice quiet romantic vacation. Important to note that the resort is on it's own seperate island away from Grace Bay so if you come here you should know that you are going to be at the resort the whole time (meals, etc) There are excursions you can go on (snorkeling, golf, scuba etc) just book with guest services upon arrival if you want to do activities.

We came here to relax and unwind and get away from the crowds and it was the perfect treat for us. We found the resort to be a really romantic place. We will be back and most likely will book a Beach House next time just to try a different category room!

• Stayed July 2006
16 Thank Travcarib

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2006

Tip Top. Just came back from Parrot Cay with wife plus child. We truly have been ‘everywhere’ in the Caribbean, South Africa, Europe, Asia, South American and the list goes on and on. Parrot Cay stands at the top of the list rivaled by only the best of the best of Asia's /Polynesia’s top resorts. But - make sure you stay in a Beach Villa -- I cannot guarantee satisfaction in a regular room cause those don’t look extraordinary and their location is a bit remote from the main pool and the beach. Indeed it is more expensive to rent a Villa but boy it's worth every penny. You will have a modern, clean and beautifully decorated home with your own plunge pool right on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. The spa at Parrot Cay is unrivaled. Treatments as well as spa design. Make sure you try the raw cookies and take time to enjoy their spiced teas and the facility. Many of the hotel staff members are Asians. There is no better service than Asian service (Thai/Balinese etc.) They have always tried to please. Good with kids. Always smiling. Everywhere. Food is good. The restaurant by the pool is nice. Room service is ok. The hotel is reasonably casual. No worries about fancy dresses and high heels. June is relatively low season so I don’t know how they do when it’s a busier season. Two thumbs up. I have seen some bad reviews on Parrot Cay. One word. Rubbish. It’s a fantastic resort.

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank lemjob
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2006

You might notice that this review appears quite a few months after my trip to Parrot Cay. The only reason for that is laziness on my part.
My sister and I (we're in our 20s) visited Parrot Cay with two friends of ours (also sisters in their 20s) during the off season (Late Oct into early Nov) and got a great package deal including breakfasts, dinners, a complimentary massage, transportation from the airport to the ferry that led directly to our own private island (at least it felt like our own), so while it was fairly pricey, it was worth every cent.
Starting with the rooms, the a/c was wonderful (very important to me) and there was plenty of closet space. We didn't see any waterbugs or any other weird bugs in our room (my sister and I are ridiculously frightened of any bugs larger than a mosquito). Everything had a clean, white washed feel, from the linens to the stone tiled floors, and the terrace was beautiful with its wooden chairs and day bed (although the view consisted of just dense trees and flowers).
The beach is gorgeous as one can tell from the pictures so I won't go into that. The employees there are so accommodating (even if sometimes, rarely, but sometimes, they did not speak english very well) and seemed to go out of their way to serve us.
Everything, everywhere smelled like lavender and chamomile and I have never felt so relaxed in my life.
As for what to do aside from the beach, I will guiltily admit that my sister and I watched a bit of TV, we're Law and Order addicts, what can I say. 2 of our 3 nights, the four of us spent in the beautiful library playing raucous, side splitting rounds of Cranium, although there was a pool table and other board games available as well as 6-7 computers with high speed internet.
The included breakfasts were spectacular! There is a buffet of standard pastries, fruits, etc. in the dining room, but you can also choose whatever you want from the extensive main menu. My sister and I, notorious late risers, were always there at 9:30am sharp so we could take our time eating huge breakfasts on the restaurant terrace. The menu included things like eggs benedict, omelettes, freshly blended smoothies, freshly squeezed juices, cinnamon french toast, you get the idea. We ordered multiples of many things. Yummm. Food is very important to all four of us and we did not have a single meal where we weren't shouting, "Oh my god my dish is amazing you have to try it!" "No, no, try mine, try mine, it's sooooo good!"
Now, there are a few down sides, but by no means would they bar my friends and I from going again...and again...and again.
1) Mosquitoes-unfortunately I am extremely allergic to whatever is in most bug sprays (Off!, etc) so I was the worst off with a whopping 88-90 bug bites when I left the island. One of my friends was obsessive about the bug spray and she got about 3-4 bites over our 4 day stay. The other two were not quite as vigilant, but did use the bug spray and one got 9-10 bites, while my sister got 20-30
2) Rainy season-of course in life you can't get something for nothing. While the rates and packages were cheaper during oct/nov, it did rain fairly often (short spurts of rain), but those became nice moments to go to the spa, take a nap, or eat lunch. One of our four days there was no rain at all and it was glorious.
3) No motorized watersports-this lends to the quiet relaxing atmosphere, but when we first began planning our caribbean vacation we did look fwd to some jet skiing.
That's really it. We loved the place and will definitely go back there sometime in the future.

