Absolutely wonderful. I had read some of the older reviews about the place needing some work, or snooty staff and I experienced NONE of that - they hotel had obviously taken their feedback seriously and made some big changes.
My friend and I were having a weekend away, and stayed in chalet 6 Tawa treetop room. The fully tiled bathroom, with underfloor heating and dual rain/hand shower was immaculately clean and was elegant. I also enjoyed the 'kauri' bathroom products. The room was stylishly decorated, everything was in good working condition and was also clean and tidy. There was a fridge, complimentary tea and coffee including a selection of herbal teas.
When we arrived there were a number of couples just ahead of us. Despite our protests that we could manage to get our bags up the hill to our room ourselves the staff member doing the buggy runs up the hill insisted on coming back to help us, in a way that made us feel important and no trouble all at the same time. I think this was Jocelyn? She was warm and welcoming, while also being very professional. The lady at the check in counter was also helpful, directing us to additional information such as the tide times and availability of spades for digging at hot water beach, or advising us of alternative things to do in the area. She also confirmed a reservation for dinner that evening at Miha, which is not to be missed. The food was excellent and reasonably priced for a hotel restaurant. Again the staff in the restaurant were courteous and professional.
There was a fire burning in the hotel lounge and the rugby on the tv, but not so loud that it disturbed us dining.
The pool was warm enough to swim in, in May which I thought was great, the spa could have done with being a degree or more warmer - but I did stay in an hour gazing at the stars and listening to Ruru (Morepork), so it can't have been THAT cold. The hotel provided pool towels, which was great as we hadn't thought to bring any, and again when requested them the staff were friendly and professional.
It was an easy walk to the beach, 7 minutes at most, where there are bush walks up Mt Pauanui - the summit is not for the faint hearted but the view at the top was spectacular.
Yes, there are still a few pot holes in the driveway, and a few loose pieces of wood on our rooms deck fence - I noticed as I have small children at home, my friend did not - but they have obviously made some inroads into their improvements and it showed. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and would struggle to think of anything that needed work on. Charming place and people, would go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort is located at Pauanui Beach on the Coromandel Peninsula, 2 hours drive south east of Auckland. This luxurious, secluded hideaway features 48 chalets set in 10 hectares of native bushland, an award winning restaurant, guest lounge and sun decks with views overlooking Pauanui and the Pacific Ocean. Facilities include a tennis court, swimming pool and the nearby beach has 3km of golden sand and renowned for surfing. There are many bush tracks to explore and array of activities in the Coromandel region. A ferry service operates to nearby Tairua, home to cafes and art galleries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, ACCOR, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Agoda, TravelUp, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Mercure Puka Park Hotel Pauanui
- Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort Pauanui, Coromandel Peninsula, New Zealand