“Serene & Relaxation”

GreenLeadersSilver level
new jersey
“Serene & Relaxation”
Reviewed 6 December 2010

We loved it!!! My husband and I with our three and nine year old. I wanted to stay at Beaches, but my husband insisted on staying here where it would be quiet. Some real family time and where it would be quiet and away from people. Oh, boy was he right!!! It was great!!!! Was able to read my book while the kids played in the sand ..it was just wonderful. When we left ..at the airport I met someone who said they had a horrible time at Beaches..it was so loud and everything... Honestly, Parrot Cay was one of our best vacations besides our honeymoon in Tahiti. Yes, there were these huge bugs, but if you want to be a traveler you have to learn to see things and deal with them even if its a high end hotel. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful (even spraying our room). We loved it and so did our children!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
ParrotCay164, Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this review, 26 February 2011
Thank you and we sincerely appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Parrot Cay - Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Providenciales
Reviewed 19 November 2010

We just returned from a too-brief stay at Parrot Cay. I would have to say that the beach is even nicer than Grace Bay, due probably because there are no other hotels, and therefore, very few people. The resort reminded me of an old style plantation, with winding, natural stone walkways. No cars, just a few golf carts. At first, I thought that there were few guests on property, but at mealtimes, the 2 restaurants were quite full. I credit this to excellent design. You feel as if you have the place to yourselves.

The food was excellent and the menu changes every 3 days, according to the staff. Because it is geared towards spa services, there is always a "spa menu" (read: healthy) and a general air of quiet luxury.

But best of all, the staff was superior. They have the art of service down to a fine art. Always there if you need something, but not hovering. Friendly and warm. I would have to say that I have never encountered a staff that, without exception, was so excellent.

My only negative comment would be about the rooms. We had a garden view king. In other circumstances, I would be quite content....but this is a VERY expensive resort and I would have expected "spectacular"....But that may be the fault of my level of "expectation". The bed was verrrry comfortable...with obviously high thread count sheets.

If you are looking for a quiet getaway, on a beautiful beach, with more spa services than you could ever have time to try, with phenomenal service, this is your place!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dejs
Toronto
Reviewed 15 November 2010

My husband and I travelled here for our honeymoon. This place is out of this world. The service was unreal, we have never experience staff as attentive as this. The atmosphere was very relaxing, almost too relaxing. The food is out of this world. One of the staff members I was talking to said that the chef is from Venice, wherever he/she is from - they know what they are doing. The pool and beach are perfect.

Parrot Cay was a stunning honeymoon destination and we couldn't possibly say that there was anything less than perfect here; however, we are both outgoing people and no one at this resort really wants anything to do with anyone else. This is probably a positive for most people travelling here and also probably one of the main reasons they go here but for us, it was a little bit too quiet.

Either way, I am so happy we picked it for our honeymoon for it's romantic atmosphere, excellent service and beautiful setting.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Parrot Cay embodies what a five-star resort should be; it executes and doesn't pretend. The resort is on a secluded portion of the island with a main-house with guest-houses and more expensive bungalows closer to the beach.

Staff. Best-trained staff I've ever experienced. Attentive, friendly, knowledgable. Literally anticipate your needs before you do. Most of the staff is imported from Southeast Asia.

Food. Unreal. Choice of regular menu or healthy menu. Every dish was fresh, well-prepared and top shelf. No expense was spared here. Note: I'm lived in San Francisco for 17 years and am a evangelical foodie. I seriously challenge any SF restaurant to beat this. Seriously. 2nd Note: Who ever knew the Best turkey club ever would have been found here?

Pool/Beach. The place to go. Great bar. The infinity pool and surrounding huts are comfortable, making a fully-relaxing experience. The beach is right there so hang at the white-sand beaches. Bliss.

Extra-credit. The spa and daily pilates, yoga classes were great. Andrea really knows her yoga and was SUPER in dealing with all yoga types. Wish she taught Yoga here.

I'm probably missing some things here, but what's the point? Perfection.

