“A gorgeous place with a few wrinkles”

COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Parrot Cay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 March 2011

I came to Parrot Cay with my four dearest friends in the world - college friends who are family. We haven't been together on a trip of this length without husbands/kids in over 25 years but decided on a splurge trip to celebrate one of these amazing women's successful fight against breast cancer. Needless to say, it was an emotional, important trip for all of us and we searched for months and months to find the perfect place to bring us all together. It turns out Parrot Cay was - and wasn't - what we were looking for.

First, the many positives. The resort is a gorgeous property situated on an island about 35 minutes by boat from Provo. The buildings sprawl on a hillside overlooking a powder-sand beach that stretches for about two miles, dotted with great seashells, sea biscuits and coral. Above the beach is a lovely infinity pool lined with graceful palm trees that were ringed with lights at night. Our connecting rooms had plush linens, mosquito netting and spacious balconies with sea views in the distance. I'm fairly certain we were upgraded, one of the many kindnesses the hotel showed us. We had fresh fruit and bottles of champagne waiting for us when we arrived.

The spa on the grounds of the resort was pure heaven, overlooking the water in the distance. There were several different jacuzzis, as well as a second pool, and all of the treatment rooms I saw had water views. I could go on and on about how they nailed every detail to perfection: The expert staff welcomed you with warm, caring smiles from the moment you walked in the door. Our group tried the Indonesian head massage, hot oil treatment, sea wrap massage, reflexology and my personal favorite, the Indonesian hot stone massage (90 minutes of bliss, in a standalone cottage).

We also enjoyed wonderful yoga classes with an extremely talented instructor, morning beach Pilates and a snorkeling trip with two staffers who could not have been sweeter. There were a million stars in the sky at night.

I guess where Parrot Cay fell a little short was in the service. For the extreme nosebleed prices you pay, you really should be rewarded with impeccable service. The staff was mostly lovely and kind, but every night at dinner we would wait - and wait - after being seated for someone to come by to take our order or even bring by some water. A five-star resort should be falling all over itself to make sure its guests have everything they need. Instead, we had to go looking for it. At one point, we went up to the poolside bar from the beach to see if we could get some snacks, around 5ish. Nope. Bar snacks stopped at 4 p.m. Really? One of my friends found the service downright poor.

The other odd thing is the dinner menus. Breakfast was lovely and served at the main house, and lunch at the pool restaurant was delicious (do not miss the cracked conch). There was also a spa "light" menu and a long list of tasty health drinks/smoothies. And many of the dinner entrees were delicious. But the dinner menus also served up some strange offerings, like venison and a lobster egg white frittata that was just bizarre and looked like something I could have thrown together. We asked if they would bring out some cracked conch for us at dinner one night, but of course the answer was no.

The only other point to make here is on the topic of the rum drinks. There is something sacred about the rum drink on a Caribbean trip. You think about it as your alarm goes off at 5 am for that early conference call. You think of it as you are running for the train and it's raining, and your gym bag is slapping against your leg. And you assume when you go to a Caribbean island that you can get a decent one. But Parrot Cay actually had no good rum on the entire property the last two days we were there. I've traveled to resorts in places like St. Barth's, St. John, Tortola, Barbados and they all had bottles and bottles of premium rums lined up that you could pour into a Plantar's Punch or that your husband could sip with a fine cigar after dinner. There was one lame light rum, and the drinks were so weak I wasn't even sure there was any in them. (At a price of over $19 with tip and tax. Ka-ching.)

So would I recommend it? If money is no object, Parrot Cay is a solid bet. If spa and snorkeling are your thing, you cannot go wrong. If you like a good rum drink, you'll definitely get a good one at the airport on the way home.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank M7C9
ParrotCay164, Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2011

Thank you for your feedback. We have set our standard high to ensure that our guest have a memorable holiday and learning from our guest comments will help us to ensure customer's satisfaction. Your honest comment indeed will assist us to better serves our guests in future.

