“A MUST-DO DINING EXPERIENCE”

Lakeland House Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 23 Restaurants in Turangi
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I have already reviewed this restaurant which I visited in May 2013, and liked it so much I put it on my itinerary for May 2014, and I was not disappointed. I took a guest for dinner this time. The service was faultless and the meal came quickly. I had a small seafood chowder and my friend had the large dish, and I can honestly say it was the best I tried in New Zealand. My friend only had room for dessert, which was raspberry and pistachio cheesecake, which she pronounced delicious, while I had rack of lamb with tamarillo sauce - absolutely superb. I really love this place and would put it on my must-do list for any future trips to N.Z.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We dined in two "top" restaurants in the Turangi area, this was one of them. Nice "open" seating, this restaurant is right on the shores of little Waihi and would be awesome on a summer's evening!
The meal we had was nice. My husband had the smoked salmon salad and I had the lamb rack which was cooked to absolute perfection!!
On the downside, the service was rather weak. Weak in that the waitstaff were quite soft in their approach, and spasmodic in attendance. On arrival, we were given a pitcher of water but this was not poured out for us!? (have never had this happen at a restaurant before...).
Would like to see a bit more "engagement" from the waitstaff, but maybe this will come with experience because they were all very young.
Would come again though...

1  Thank ENGELBRECHT01
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The food was lovely although we weren't able to enjoy the views given it was dark and raining.

The service however was extremely slow and we had to call wait staff over several times to clear plates, take dessert orders, drinks etc. This is despite there only being two other tables occupied in the restaurant. Improve the service and this restaurant would be a winner.

1  Thank Wisewoman0910
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We were looking for a place for lunch and as one friend previously recommended this place, we looked for it.It is in a beautiful idyllic setting by the lake.The food is great and generous portion.We loved the cherry crumble with ice cream for shared dessert.Service was fast and efficient.We are pleased to let others know of this place.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

The restaurant was recommended by our host at Creel Lodge and the food did not disappoint - a huge number of king prawns with fantastic flavor set the scene, followed by superb entrees of rack of lamb, steak and venison. The portions were so large we couldn't contemplate dessert, but the menu here looked very appetizing as well.