My girlfriend and I will be coming back and want to visit the other Como locations, esp if PC is any reflection.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MHSquared
Scarsdale, New York
Reviewed 8 September 2010

My husband & I travel a few times a year for vacations and have been to many of the nation's and Caribbean's best resorts. Parrot Cay is by far one of the most beautiful places to be in when all you want is seclusion, pampering, and fantastic food - all in a beautiful, lush & serene setting.

Our only complaint has to do with American Airlines: when I booked our flights, it was for a nonstop direct from JFK to Provenciales, however, about a month ago, they no longer have nonstop direct so we were forced to do a stopover. And of course, they changed our flight to a much later flight which would've gotten us to Parrot Cay after 9:30 pm!!! So my travel agent changed us back to the earlier flight. And that incurred a change-of-flight charge! On a more positive note, the GM of Parrot Cay - Grant - told us that JetBlue may provide nonstop direct flights very soon. Yay for JetBlue, BOO for AA!

Back to wonderful Parrot Cay - there are 2 restaurants there that you can eat at - Lotus Restaurant and Terrace Restaurant. However, you can also order food from the Como Shambala menu (lower in fat, sodium & healthier foods) and the room service menu, and the selections are HUGE! You won't run out of varieties - and the food is top notch no matter what you order.

Rooms are very clean and roomy although not "plush" but it's very comfotable - loaded with enough amenities.

The Como Shambala spa is wonderful and serene, and the therapists are top-notch. I can only say good things about this place. Overall, a really great place to go to, however, make sure you're keeping tabs on your food & beverage orders if you're not on any packages. We'll definitely go back for another vacation!

Thank you to all the friendly staff (Nolie - the hotel mgr; the front office staff whom we've met; Fadzil at the Spa; Eka(recreation, & the best Ginger Mojito mixer!), Azmie (bar), Don & Yoga at the restaurants - you guys are the best!! And of course, Grant - the GM - thanks for a job well done! We'll hopefully see you all very soon.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MMSilverman
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 18 August 2010

We booked a last minute week long trip to Parrot Cay after carefully considering our other options of upscale hotels in the Carribean. The reason I wanted to write this review is we were inititally concerned by some of the slightly negative comments that had been posted here, and hesitated in booking, but we were aboslutely blown away by our experience and would happily recommend Parrot Cay to anyone who enjoys peace and quiet in a well maintained beautiful setting with extremely attentive staff.

What we loved:
1) When we arrived, we were taken from the airport by van and tranported to the dock, where we boarded a boat for the 30 minute trip to Parrot Cay. They have a lovely building that serves as a waiting room while the staff moved our luggage and got the boat (a very nicely maintained vessel) set up to go. We were served a cold drink and damp scented towels, and it was a lovely preview of what was to come - a cool, calming white and wicker styled room to relax in.
2) Check in was done while seated in a lounge, with a complimentary beverage. It was extremely smooth and well done, and quick.
3) The food was excellent. We both are very demanding about our food in terms of high expectations and were not disappointed by anything we ate. The use of Asian ingredients mixed with the Carribean flair tasted like vacation... not something we would eat at home, and enough variety to keep us with plenty of choices on the menu.
4) Our room was well appointed - loved the big fluffy white duvet, the abundant high quality towels, the big white wall to wall day bed to relax on, and turndown service was lovely.
5) Speaking of turndown service, it seemed that the staff all spoke to one another. We rarely saw housekeeping, and I think there was communication between the restaurant staff and the housekeeping staff on when the best time to service our room was based on when we were eating our meals.
6) The quiet. This is not a place for people looking to make friends, or have something to do at night. The staff all speaks quietly and gently, and dinner is pretty much the main event of the day - but you stick with who you came with.
7) The beach was lovely - perfect for long walks. Well staffed in terms of being able to get attention when you needed a drink or a towel.
8) The infiity pool overlooked the beach and it was also terrific. The deck chairs all were covered in white towels and the staff was always on hand to get you a drink or an extra towel, not that you ever really went wanting.
9) While sitting around the pool, they offer cool damp scented towels and mango popsicles (no charge) to enjoy.
10) In the interest of not overusing plastic water bottles, you are given a Nalgene bottle for your use while at Parrot Cay, and there are filling stations in convenient locations. It was nice not having to spend money on water (although they do the "still or sparkling" routine at dinner, for a hefty price, when you can just ask for a carafe of the filtered drinking water for free)
11) The spa was outstanding. We spent a lot of time up there and enjoyed every moment - it is pricey though.
12) The yoga classes were a wonderful way to break up a day on the beach/by the pool and very relaxing and informative.
13) Breakfast - a partial buffet and then a la carte. It was AMAZING, and I really despise generic hotel buffets. Everything from fresh avocado slices to greek yogurt cups with beautiful berries - it was healthy and focused and so beautifully maintained. No soggy scrambled eggs - the buffet is totally cold, and you order hot entrees.

