“Over rated, huge disappointment”

COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Parrot Cay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 November 2006

My husband I were very much looking forward to stay at Parrot Cay. We booked Beach House Package for 7 nights and kindly up graded to Beach Villa. (we normally stay at 5 star hotels and suite room and I work for Airline so you can trust my standard for service)

However things started go all wrong at the room. The floor was dirty and not cleaned at all. When we checked in, we normally take off the shoes after 13 hours flight from London to unpack. After 5 minuites walking around the room, our feet went very black. It was most dirtiest hotel we have ever stayed. I asked them to mop the floor, but one of the cleaner was very lazy and he never did. So, finally I asked to change the cleaner (asian lady) who did fantastic job and floor became walkable by bear foot again.

Then hotel safe was broken and needed to call engineer.

Next day, we had heavy rain and roof was also broken and all our clothes at closet was soaking wet and needed to dry cleaning for my husband jacket.

I couldn't believe that it was 5 star hotel and the room was beach front Beach Villa. I wonder that if it happens to Bruice Willis or Demi Moor? As a compensation they provided us Tiki Hut Lunch which was very nice gesture.

The serviced was OK and they were polite and smiling all the time. However they were not well trained and they don't know what is the good service. They brought the bill before we finish the meal and ask them. One lunch time, we were still eating, all the waiters were making noise to move around the tables and chairs to prepare for the big group (Armani Exchange which is owned by Christine Ong who is a owner of Parrot Cay) . So it was not acceaptable. They care for more famous people, their owners event , guest and journalists. They were oviously paying special attension to journalists. I now know why all the review on magazines and news papers were great. I will not trust and rely on them from now on.

Also we were on meal package. The food was very disappointing and just huge portion. We felt like as if we were cow. So I couldn't eat 3 course meal which includes. However I have requested mint tea instead of pudding (desert) was refused and they demand to pay extra for mint tea. I think Christine Ong is very money tight person.

Last big dissapointment was check out. The casher was charging lunch which we never eat , because we arrived on the evening. Then they charged something else for twice (USD 190 was charged twice) for no reason as a evening meal. We can't eat such a big dinner twice on same evening. There were so many mistakes on the bill and strongly recommend to check over and over. When they correct one thing, they added another thing, so after they correct, please check. The casher was very rude and never apologised for their mistakes. what they said was 'what's next? Their attitude was not welcoming and not friendly comparing to other carribean destination.

The beach was one of the most beautiful beach. The spa facility was also most amazing. Yoga and Pilates class were very good.

Most Americans stay this hotel for a few days, so they don't find many negative things. But Parrot Cay was over rated and we will never go back there. You don't get what you paid for there.

12  Thank Hoteljunkiebunny
ThibautCOMO, Director of Sales at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Good afternoon

Thank you for your stay and review.

Reviewed 30 October 2006

My wife and I just came home from a seven night stay at the absolutely wonderful Parrot Cay resort. Most of the reviews here have been very positive,but there have been some negative ones as well. Goes to show you can't please all the people all the time. All I can say we thought the resort was wonderful in almost every way. The beach was among the best we have ever seen. I've never seen water quite so turquoise blue before. You could walk out for a quarter of a mile and the water was still only up to your waist. Simply gorgeous. The infinity pool was equally inviting and we spent time at both. For a one week stay the choice of two restaurants for dinner was more than adequate,and we found the food to be very good mostly with the occasional bit of excellence thrown in. Lunch was a weak point as the menu needs to be updated and the quality improved. $22 for turkey roll and bacon on white bread is a bit excessive. Still,overall food was very good. You MUST have dinner included in your rate. If you don't dinner will cost over $200 per meal per couple . Expensive indeed. The rooms seem to have gotten the most negative comments here. All I can say is they are simple yet comfortable. We found the terraces to be huge. And the rooms were very clean with no insect problems to report. We must have gone during low mosquito season. The mosquito netting around the canopy beds was also very cozy and romantic. Overall we were quite happy with the rooms. We were shocked that someone brought three young children to a resort like this. It is not a very suitable place for children and they were disruptive to the overall quiet and serenity of the resort. The spa here was the best spa I've ever been to. Simply incredible and not to be missed. All in all we loved Parrot Cay and will return as soon as we can. If action is what you seek go elsewhere. But if you're looking for a quiet,secluded,and peaceful time away with your special someone Parrot Cay will most certainly put a smile on your face.

