“Great service, nice food”
Review of River Restaurant and Vineyard - CLOSED

River Restaurant and Vineyard
Cuisines: Diner, Pizza, Contemporary, Healthy
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic
Description: River Restaurant & Vineyard is a boutique family-owned Vineyard and Restaurant situated in a unique location of exceptional natural beauty on the edge of New Zealand’s oldest National Park and World Heritage area the Tongariro National Park. The Tongariro National Park is recognized for it’s important Maori cultural association’s as well as its outstanding Volcanic features. Tongariro is one of only a handful of sites worldwide to be given dual World Heritage status. Situated a short walk to the Tongariro River and some of the best fly-fishing in New Zealand if not the world makes Tongariro River Estate unique, indeed the much loved River Wine Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris grapes are grown on the stony flats of the old Tongariro river bed and capture the essence of this truly beautiful area.
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We dined at two "top" restaurants in Turangi, this was one of them. The service was pleasant, and definitely knew all about the wines this vineyard produces. On recommendation, we had a bottle of Pinot Noir 2008 which was excellent...(we also bought a bottle to take home!).
I had the pork belly (very nice) and my husband had the aged scotch-fillet. Unfortunately, the scotch-fillet had a lot of gristle running through it, so was not the best, even though the flavour and presentation was excellent, but we thought the gristle would have been noticeable prior to cooking!?
Would come again.

4  Thank ENGELBRECHT01

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I was part of a group of about 20 friends who visited to play petanque (unfortunately it was raining) and we had booked in for shared platters at $20 per person. The restaurant settling is nice, and the long table was nicely set. The platters were lean.I estimated the value to be about $5 per person. While we did not expect a meal, there was not enough food,

Reviewed 26 March 2014

A wonderful meal....truly! I was on a recent Fly Fishing trip (Mid March 2014) & a friend suggested we go (as it was my shout!). It was quiet on arrival, but a few more diners arrived after us. The meal was simply delicious, and the Pinot 2009 was delightful. A very full bodied Pinot which was a departure from other I have drunk. I highly recommend the food & Restaurant. Very well done indeed. I will return upon my next Fly Fishing expedition.

1  Thank Graham T
Reviewed 22 March 2014

The food was very nicely presented and the local Taupo beef was excellent. Best meal we've had during our travels in NZ the past three weeks

1  Thank Paul D
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My partner and I arrived without a booking and were happily accommodated. We ordered the bread which was promptly served and delicious right down to the home made beetroot chutney. For the main I ordered the pasta and my partner had the scotch fillet. Again it was served promptly and was very delicious, the steak was cooked to medium when ordered med rare but was never the less nice. Beautiful vegetables to boot. We didnt bother with the dessert as we took the time to enjoy a bottle of the estate's 2008 pinot noir. All in all a very enjoyable experience, next time it would be nice if the weather was more agreeable as we would have liked to have eaten alfresco and enjoyed the well appointed outside entertainment area.

1  Thank Lisax1970