“Great hostel and one I'd stay in again”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Turangi
Riverstone Backpackers
Melbourne, Australia
“Great hostel and one I'd stay in again”
Reviewed 4 March 2009

Riverstone is run by Rob, a very cool guy who has a great knowledge of the area and the various activities and amenities available come rain or shine. He can book you onto the Tongariro crossing and his ability to accurately gauge the weather is uncanny!
The rooms are all very well kept, bedding is provided and you can hire towels if you wish. There's a laundry and internet, book exchange and DVDs to keep you amused should the weather turn. The outside decking and patio area is plush with beanbags and hammocks making it the perfect place to chill out with a few mates after your activities.
I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Portland, OR
Reviewed 27 February 2008

My husband and I stayed at Riverstone Backpackers for one night. The actual house was beautiful. We were there in Oct. If it had been warmer out, I'm sure our stay would've been much more enjoyable. The kitchen is beautiful, and the resident puppy, Mugwai, is a very friendly wheaten terrier. However, our ensuite room was freezing. There was a space heater, but it did absolutely nothing. I didn't get much sleep that night. We were planning on doing the Tongariro crossing, but conditions were bad, so we changed our plans and left after one night. Because I was so cold, I got sick with a cough that persisted for over a week. It pretty much ruined the wine tasting we did in Hastings, as I felt like crap.

• Liked — nice kitchen, puppy.
  • Disliked — FREEZING, and it caused me to get SICK!
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turangi
Chateau Tongariro Hotel
Lazy Dog Backpackers
Lazy Dog Backpackers
#8 of 17 in Turangi
Asure Parklands Motor Lodge

Been to Riverstone Backpackers? Share your experiences!