“Good value”

A Plus Backpackers Lodge
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“Good value”
Reviewed 4 June 2013

A plus is basic accommodation with personality. We arrived late at night, communal lounge was warm and tv and games available. The rooms are very basic and in need of a little maintenance but for the price we we satisfied with the value. The showers were fantastic, warm and good water pressure. I did wake up with a sore back from the bed but it was comfy and warm enough, no electric blanket though so bring a hot water bottle in colder weather.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Angry_Angel65

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stayed here with a group of 9 of us for two nights. The hosts were very welcoming, and we felt at home as everyone, including the hosts sat around the lounge in the evenings and played board games or watched movies. It was the cheapest one we found, and we loved it! They gave us great advice, including taking your own car up to the Tongariro crossing carpark instead of taking the expensive shuttle, which worked out really well as we got a carpark all right (make sure you get there before 7.30am) and didn't have to worry about any deadline. Would definitely stay here again :)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Steph551
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I stayed in A+ in a tent for my first night, unbelivable big, grassy garden for tents, which is not like the other backpacker with rocky, uneven ground for tent sites in order to make money.
I went to the tongariro northern circuit the next day with other backpackers in the hostel. The hosts keen on helping to match people for the same route, so people get closer in the hostel instead of playing mobile phone or on internet or the time..
After three hard days without shower and freezing cold in the great walk, I've been suggested to stay in a room, which was nice after camping and tramping for 3 days.
Here is the considerable part, the host offer me a room with a double bed in it, while I just have to pay a dorm price. It is very luxury as a poor backpacker.
The lodge have a spa, so, it is really good to soap yourself in after the tongariro great walk.
Highly recommend this place....
without a car, they will pick u up in i-site... and actually, without yr big backpack, just 15 min walk to town for supermarket, library and shops ;)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank kukuwaiting
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Hi, I came to Turangi to escape the Hustle n Bustle n stress of Auckland. Not knowing where I was staying and had never been hea B4...Fortunately all the places in town wer bookd out and this was my last choice left and I believe it was meant to be. Ian, Chloe and Andrew are such beautiful souls with a great since of humour n make u fe so at home. I came with a heavy load on my mind and sholders but am leaving after 3 blissful days clear headed, energised with a big smile. Im bringing my kids back in a few weeks to experience wat I have. Thank u Ian, Cloe and Andrew. Tyrina Woods ,B

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank strengthofawoman
Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed 8 March 2013

All of the hosts (Ian, Chloe and Andrew) are so welcoming and friendly! They have lots of great advice on how to get the most out of your visit to Tongariro Alpine Crossing and when you come back from the walk, they genuinely want to know about your experience. On my second day, Chole invited a bunch guests to join her in a visit to nearby Awhi farm which is a teaching farm about permaculture/sustainable agriculture--a very interesting and fun couple of hours. They also have a hot tub, trampoline and a horse...plus lots of games.

I've stayed in lots of backpackers while in New Zealand and the vibe here is fantastic...it is so warm and welcoming that you get to know lots of other travelers...perfect for the solo traveler!

Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Corinne A
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We stayed 2 nights while doing the Tongariro crossing. We chose the place because of the location and cost, normally backpackers hostel is not preffered type of accommodation for us, but there was not much choice in Turangi. So it would not be fair to complain about it. The place is laid back hostel with good atmosphere, spacious kitchen and all necessary amenities. The rooms and corridors are originally decorated, the room itself wes pretty small and could do with some proper cleaning, but for backpacker hostel you cannot be too demanding. Overall, the place is good backpacker hostel and so do not expect much more.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2012

A 'home from home' to be exact. I did not expect too much for the price I paid and really I did not expect the good value for money I got in return.
The manager/owner Ian, picked me up from the wee town centre (though it wasn't too far to walk) and chatted away... friendly folks indeed.
I had my own private room and the whole property was Colourfully decorated, having quite a Global feel to it... which I Liked alot too.
Ian was very Welcoming, interesting to talk to and nothing was too much trouble (he didn't make a big deal out of anything).
I was going for something to eat one evening and next thing he unexpectedly cooked up a scrumptious big bowl of beef stew for me... great !
The Living room area was comfortable, Warm and receptive... I Liked the big Log fire in the Corner and Free wi-fi which gave no connection trouble whatsoever : )
I suppose I was a kinda stuck for transport up to Taupo and Ian kindly offered to drive me there upon my departure...
Another unexpected gesture came in the form of the manager taking me off with two other tourists to see the mountain top and learn a bit about it and the surrounding areas...
My accommodation was quite different in ways as I normally stay in an hotel, however I felt comfortable at the A Plus B'packers and it was super value too. Thanks for that.

Ritchey ( FaceBook, Richie Denver, Tyrone, California )

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ritchey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turangi
Chateau Tongariro Hotel
#16 of 17 in Turangi
Judges Pool Motel
Judges Pool Motel
#6 of 9 in Turangi

Been to A Plus Backpackers Lodge? Share your experiences!