Reviewed 28 February 2011

I have to say I was concerned about the cost of Parrot Cay and the additional food, spa and entertainment cost for the vacation. However, they delivered such outstanding service, food quality and experiences that it was so worth it. I read the other guests reviews and I have to agree. We went there on our 'babymoon' and enjoyed every bit of it. I had a pre-natal massage which was excellent and we also booked an excursion to Iguana island, Sand dollar beach and snorkeling which was so much fun. We were the only two on the excursion so we were able to be pampered but they only allow 6 guests so I think either way it is a must. The staff was amazing and extremely accommodating.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Parrot Cay.

Reviewed 21 February 2011

My husband and I spent 7 unbelievable days at Parrot Cay. From the moment we stepped off the plane, we were treated as if we were celebrities.
A shuttle takes you from the airport to the Parrot Cay mainland boat launch area. There you are immediately given scented wet towels, bottles of water and an ice cold beer. The boat ride to the island takes about 30 min. You are met by friendly staff who take you to the hotel via a golf cart. Check in, is a breeze.. we had a garden view, (room # 516), which has an ocean view as it is on the second floor... Food is incredible, portion sizes are huge, so share your main courses. Not much to do on the island, other than chill, read a book, swim (ocean and pool) and work out. We participated in pilates and yoga classes as well as took a private TRX class. I would recommend Parrot Cay as a paradise destination. While it is expensive, it is well worth the money.

If you are a diver, I would recommend you not use the dive shop that Parrot Cay has a relationship with. They are not the best. You can find alternate dive shops on the island.

other than that I have no negative feedback at all

Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
ParrotCay164, Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2011

Thank you and we sincerely appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Parrot Cay.

Reviewed 5 February 2011

We just returned from 4 nights at PC . We had read many of the reviews on Trip Advisor - and have to agree with the most common themes.

Pros
- Gorgeous Beach.. The color and clarity of the sea, the softness of the sand is wonderful .
- Beautiful resort and spa - I loved the aesthetics and design. I loved all the white and light woods . I loved the sights and scents , particularly at the spa!
- Great Service. -The entire staff was very nice, always accommodating, willing to go beyond . if i asked how to get somewhere, they would take me there themselves. Housekeeping staff did a great job keeping the rooms clean and inviting. The staff at the pool and beach were always there to get you what you need.
- The infinity pool was gorgeous .. At first it looks like a fountain .. its quite an experience to walk right into it ...and its beautiful to look at it and see the ppol and ocean at the same time.
- The Spa treatments were terrific. My companion said that his Shambala massage was one of the best he has ever had. my treatments were fabulous
- i loved the room. We had an ocean facing room in block 8. I liked the whole feel of the room . I liked the colors and the room had everything we needed. It is a not a very fancy room - which is fine by me, since , in general, i prefer casual feel at the beach.
- We enjoyed the food. The breakfast buffet is great, including fresh fruit, breads, cereals, and smoked salmon . I could have skipped all the hot food, since there was so much to eat at the buffet. . I especially enjoyed some of the dishes at LOTUS and on the Shambala menu.
- We enjoyed all the places that are set up to enable you to sit close to your loved one.. There are many tables at the LOTUS restaurant where you can just sit next to each other on the couch and watch the restaurant, and look out onto the pool, .. That was a nice touch...
- They had a pretty good set of movie DVDs to watch in our room or at the library.

CONS -
- The prices are incredibly high for food and beverage. We were glad that we were on a package ( 3 courses for both lunch and dinner) . We would have been happy to trade in a course or two for a beverage, since we did not each need our own appetizers and desserts.
- We tend to like to mingle a bit on vacation and meet new friends. This is not really the place for that. - People tended to stick to themselves more here than other places we have been.
- It does get a bit buggy at night. I was concerned about that upon reading the other reviews on this site . They did have bug spray in the rooms, which we used before going to dinner - but we did manage to get some bites each night at the restaurant. I was glad that they had mosquito netting in the rooms.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tc_travel_talk

Thank you and we sincerely appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Parrot Cay - Hotel Manager

Reviewed 27 January 2011

My husband and I just spent three wonderful nights at Parrot Cay. The room was beautiful, the beach stunning, the food delicious, and the spa divine.