6  Thank Munchky
ThibautCOMO, Director of Sales at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2017

Reviewed 26 October 2006

I cannot understand why this hotel got such rave reviews from so many guests. The privite island was wonderful and the grounds were very special. The service was great as well as the food. However, the smell of pesticides were prevelent all over the island. The only way to escapae this was to sit on the beautiful beach. The entire property was sprayed twice daily and although the hotel claimed that the spray was non toxic, how can that be? If it can kill bugs, it can injure us. The rooms were average. The lounge chairs in the rooms were unconfortable and unable to view the television from the chairs or the beds. The bathrooms were awful with mold growing on the countertops. From the Ocean View rooms, perhaps you can see about a foot of ocean through the foliage. Perhaps the experience would be different from the beachfront accomodations or larger and newly built accomodations.
We would not return.

Stayed: June 2006
11  Thank Priscillamac

Good afternoon

Thank you for your stay and review. COMO Parrot Cay is currently going throuhg a large investment programme with re design of all of our Rooms and suites and implementation of new elements.

Reviewed 19 October 2006

Also just returned from Parrot Cay. Having travelled all over the world and stayed in nice resorts from Bora Bora to Mexico and Hawaii I can say that this place was particuarly unique.

First, one must realize that the resort itself is on its own private island with its own beach that at its peak time had about 10 people on it. The length of the beach is 1/2 mile at least with multiple umbrellas and chaise lounges. There is always a friendly staff person to greet you at the beach and give you towels and fresh cold bottled water.

Second, unlike much of the carribean where indifferent service can be a problem, here the owners have flown in their best from all over the world (mostly from bali,thailand and singapore) to supplement the locals. As a result the service is very, very good. Nice and pleasant and quick.

The food package is the way to go (dinner and breakfast) so that you don't have to worry about the cost of dining. The dinner at the Lotus restaurant is outstanding if you are a fan of asian cooking.

Finally, the spa and the grounds of the resort are so relaxing and tranquil. My 8 days passed so fast without any effort. Pool and the beach, reading and relaxing with a few drinks and cigars--what more can you ask for to get away from the hustle and bustle of life. You will absolutely not find pool volleyball, party scene here.

The only cons I can think of is that the Hotel does not run its own scuba diving service so when we went diving we had to transport by boat 30 minutes back to provo then another hour boat ride to the diving site. All in all, the diving trip took an entire day (7am to 4 pm). The other con is that the rooms are nice, but your expectation should not be like a Bora Bora overwater bungalow or a Four Seasons Maui room. They are more basic than that, though nice and spacious. More colonial/plantation in design.

Trust me, if you are looking for a healthy, mellow place, with impecabble service and a wide open beach with aqua water--this is it. You will not be leaving the Cay after you arrive so be prepared to really relax and indulge!

7  Thank Grubber22

Reviewed 18 October 2006

If you want peace, tranquility, and the best beaches in the Caribbean head to Parrot Cay. I visited Parrot Cay September of this year and fell in love upon arrival. My boyfriend and I were greeted at the airport by a representative of Parrot Cay who directed us into a small shuttle bus which took us to the Marina. We were then greeted by Beka who directed us to a Parrot Cay private small yacht, which took us through the bluest waters outside of Greece. It was heaven from the moment we boarded the boat.

We were then greeted by a very friendly and accommodating staff who directed us to our room. To our delight we were upgraded to a suite. It was gorgeous, roomy, clean, and large. After a long trip from New York we took showers and headed for the delicious fresh water pool where we laid out for most of the day. We then ventured off to the beach- think Corona beer commercial. The only sound heard were the lapping waves. The beach was powdery and the water was crystal clear for miles. The cushioned lounge chairs were strewn about the beach in sets with attached umbrellas. They were spaced a good distance from each other, but it was not necessary since we were there before their busy season (October) and only saw about three other couples the entire time. We practically had the entire place to ourselves. It was heaven!

However, no place is perfect… The place is pricey. A three course meal for two was about $240 – lobster and steak.. On average the bills were no less than $150 (lunch) including tip.. The worse part is that the food was not great. It was actually not good. I hate to say it because I LOVE PARROT CAY!!! But the food could have been better. Please beware that my boyfriend and I cannot tolerate bad food; we just like good food. The worst part about this setback is that you are on the island without any other choice.

I believe Parrot Cay restaurants had a health menu, which I did not try because I was not aware of it at the time, but would have enjoyed it and believe the seasoning would have been less complicated. Another bad thing about the food is that it was not fresh. I had some beef there that rivaled the dingiest Chinese restaurant in New York’s inner cities. It was fatty and low grade - could not eat it.

