“Most recommended”
Review of Black Fern Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Te Kuiti
Black Fern Lodge
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Great spot, beautiful setting. Hosts very helpfull. Be aware it's 6 km off the timber trail so prepare yourselves for that. They offer a shuttle to get back on the trail the following day which is the best $15 you will ever spend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TEBNZ

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I agree with recent reviews these people should not be in hospitality industry!! we stayed recently the 6 km from timber trail was a bit unexpected, our fault for not knowing I guess. Initially the hosts were friendly but this turned !! We were asked to pack out of our rooms by 8.30 the next day we were then made most unwelcome with numerous complaints about the mess we had made! Incidentally no cleaning materials were available. This was unjustified and for a made a very unpleasant departure from such an idyllic spot. As we were leaving and rooms were being made up I noted no changes in linen?? Maybe they went back after they made up the beds???

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank kscsep
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The owner & people running the place are rude, curt & generally unpleasant. All 8 of us that stayed there were surprised such people are in the hospitality business. Also, be aware, the accommodation is several relatively hard kilometers from the Timber Trail, so plan that in when arriving & leaving from the Timber Trail (& for that matter when driving to the lodge via road).

The actual accommodation is good, the setting beautiful.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank mguizz
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I have been trying to make contact with these people for ages. They do not respond to emails or phone messages. When I finally did manage to raise someone on the phone I got the distinct impression that they do not know how to run a hospitality business.
Basil Fawlty without the rudeness.
It is a shame because it looks like a great place. However, I may never get there

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maximilliankat
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I arrived without a booking whilst doing a cycling tour having been given bad information in my guide book. The Blackfern trail is an appallingly steep track and more like 8k than the 6 advertised. It's also littered with obstacles.
The owner insulted and swore at me for 10 minutes before he calmed down enough to direct me to a nonexistent domain camp probably just to get rid of me. A simple "sorry we're full" would have been enough. He was the mist unfriendly kiwi I've met by a long way.

I'd take the 30k detour back to Piropiro flats campsite over trying to get back on the timber trail via blackfern trail any day, it really is that awful. The timber trail is brilliant though.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank the_night_rider_2014
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed two nights in the Forge with a party of 5 - fantastic and charming place to stay - quirky possibly sums it up. We had two private rooms for our party - there was another private room that another couple was using, and there were also bunks in the main kitchen/lounge and also in the room that had the shared bathrooms - I felt a bit sorry for the people sleeping in the lounge when we got up super early for breakfast so we could have an early start on the trail! We really enjoyed staying here - the accommodation was fun, the area is beautiful, and the timber trail was fantastic. My only two caveats -
- over the Christmas holiday they were clearly busier than they were used to, and some of the administrative details were falling through the cracks a bit - while they organised everything promised (hire bikes and shuttles), it was was hard getting both confirmation and the details, and the arrangements weren't flexible. I'm sure this will get better as they get used to the popularity of the trail.
- the track from the timber trail to the lodge was much harder work than I expected - and everyone else staying at the same time as us said that too - it was just under 7km, but included a significant hill. It mightn't have been so bad it I had been expecting it, but I had thought it was all going to be down hill .... also the Timber Trail has very regular marker posts which had spoiled me a bit, but I hated not knowing how far I had to go.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TassKM
Reviewed 5 December 2013

See my review of the Timber Trail on this site. Situated at the end of Ongarue Stream Road this cute Lodge is now perfectly situated to pander to the riders and walkers of the Timber Trail. It is approx. 8km off the timber trail (bike or walk) situated beside the Ongarue Stream and surrounded by the best of King Country bush and remnants of the timber industry of days long gone. The Lodge provides very good value at approx. $100/night for a gr8 dinner, soft cosy bed and a hearty breakfast. Beer $5 a bottle (very good considering the distance from a supply) wine well priced and best of all the hot shower after what can be a very muddy, wet ride from Pureora.
Some suggestions for little improvements to help the tied biker: A drying room. Somewhere to hang clothing in the room. A shelter and wash down hose for bikes and a wee bit more pressure at the shower. The Forge is about 700m down stream from the Lodge. I only had a peep inside and it looked great. A planning tip: Drive to the Lodge. Arrange for the owners to shuttle you back to the trail head at Pureora (about 30min). Ride the first half of the tail back to the lodge (about 49 km). Ride the second half to Ongarue the next day and the Lodge will collect you and take you back to your vehicle (about 30min). The Lodge itself is really cosy. You can take your own liquid supplies so long as you take the empties home with you. The hosts are a great couple and I wish them well. I would like to go back even for the w/e just to chill out in a beautiful environment.

Room Tip: The fitness centre is the Timber Trail. Beats any city centre. Use the Lodge as your base for rides...