All reviews fly fishing the river wine list fishing guide bedroom villa lockwood style new zealand trout three bedroom beautiful grounds great weekend open fire a great place to stay three nights full kitchen self catering lodge
Reviewed 26 March 2013

What a fabulous lodge in beautiful Turangi, just south of the stunning Lake Taupo. The outlook here is world class with a wonderfully established tree laden property, which we visited in early autumn. Our chalet was in perfect condition, and the bed was huge, comfortable and warm. We had champagne to share but no ice, this was no concern for the friendly bar staff who gave us a champagne bucket with ice and champagne glasses for our room, and refilled with ice on request which was awesome. We booked in to the restaurant for dinner, viewed the wine list and selected a local Champagne just to try something new. As it turned out that was quite a popular bottle and none were available, but the manager offered us the French Blanc de Blanc (at twice the price) for no extra charge which was a wonderful surprise. Our starter was delicious (Salmon), and our mains of Snapper wrapped in Proschetto and Crispy Skin Mount Cook Salmon were superb.
We then struck up a conversation with the Lodge Manager who upon hearing we were staying here for our honeymoon then also provided the both of us complimentary glasses of 25 year old Port to finish our evening.
All in all our stay at the Tongariro Lodge has been outstanding, from the accommodation and the sensational food to the exceptionally friendly service, we couldn't offer a higher recommendation.

Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Graeme1964, General Manager at Tongariro Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2013

Thank you for your welcomed feedback and I am so glad you had an enjoyable stay here at the Tongariro Lodge and we were of course honoured, that you chose to honeymoon with us here.
It certainly is a stunning and very beautiful location and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2013

Tongariro is perhaps the easiest to get to fishing lodge on the north island with a bevy of knowledgeable guides, rustic, quaint and clean accommodations with very good food and excellent service. This lodge is also an excellent conference and wedding destination.

Room tip: The lower the number room the closer you are to the lodge itself. All the cottages are virtually identical.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Graeme1964, General Manager at Tongariro Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Thanks Ted for your feedback - reviews from experienced travellers and fishermen such as yourself carry significant credability and I am delighted that you enjoyed your time here at the Lodge. With arguably the very best guides on the Tongariro, headed up by our Head Guide Tim McCarthy, you are always assured of an exceptional fishing experience and in talking to you during your stay, I am aware that the 4 days you fished were great fishing days.
Ted, I certainly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back here again very soon. Tight lines!

Reviewed 3 March 2013

We were most impressed by the friendly reception at the lodge. Our room was quite small, but perfectly adequate for us. The grounds of the lodge are really lovely.The food at dinner was really good and the breakfast buffet was really enjoyable. The bed was very comfortable and we had a nice, relaxing stay.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hey thanks for this feedback. It certainly is a wonderful place and I never tire of reading feedback like this. Make sure you come back and join us again soon.

Reviewed 3 March 2013

A friend and I recently spent 4 nights at Tongariro Lodge. The lady on the front desk was very friendly and efficient, as were all of the staff we encountered. The room was small, and very hot. An airconditioner is really necessary for rooms facing west, with afternoon sun blazing in. At the very least I would have expected a fan. It was clean and the facilities quite good. The lack of a fridge is a big drawback, and I would expect to have one in a place like this. Ice was available from the lodge, and cold drinks, but I need to have cold water available at all times, and want to have somewhere to put fruit.
We had dinner at the lodge each night, and every meal was excellent. The service on one night was a bit slow, but the staff apologised profusely, and did not charge for the cheese we had been waiting for.
The grounds are lovely, right by the Tongariro river, and very well kept. It was a peaceful and beautiful spot, with numerous things to do in the area, even if one does not fish.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Graeme1964, General Manager at Tongariro Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2013

Thank you for your review of the Tongariro Lodge and the constructiive feedback you porovided us with. It was helpful.
We are experiencing a hotter (and longer) Summer than is normal so can understand your comments regarding air-conditioning. For the benefit of readers, there are air-conditioned Villas available and fans are also freely available from reception. A fridge is also available if required. Just let us know at the time of booking. In your case, I apologise that we were remiss in advising you of this during your stay.
We are glad you enjoyed your time here and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 2 March 2013

I've never been to New Zealand before, but I've travelled everywhere else and stayed in a LOT of resorts and five star hotels. I must say I've never 1) slept so well as I have at Tongariro Lodge or 2) had better steak ANYWHERE in the world than here.

Having had out reservation lost by an online booking company, Graeme Smith at Tongariro Lodge was terrific at sorting us out with their remaining chalet - and I am so glad he did. It was blissful - reminded me of Deetjuns in Big Sur - basic, with just enough frills.

You don't come to a fishing resort for chintz and taffeta: you come for the air, the natural beauty and the sheer goodness of the place, the people and the food. You certainly get that here. Richard Atkinson is a wonderful chef: do not miss dinner. Meri, our waitress, was brilliant, great sense of humour and incredibly gracious.

If you love good things, love birdsong in the morning, love fresh air, love quiet and love beautiful big trees and plants, you'll love it here. And I don't even fish! (Although I may now that I've come to Tongariro Lodge.)

If you stay ANYWHERE ELSE, you're really making a mistake.

Room tip: Chalets are basic but terrific if you want a room that isn't full of gizmos. Next time, I'd love to try the villas.
Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your feedback Karen . As we discussed in the carpark prior to your departure, we are very proud of our Lodge and the comments you make are very fair and very true of a property like ours.
Our unspoiled surroundings are indeed peaceful and it is the perfect spot to kick back and relax - even if you are not a fisherman - and yes, the food is fantastic!!
I hope you guys enjoyed the Hawkes Bay and that your return home was a safe one. We look forward to welcomiong you back again some day soon.