We saw an incredibly cheap rate for this lovely resort on Wotif and stayed there for 3 nights in a Tawa chalet which had a king bed, plenty of space and an ultra modern refurbished bathroom.. The tree top chalets are private, secluded and have a lovely deck for relaxing with a wine late in the day. It's a steep walk up to the units and no adjacent carparks, so elderly or infirm people may have problems with that.
The normal room rates are quite expensive so we were surprised there were no bedside lights, nor adjacent switch for turning off the ceiling light. However a phone call to reception resulted in a helpful staff member finding a bedside light for us.
The restaurant food was great, and our Advantage plus card meant we got good value. Dinner prices without this discount would be expensive however. The breakfast buffet and hot dishes were great and sitting outside on the large restaurant deck in the morning sun having breakfast was a very pleasant experience.. We would particularly recommend the lunch menu. This was inexpensive, high quality food and the daytime views at lunchtime are lovely.
The Pauanui area is special. Great beach and coastal scenery and nice walks. You need a car here and we would particularly recommend a day trip north to Hahei, Hot water beach, Cathedral cove, Whitianga ( plenty of shops , cafes and a supermarket here), and on to Coromandel town. Come back on the unsealed route 390 and stop at the waterfall and Kauri forest glen.This is a 300km circuit and on a nice day the scenery is spectacular.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort is located at Pauanui Beach on the Coromandel Peninsula, 2 hours drive south east of Auckland. This luxurious, secluded hideaway features 48 chalets set in 10 hectares of native bushland, an award winning restaurant, guest lounge and sun decks with views overlooking Pauanui and the Pacific Ocean. Facilities include a tennis court, swimming pool and the nearby beach has 3km of golden sand and renowned for surfing. There are many bush tracks to explore and array of activities in the Coromandel region. A ferry service operates to nearby Tairua, home to cafes and art galleries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, ACCOR, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Mercure Puka Park Hotel Pauanui
- Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort Pauanui, Coromandel Peninsula, New Zealand