“Asian flare in the caribbean” 5 of 5 bubbles

COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Parrot Cay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Caracas, Venezuela
“Asian flare in the caribbean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2006

We have stayed at several Como hotels, since we loved them and we live on this side of the world (South America) we gave a try to Tha Parrot Cay. We have been there 3 times going for the 4th. We simply love this tropical, holistic and amazing place.

4 Thank AlexGher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Dutchess County, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2006

My husband and I were previously in Turks and Caicos with our family. On that trip we stayed at Beaches (which was worse than awful). During that trip we went on an excursion that took us, by boat, past the Parrot Cay Resort. I told my husband that if we were to have another occassion to go back to Turks and Caicos we should go to Parrot Cay.

I had previoulsy read about Parrot Cay and when we wanted a short get-a-way for my husband's birthday, our travel agent highly reccommended Parrot Cay. She said it had an understated elegance that she thought we would enjoy. Besides, it is a relatively quick trip from NY (with direct/non-stop flights on Sundays) and would give us some very relaxing down time.

When we arrived we were whisked away in a van to the port where we were transported by boat to the resort. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted, given cold eucalyptus sceented towels and offerred either champagne or rum cocktail. Since our room was not ready, the hotel gave us lunch at their expense. As soon as we finished lunch overlooking the pool, we were ushered to our room - a beach villa. It was spacious, clean, private and very romantic! Two bathrooms, large sitting area, screened in porch, plunge pool and bedroom with four poster bed, tv with dvd player. The amenties were wonderful which included their own brand of soap, shampoo, conditioner and moisturizing lotion; luxurious towels, bathrobes and flip flops.

There were two lounge chairs out by our pool that were covered daily with clean terry cloth chair covers. I asked for additional chair covers that were brought so we could take them down to the beach. It really seemed to us that whatever we wanted, the staff at Parrot Cay was at least going to try to accomodate! It was truly more than what we could ask for.

Every day on the beach someone came around with cold bottles of water, cold euclapytus scented towels and homemade popsicles! Someone came to our room daily to clean out the pool (leaves would fall in there from the surrounding foliage). The beach was well cared for - the chairs and umbrellas were tended to, they sprayed in the evenings for sand flies and luxurious towels were amply supplied.

We had outstanding massages. We took the daily yoga and pilates classes that were some of the best we've experienced. We loved the spa cuisine. It was unusual and delicious. Overall the food was very good. Our only complaint was that with two restaurants the choices on the menus were somewhat limited and the meals were very expensive (even by Manhattan standards). If you had appetizers, main courses, a glass of wine and shared a dessert you should expect to spend $100 per person. We were not on any kind of a package. Drinks were likewise expensive, however, in the evenings, if you ordered a drink you received the special "bar food" of the evening - a tidbit appetizer type with your own small bowl of spiced peanuts (we thought a very nice touch).

This not a glitzy Carribean resort with casino, entertainment, etc. It is a VERY quite, elegant resort. Bring a good book(s), a backgammon game and some of your favorite DVDs (although the reosrt maintains a fairly extensive DVD library that they loan out free of charge). There is NOTHING to do except the daily yoga and pilates classes, the beautiful beach and conversation with your travel companion (there is also a small but well equipped and maintained gym). This was a perfect get-a-way for us.

Most of the guests we spoke to were Parrot Cay regulars, coming back year after year! We plan to become one of the regulars and have already asked our travel agent to book us another trip for next year!

Stayed November 2006
11 Thank atraveljunky
London UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2006

My husband I were very much looking forward to stay at Parrot Cay. We booked Beach House Package for 7 nights and kindly up graded to Beach Villa. (we normally stay at 5 star hotels and suite room and I work for Airline so you can trust my standard for service)

However things started go all wrong at the room. The floor was dirty and not cleaned at all. When we checked in, we normally take off the shoes after 13 hours flight from London to unpack. After 5 minuites walking around the room, our feet went very black. It was most dirtiest hotel we have ever stayed. I asked them to mop the floor, but one of the cleaner was very lazy and he never did. So, finally I asked to change the cleaner (asian lady) who did fantastic job and floor became walkable by bear foot again.

Then hotel safe was broken and needed to call engineer.

Next day, we had heavy rain and roof was also broken and all our clothes at closet was soaking wet and needed to dry cleaning for my husband jacket.

I couldn't believe that it was 5 star hotel and the room was beach front Beach Villa. I wonder that if it happens to Bruice Willis or Demi Moor? As a compensation they provided us Tiki Hut Lunch which was very nice gesture.

