We stayed here for one night as part of a tour group. The hotel is quite isolated and a good half hour walk to a fish and chip restaurant in the nearby village. A great welcome at reception and once checked in we were shown to our chalet, one of the closer ones to the reception block. The chalet was set on stilts looking out into the tree canopy with all its indigenous plants conserved as they had been growing for years. We just stood there looking out of the French doors saying "Wow".
The room was large with a comfortable lounge area and 2 large beds. There was a ceiling fan for cooling. We found nowhere to put the suitcases on other than the floor and there was only a reading lamp for one bed.
The bathroom contained a bath and washbasin and had glass walled shower and toilet cubicles at one side. The wash basin was one of those shallow boutique affairs that was too shallow for a proper wash.
WE had looked at the restaurant and bar menus before we arrived. The restaurant served the usual Grande Mercure "foodie" menu - too complicated and expensive for us. The bar served a limited and unappealing number of items that were really nibbles rather than snacks. Fortunately we had eaten a good lunch and just had coffee and biscuits in the room.
The next morning, having been woken early by rain pounding on the tin roof of the chalet, we put on our raincoats for breakfast in the main building. The breakfast buffet was very good.
On departure the reception staff came onto the coach to say farewell and thanks for our visit.
This hotel was truly an experience we will remember for a long time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort is located at Pauanui Beach on the Coromandel Peninsula, 2 hours drive south east of Auckland. This luxurious, secluded hideaway features 48 chalets set in 10 hectares of native bushland, an award winning restaurant, guest lounge and sun decks with views overlooking Pauanui and the Pacific Ocean. Facilities include a tennis court, swimming pool and the nearby beach has 3km of golden sand and renowned for surfing. There are many bush tracks to explore and array of activities in the Coromandel region. A ferry service operates to nearby Tairua, home to cafes and art galleries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Accorhotels.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Mercure Puka Park Hotel Pauanui
- Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort Pauanui, Coromandel Peninsula, New Zealand