• Stayed November 2005
10 Thank SRinNYC
atlanta, ga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2006

Parrot Cay may be located in the south Atlantic, but the vibe is all Eastern. As advertised, the rooms were comfortable and minimalist chic. The staff was attitude was incredible - polite, attentive and respectful. The beach was a perfect 1 mile stretch of powder white sand and gentle waves. The entire resort is spotless. Food was good, especially if you like Asian influence. I was a bit disappointed that there were no local seafood items on the menu (e.g. conch, grouper), apparently a quality control issue. Had heard the mosquitos and no seeums were bad but did not get a single bite despite summer heat and no wind. While the room rates were reasonable, the food and cocktail prices were pretty high ($16 for mixed drink, $8 for a beer). One unique yet very attractive attribute for us was the DIY bonefishing. I could spend the early morning wading nearby flats accessed by sea kayak while the wife went to complimentary yoga and then a massage or facial. Very good choice for someone interested in bonefishing but also interested in a luxury resort. Not many of those around, and Parrot Cay has it. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank ccew
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2006

We just returned from our honeymoon at Parrot Cay. Hopefully this review will help you as much as the other reviews here helped us.

Fist of all, the resort is VERY secluded and VERY quiet. We had an absolute blast just chilling out, reading books, drinking wine and watching the beautiful sunsets on the unbelievable beach and just spending time alone together. The best way I can describe the setting at PC is almost equal to that of a monestary. If you want to get away from people, spend time with your loved one and just chill out, this is the place to do it. The asian influence is very apparent on the resort design as the disruption of nature is at a minimum and the dimply lit sidewalks are almost monk-like. 95% of the people we seen were couples and the occasional nod from other guests seems to be the accepted amount of communication. In other words, not a lot of people seem to want to engage in conversation. Which, believe me, was fine with us.

The food was outstanding at both the Lotus and the Terrace restaurants. Watch out, when they say spicey, they mean SPICY! The price of the dinners though were nothing short of being robbed. For 2 people to eat an appetizer, entree, dessert and a couple cokes was well over $250 every night. Luckily, food was included in our package. And the drinks were just way overpriced. One mixed drink is $16 (without tip and not a very strong one at that). We heard about this and brought our own wine to dinner every night and they are perfectly happy with letting you do it. I can't help but think that if the drinks weren't so overpriced that they would definitely have more people in the bar. We saw 4 people in the Lotus bar once. They weren't there very long.

The helpfulness of the staff seemed to vary depending on their role. The wait staff bent over backwards to make you happy, however, the cleaning folks, maintenance staff and front counter leave a lot to be desired. For the few times that we required their assistance, they really seemed to be put off or said that they would take care of it and you never heard from them again. As others have said here before, definitely check your bill. We were charged for things we didn't purchase and not charged for things that we should have been. When we brought everything to their attention, they didn't seem too happy to have to figure it out. They don't seem to understand that when you check out and your bill is over $11,000 that you deserve the right to have someone explain the vague charges listed on your bill.