It was the perfect vacation to relax and reconnect. On our third night we vowed to return every year!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank perufor40th
ParrotCay164, Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2011

Thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to Parrot Cay!

Reviewed 26 January 2011

We spent a week at parrot cay and left feeling totally 'de-stressed' and chilled out. Yes, there are a few things we felt could do with changing but without doubt this is the place to go for complete re-charging of your batteries!
First-the things we'd change: the lobby and terrace restaurant could definitely do with a face-lift. To be honest, when we arrived our first impression was that the lobby was more like a '3 star' Spanish hotel than the 5 star resort we had booked- it's sparse and a bit grubby round the edges, with dated floor tiles and wall paint. That said - our transfer from the airport and actual check-in was smooth, welcoming and hassle-free -all the staff in
parrot cay are extremely helpful and friendly- without doubt they're 5star all the way. The terrace restaurant that's attached to the main building also somehow has the air of a nice
B&B - very clean etc but again could do with modernising.
Next- the garden view room we'd booked seemed a bit sparse and lacking any special ambience we would expect from such a luxury resort. Yes, they very thoughtfully had a
welcome bottle of chilled champagne for us with a plate of fresh fruit that was replenished
daily. And yes, our room actually had ample closet space, flat screen tv and DVD (with well
stocked free library of DVDs to avail of in reception) and all the other bit and bobs you'd
expect. But it still somehow managed to fall just a bit short of feeling in any way 5star or
luxury - again, I think they need to bring it up to 2011 expectations - it just doesn't match up to it's 5star competitors in Asia or places like the One & Only le Touserok in Mauritius for example.
Those gripes aside - we loved every second of our blissful week in the resort. The laid-back (yet always efficient) atmosphere is infectious. The beach is absolutely stunning - we often felt we were completely alone as we strolled along drinking in the stunning blues of the
water and the amazing horizon where the surf broke over the reef. Service is faultless and
contrary to other reviewers we actually found the food to be lovely - I especially loved the
spa (healthy option) menu. Would love to see a daily chef special tho, as the same evening
menu gets a bit monotonous. Also a bit surprised not to see more locally caught fish on
offer.
The Spa was superb. We also pre-booked some private pilate sessions as we were raw beginners. .These were great - Lynda was excellent- patient,attentive and very informative. She even found some trainers she would recommend for us back home - we've already organized sessions - fitness here we come!!!
Be warned - you can end up with a hefty bill at the end of your stay- food, drinks,spa treatments - anything extra- are all VERY expensive. Though there's only a 5 dollar charge for room service - we had a lovely 3 course meal on our balcony one eve - they actually delivered each course seperately so that we could completely relax and enjoy the candlelit peace - a lovely thoughtful touch.

So - if you want to totally unwind and chill out on one of the most stunning beaches, with flawless service and as much privacy as you could want, parrot cay is the place. Yes it could do with a freshening-up in places, but, if and when this happens, I really hope they keep the beautiful 'barefoot in the sand' feel that makes this resort a real piece of heaven.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dakina

Reviewed 9 January 2011

My husband and I have been to Parrot Cay five times now. We always return for the wonderful service, amazing food, exquisite beach and pool area -- and of course, the state-of-the art spa.
I wanted to reach out to other people who have been a few times and are familiar with the lay-out. We are going back in a few months with friends who have never been, and we want to ensure that we reserve the rooms with the best ocean views (since the foliage has grown up quite a bit over the last several years).
Does anyone recall if the rooms in building 8 offer the best view?
Thanks and happy traveling!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

#6 of 44 in Providenciales
The Tuscany
The Tuscany
#2 of 44 in Providenciales

Been to COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos? Share your experiences!