The serviced was OK and they were polite and smiling all the time. However they were not well trained and they don't know what is the good service. They brought the bill before we finish the meal and ask them. One lunch time, we were still eating, all the waiters were making noise to move around the tables and chairs to prepare for the big group (Armani Exchange which is owned by Christine Ong who is a owner of Parrot Cay) . So it was not acceaptable. They care for more famous people, their owners event , guest and journalists. They were oviously paying special attension to journalists. I now know why all the review on magazines and news papers were great. I will not trust and rely on them from now on.

Also we were on meal package. The food was very disappointing and just huge portion. We felt like as if we were cow. So I couldn't eat 3 course meal which includes. However I have requested mint tea instead of pudding (desert) was refused and they demand to pay extra for mint tea. I think Christine Ong is very money tight person.

Last big dissapointment was check out. The casher was charging lunch which we never eat , because we arrived on the evening. Then they charged something else for twice (USD 190 was charged twice) for no reason as a evening meal. We can't eat such a big dinner twice on same evening. There were so many mistakes on the bill and strongly recommend to check over and over. When they correct one thing, they added another thing, so after they correct, please check. The casher was very rude and never apologised for their mistakes. what they said was 'what's next? Their attitude was not welcoming and not friendly comparing to other carribean destination.

The beach was one of the most beautiful beach. The spa facility was also most amazing. Yoga and Pilates class were very good.

Most Americans stay this hotel for a few days, so they don't find many negative things. But Parrot Cay was over rated and we will never go back there. You don't get what you paid for there.

• Liked — beach front location and space
  • Disliked — bad maintenance, broken roof, safe and not clean on floor
  • Tips/Secrets — Over rated, so think twice.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Hoteljunkiebunny
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2006

My wife and I just came home from a seven night stay at the absolutely wonderful Parrot Cay resort. Most of the reviews here have been very positive,but there have been some negative ones as well. Goes to show you can't please all the people all the time. All I can say we thought the resort was wonderful in almost every way. The beach was among the best we have ever seen. I've never seen water quite so turquoise blue before. You could walk out for a quarter of a mile and the water was still only up to your waist. Simply gorgeous. The infinity pool was equally inviting and we spent time at both. For a one week stay the choice of two restaurants for dinner was more than adequate,and we found the food to be very good mostly with the occasional bit of excellence thrown in. Lunch was a weak point as the menu needs to be updated and the quality improved. $22 for turkey roll and bacon on white bread is a bit excessive. Still,overall food was very good. You MUST have dinner included in your rate. If you don't dinner will cost over $200 per meal per couple . Expensive indeed. The rooms seem to have gotten the most negative comments here. All I can say is they are simple yet comfortable. We found the terraces to be huge. And the rooms were very clean with no insect problems to report. We must have gone during low mosquito season. The mosquito netting around the canopy beds was also very cozy and romantic. Overall we were quite happy with the rooms. We were shocked that someone brought three young children to a resort like this. It is not a very suitable place for children and they were disruptive to the overall quiet and serenity of the resort. The spa here was the best spa I've ever been to. Simply incredible and not to be missed. All in all we loved Parrot Cay and will return as soon as we can. If action is what you seek go elsewhere. But if you're looking for a quiet,secluded,and peaceful time away with your special someone Parrot Cay will most certainly put a smile on your face.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — lunch
6 Thank Munchky
New york City
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2006

I cannot understand why this hotel got such rave reviews from so many guests. The privite island was wonderful and the grounds were very special. The service was great as well as the food. However, the smell of pesticides were prevelent all over the island. The only way to escapae this was to sit on the beautiful beach. The entire property was sprayed twice daily and although the hotel claimed that the spray was non toxic, how can that be? If it can kill bugs, it can injure us. The rooms were average. The lounge chairs in the rooms were unconfortable and unable to view the television from the chairs or the beds. The bathrooms were awful with mold growing on the countertops. From the Ocean View rooms, perhaps you can see about a foot of ocean through the foliage. Perhaps the experience would be different from the beachfront accomodations or larger and newly built accomodations.
We would not return.

Stayed June 2006
11 Thank Priscillamac
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2006

Also just returned from Parrot Cay. Having travelled all over the world and stayed in nice resorts from Bora Bora to Mexico and Hawaii I can say that this place was particuarly unique.