As far as celebrities, the closest we came was Mariah Carey was leaving the day we arrived. Needless to say, my new wife was not too sad to hear about that. A couple quick tips: Be sure to use the pool and jacuuzi behind the old spa. You will most likely be all by yourself. Also, there are three Tiki Huts to the right of the Infinity pool that are awesome for laying in and taking a nap that anyone can use. If you want water at dinner, they will ask you if you want bottled water or sparkling water (at a nice $7/bottle), tell them neither. Ask for tap water, it is just fine and it is free. If you must have bottled water in your room, here is a tip. Go down to the old spa and inside the locker rooms they have boittled water available for free on the counter. We simply took a few bottles back to our room and put them in our refrigerator. This worked out great for going to the beach.

As for the spa, absolutely second to none. We each had a deep tissue massage, an Indian Head massage and a hot stone massage. Skip the hot stone, not worth the money. The setting for the new spa is so tranquil and relaxing as you sit and overlook North Caicos.

All in all, PC was our dream vacation and except for a few things here and there, we were extremely happy with the ability to relax and unwind in this atmosphere. We were joking that the reosrt should be called a COMA experience instead of COMO for how we felt after seven days. We have never in our lives done so much of nothing for so long. I hope this review helps you in your travels to this resort.

Erick and Jennifer Phillips
Clarkston, MI

Stayed June 2006
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2006

We arrived on a saturday afternoon and left on a tuesday, two solid days is just not enough time to relax---because this absolutly is THE place to just chill out and feel healthy & good & relax. We stayed in a beach front villa, it was amazing ! plunge pool, screened in porch, tv, kitchen etc etc -the spa food was delicous, I loved the nutmilkshakes and raw food menu options, as well as the tiramisu from the other restaurant and the breakfast was delicious. The only not so great experience we had was the BBQ on saturday night which was supposed to be great but it was not so hot, as well as oysters from LONG ISLAND ??? weird
we went on a snorkel trip-so much fun, the spa was nice but not blow your mind, it was also very difficult to make an appt for any additional treatments once we arrived which was very annoying as there is not much to do here, the gym was almost always empty. We really felt like the only ones there sometimes. The one really bad thing about this place is the BUGS !!!!! really truly I was prepared I had read a bunch of these reviews so I brought spray, but still I think they must have been invisible little buggers, everyday I felt like I was getting eaten alive no matter how much bug spray I put on . The icing on the cake was the last night scurring accross the bathroom floor was a giant king size roach ! Thankfully they did have roach spray underneath the kitchen sink---apparently this is not that uncommon ?
Aside from the bugs I would actually return to this place & recommend it to friends it is amazing the sand the sea etc etc
totally worth it and a direct flight from NYC is only 3 hrs
plus boat & taxi which is another 45 minutes, but once you get there you begin to forget about time for just a little while........

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank tuffybear
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2006