THE SPAS are a must and would recommend indulging in them upon arrival or mid stay because the deep tissue is supposed to be phenomenal, but not on your last day – not before traveling because of the soreness after. We had a basic couple’s massage – it was heavenly. Oh, the products used in the spa and in the rooms will leave you wanting more and may be purchased in their boutique or spas. I use mine now and am reminded of my wonderful stay.

One more drawback. The grounds are sprayed with pesticide, which leaves that unpleasant smell in the air. I would beware of visiting while expecting.

I would not let these negatives deter me from visiting Parrot Cay. It is a paradise and I did not want to leave. I hope to return but would not order any beef and will stick to simpler food such as the chicken caesar salad and chicken fingers. The chicken fingers (not McDish at all) and French fries, both with sweet and sour sauce, were yummy! Expensive, but yummy! I hope this does not prevent you from visiting because it is a gem and as you may know, good hotels are hard to find. Perfect hotels - even harder.

8  Thank Yad

Reviewed 9 October 2006

My girlfriend and I just returned from Parrot Cay and one word comes to mind; Perfect. Just before posting this review, I read the two most recent ones that were left. First, yes, the food is expensive, but you have the option to purchase the meal plan with all Lunch and Dinners included. The portions are so big that for lunch my girlfriend and I simply split dishes. Second, yes, it is quiet and relaxing. If you want Casino's, cheap bars, single scene, crazy nightlife I suggest you spend your money at Sandals or Club Med. This resort is the pefect retreat from work, enabling you to peacefully relax on the most beautiful beach I have ever seen, eat food that rivals those of New York City's best and spend lots of quiet time with your significant other. As I said, for those of you who want to complain about food prices and things to do, go to Sandals or Club Med. Parrot Cay is exclusive and pristine.

I must have read every review on Trip Advisor about hotels in T&C as well as other islands. This site is very helpful. However, I am not sure how Parrot Cay was only ranked 7th. On our trip from the airport to the private boat which took us to Parrot Cay, we passed other resorts on Grace Bay. Club Med, T&C Club and other big hotels on this part of T&C gave me the feeling like I was in Florida, Clearwater Beach to be exact. It was overbuilt, hotels on top of each other, no privacy or seclusion, kids and very not relaxing looking. I was 250% happy with the choice of Parrot Cay. It was private, secluded, pristine and quiet.

We were upgraded to the Ocean Front room with our Sun & Seclusion package. This included all breakfast and dinners (no alcohol), 60 min couple massage, snorkle/island trip and transfers. Go with the package which includes dinner, the food is expensive and the package is the best bang for the buck.

The rooms were clean, spacious (this if from a New Yorkers standpoint), large balconies with a day bed and maid service in the AM and turn down service at night. Bugs were not a problem, we had spray and used it in the evening.

The spa was awesome. We had our massages and they were great. Parrot Cay just opened its new spa facility and it is beautiful, just as good as Bliss in NYC.

You get free Yoga during the week in the Yoga pavillion. We had never done Yoga before, but tried it and were hooked. Again, pristine setting, very relaxing.

Transfers went smooth, no issue or problems to report.

If you want an exclusive feeling resort with no kids, idiot drunks, casinos and a private island to spend quality time with your significant other, this is it.

11  Thank nycm1

Reviewed 7 October 2006

We read so many glowing reviews on this resort over the weeks and months leading up to our trip that we just knew we were about to experience the vacation of a lifetime. Fact is, I can't imagine how people say they loved this place. I guess we should have taken it VERY literally when people said this place is quiet and great for relaxation. I was totally, utterly, and completely bored out of my mind. There's nothing to do but sit in your room or go by the pool or go to the beach. While in theory, those are your options in most resorts, but here its, in my opinion, just too quiet.
If Parrot Cay was just a quiet resort with nothing to do, I really wouldnt complain so much but there is the food factor. The food was waaaay too expensive. breakfast was free but lunch will run you *at least* $60/day if your being "cheap"and just getting the $20 hamburgers and $7 waters, dinner *at least* $150/day again on the cheap side. And I didnt enjoy any of the lunches or dinners (possibly because I felt I was getting screwed with each meal).
The grounds are nice enough. Lots of tropical greenery and the place is very well maintained. The service was ok. We got to know some of the guys and we appreciated their services, lots of smiles everytime we saw any member of the staff. They were nonintrusive yet attentive poolside.

3  Thank xulsu

Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
The Regent Grand
The Regent Grand
#6 of 44 in Providenciales

Been to COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos? Share your experiences!