First, one must realize that the resort itself is on its own private island with its own beach that at its peak time had about 10 people on it. The length of the beach is 1/2 mile at least with multiple umbrellas and chaise lounges. There is always a friendly staff person to greet you at the beach and give you towels and fresh cold bottled water.

Second, unlike much of the carribean where indifferent service can be a problem, here the owners have flown in their best from all over the world (mostly from bali,thailand and singapore) to supplement the locals. As a result the service is very, very good. Nice and pleasant and quick.

The food package is the way to go (dinner and breakfast) so that you don't have to worry about the cost of dining. The dinner at the Lotus restaurant is outstanding if you are a fan of asian cooking.

Finally, the spa and the grounds of the resort are so relaxing and tranquil. My 8 days passed so fast without any effort. Pool and the beach, reading and relaxing with a few drinks and cigars--what more can you ask for to get away from the hustle and bustle of life. You will absolutely not find pool volleyball, party scene here.

The only cons I can think of is that the Hotel does not run its own scuba diving service so when we went diving we had to transport by boat 30 minutes back to provo then another hour boat ride to the diving site. All in all, the diving trip took an entire day (7am to 4 pm). The other con is that the rooms are nice, but your expectation should not be like a Bora Bora overwater bungalow or a Four Seasons Maui room. They are more basic than that, though nice and spacious. More colonial/plantation in design.

Trust me, if you are looking for a healthy, mellow place, with impecabble service and a wide open beach with aqua water--this is it. You will not be leaving the Cay after you arrive so be prepared to really relax and indulge!

7 Thank Grubber22
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2006

If you want peace, tranquility, and the best beaches in the Caribbean head to Parrot Cay. I visited Parrot Cay September of this year and fell in love upon arrival. My boyfriend and I were greeted at the airport by a representative of Parrot Cay who directed us into a small shuttle bus which took us to the Marina. We were then greeted by Beka who directed us to a Parrot Cay private small yacht, which took us through the bluest waters outside of Greece. It was heaven from the moment we boarded the boat.

We were then greeted by a very friendly and accommodating staff who directed us to our room. To our delight we were upgraded to a suite. It was gorgeous, roomy, clean, and large. After a long trip from New York we took showers and headed for the delicious fresh water pool where we laid out for most of the day. We then ventured off to the beach- think Corona beer commercial. The only sound heard were the lapping waves. The beach was powdery and the water was crystal clear for miles. The cushioned lounge chairs were strewn about the beach in sets with attached umbrellas. They were spaced a good distance from each other, but it was not necessary since we were there before their busy season (October) and only saw about three other couples the entire time. We practically had the entire place to ourselves. It was heaven!

However, no place is perfect… The place is pricey. A three course meal for two was about $240 – lobster and steak.. On average the bills were no less than $150 (lunch) including tip.. The worse part is that the food was not great. It was actually not good. I hate to say it because I LOVE PARROT CAY!!! But the food could have been better. Please beware that my boyfriend and I cannot tolerate bad food; we just like good food. The worst part about this setback is that you are on the island without any other choice.

I believe Parrot Cay restaurants had a health menu, which I did not try because I was not aware of it at the time, but would have enjoyed it and believe the seasoning would have been less complicated. Another bad thing about the food is that it was not fresh. I had some beef there that rivaled the dingiest Chinese restaurant in New York’s inner cities. It was fatty and low grade - could not eat it.

THE SPAS are a must and would recommend indulging in them upon arrival or mid stay because the deep tissue is supposed to be phenomenal, but not on your last day – not before traveling because of the soreness after. We had a basic couple’s massage – it was heavenly. Oh, the products used in the spa and in the rooms will leave you wanting more and may be purchased in their boutique or spas. I use mine now and am reminded of my wonderful stay.

One more drawback. The grounds are sprayed with pesticide, which leaves that unpleasant smell in the air. I would beware of visiting while expecting.

I would not let these negatives deter me from visiting Parrot Cay. It is a paradise and I did not want to leave. I hope to return but would not order any beef and will stick to simpler food such as the chicken caesar salad and chicken fingers. The chicken fingers (not McDish at all) and French fries, both with sweet and sour sauce, were yummy! Expensive, but yummy! I hope this does not prevent you from visiting because it is a gem and as you may know, good hotels are hard to find. Perfect hotels - even harder.

• Liked — setting
  • Disliked — food
  • Tips/Secrets — stick to simple dishes and bring your Amex
Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
The Tuscany
The Tuscany
#2 of 45 in Providenciales

Been to COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos? Share your experiences!