When you arrive at the airport and begin your trip, you will be glad you chose this resort, especially when you pass the other resorts along Grace Bay. They all look the same and are very close together. None compare to Parrot Cay.
After a 40 min. boat ride, we arrived at PC. We left Charlotte on a direct flight at 9:30am and arrived on the island around 1:30pm. After being shuttled from the boat dock by friendly staff, we walked into the main building and were directed to the upstairs Terrace bar inside to wait for our introduction. There wasnt much of an intro - we were taken to our room, a garden view, steps from this main building. I asked for a map and they said they would give us one later. It would have been nice if there had been a better initial orientation and maybe a tour. We never felt like we had a complete idea of the whole resort/island.
We changed clothes immediately and found our way to the beautiful pool. The zero-entry, infinty pool is spectacular. We had lunch pool side, from the adjacent Lotus restaurant menu, which was delicious. Be prepared to pay much more than normal here. A coke and an orange juice approaches $16 when it is all said and done. And yes, its true, a hamburgers and fries really does cost $26. But everything is very tasty, the poolside service is terrific, the view from the pool deck is perfect -- a favorite spot the whole trip.
The resort has only two dining options: The poolside Lotus restuarant (lunch and dinner), and the Terrace Restaurant (breakfast and dinner). We ended up ordering room service dinner the first two nights because the 2 restaurant menus were so limited. The room service menu offers much of what is offered for lunch at the poolside Lotus restuarant. There isnt really enough American fare for dinner and the resort would be great with one more dining option and maybe a snack bar or night-time casual grill. WARNING. Bring any snacks your family cant live without there is NO place to buy snacks here. There is an overpriced mini-bar but it doesnt have much food in it. The dinner menus finally changed after a few days.
Breakfast at the Terrace is very good with some good choices on the menu and a small buffett of bread, fruit, and cereal. Again, there is only one lunch option (poolside at the Lotus)and the menu did not change the week we were there. It seemed like we ate a lot of fries.
The beach is gorgeous like the pool, but the water is colder compared to other places in the Caribbean, because the beach faces North and directly faces Atlantic waters. The sand is so nice and white and there is hardly anyone on the beach! Very private. There is no shortage of chairs here or on the pool deck. Upon arriving poolside, very friendly attendants bring you cold water, fresh towels and popsicles in the afternoon around 2:00. That was a nice touch.
There is NO evening entertainment and dinner menus have only a few entrees (4 or 5). Prices range from $38-60 per entree. Sides are extra. For all meals, they offer bottled water for two (7$ per split). They have free bottled water the rest of the time, and they dont recommend you drink the tap water.
The resort also features a small exercise facility, which is very near the pool and beach access. The small room contains 2 or 3 treadmills, an out of date stair climber, two stationary bikes, one eliptical, a full set of free weights, and various other pieces of equipment. An upgrade would do wonders.
The resorts fleet of boats/ferries are not on a regular schedule, particularly the "from Provo to PC" leg of the journey. These were scheduled based on arriving passengers only. We went to Provo one night and you will probably end up going to, wanting some supplies that aren't found in the meager gift shop or some variety in food. We took a 3:30 ferry, shopped in the two small shopping areas, ate 7:00 dinner at Anacaona at Grace Bay Club and left on the 9:00 ferry. Note: Most of the shops (across from the entrace to Grace Bay) on Provo close at 5:00pm. Grace Bay is also expensive but not nearly as nice as Parrot Cay.
While at PC, we really wanted to leave to get souveniers for our son and some friends. The gift shop at Parrot Cay has some overpriced resort wear and bikinis and thats it. Oh, and $18 bottles of average sunscreen. There are hardly any PC items. None of the usual things you'd find in a resort shop. This was our biggest complaint and something that should really be fixed immediately. The resort needs a shop where you can buy essentials that you forgot and souveniers to bring home with the PC logo. There is nothing for children. We bought T-shirts at Mama's at the Ports o Call shops across from the Grace Bay Club.
The spa, though also expensive is beautiful and worth a visit and a treatment. I only needed a manicure and it was worth it just to be there for a few moments.
We didnt take any snorkel or boating excursions because they seemed awfully expensive, and weren't promoted as a worthwhile experience. Much much more expensive than any other resort we have been to.
Next time we will probably book a trip with Silver Deep...they seem to be very popular and have a shop at the leeward ferry docks of Provo.
Overall, PC was great and so beautiful. We loved the pool and everything seemed so clean and well maintained. Our room was great, it doesnt seem worth it to pay for anything but a garden view....the beach villas and views are not even right on the beach. The room service is great and they come by all the time.
We missed having a great gift shop and wish there had been a few more activities and dining options. It is very peaceful and everyone was so friendly. We even saw a few big celebs :) There is a nice library and many computers with free internet to check email. You can also rent dvds and cds, also a nice touch.

As this great resort continues to mature, we would definitely come back again - and probably will soon.

• Stayed February 2006
Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
The Regent Grand
The Regent Grand
#7 of 45 in Providenciales

Been to COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos? Share your experiences!