What we didn't love, or might cause someone else pause:
1) We went with the full board option, so we had already prepaid for our meals. It was a great choice for us, so we left happy, but be aware: you will not get out of lunch for less than $100. Never mind dinnner... $200+ with wine for two. Be prepared for that, or pick the full board option.
2) The full board option did not include beverages of any kind. A diet coke was $5, which was a small tumbler, filled with ice, leaving very little room for soda. Again, be prepared to spend. Same with cocktails. A glass of wine was $18, if I remember correctly.
3) We were there for a week so we were able to enjoy both restaurants. However, the first three nights we were there, the Mediterranean restaurant was not open. There were quite a few guests that were just there for a long weekend, and I would have been very disappointed at having to eat at Lotus three nights in a row. Please don't misunderstand - both restaurants are outstanding and very enjoyable and they switch up the menus - but really, at these prices for staying at PC, both should be open, or at least they should alternate evenings.
4) Service was a bit spotty here and there. It seemed to be mostly when they were hit with a bunch of guests at once in the restuarant, or the restaurant was rather empty and the staff was losing focus. This was not an issue so much in Lotus as it was in the Terrace Restaurant.
5) Our room was NOT a villa. If you pick a garden view room, you will have people above you in ocean view rooms. Our upstairs neighbors for a few nights were a bit noisy, which was not PC's fault, but theirs. I loved our room, with its balcony and spaciousness, but we compared it to our honeymoon (we stayed at the Four Seasons in the Seychelles), and the rooms won't blow you out of the water. I realize for an additional cost you can get the amazing villas - I'm just pointing out the entry level rooms are comfortable, and restful and relaxing but fairly basic. Well maintained for what they are, with lovely attention to the small details but by no means a "wow." When I think wows, I think outdoor showers, and private plunge pools and expansive bathrooms. No on all counts.

In summary, please don't let these negative ratings get in the way of booking a trip to Parrot Cay. Be prepared to spend, both on your room and on F&B, but I would say it's money well spent (think of the expensive drinks as "rent" for sitting in such a beautiful setting), and you will leave SO relaxed. My husband and I were literally lulled into a meditative state by the time our 7 days were done... they have that formula of relaxation down perfectly.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank alisong2379
new york
Reviewed 18 July 2010

The resort has some of the best service i have encountered in the caribbean with meals arriving quickly, great beach/pool service, and bar. The beach is beautiful and secluded with clear blue water. The food was included on the summer package but i can see it can pricey if you pay a la carte and have some drinks. Overall the food was excellent and i thought many choices for lunch. The dinner menus included a spa option- i would agree if you spent a week the choices might get tiring- the dinner choices did not seem to have much local flavors, the arrival was very easy and well organized- met at airport and driven to dock where boat was waiting, you do need to wait for everyone to get off the plane and get through customs before you leave which can add a little time, the spa was great with many options and wonderful staff, the rooms were ok and the standard rooms were not on the beach but did have some ocean views and about 5 minute walk to the beach- the rooms were clean but definitely seemed dated, and a little small- they could use an updating but were perfectly adequate. Overall the resort is on a beautfiul secluded beach with great service, food and wonderful staff, just don't expect too much from the room.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
The Regent Grand
The Regent Grand
#8 of 45 in Providenciales

Been to COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos? Share your experiences!