“Awesome Mountain”

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome Mountain”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I didn't get the chance to scale up Mt Ngauruhoe (Mt Doom) while on the Tongariro Crossing but it looked awesome. Some travellers I spoke to said it was challenging but an amazing experience. Next time I visit I will make sure I do this climb.

Visited December 2013

• Polish first
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Difficult but worth it”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I am fit, the Tongariro crossing was easy. I went back a second time just for Mt Ngauruhoe (Doom in Lord of the Rings trilogy), and was glad I was returning back to the nearer car park rather than completing the crossing. I found going up relatively easy(much younger perhaps less fit people were taking longer/turning back). But coming down was difficult and (for me) poles essential.

It is waste of time going up if covered in cloud it tended to stick there but there is an easy path around the rim, allowing excellent 360 views of surrounding countryside.

Two tips one look for the easiest route and be prepared to veer off to where the ground looks more stable. Secondly and more importantly the visitor centre advised me the biggest risk was falling rocks from people above so make sure you are not immediately below people having difficulty and sending rocks rolling everywhere

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Peripatetic66
Oakville, Canada
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“This is an extremely challenging an dangerous activity!”
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Like many, I wanted to hike up Mount Doom, and so we took some time during our backpack trip on the Tongariro Northern Circuit to do it. We are both pretty athletic, but hiking up Mt. Ngauruhoe is probably one of the most difficult short activities I have ever done. I was expecting lots of trail followed by a relatively short climb over loose rock, but there was a lot less trail (and more serious scrambling) than I had anticipated! The views were great and we certainly felt an accomplishment reaching the rim, but we saw too many injuries to say this was a wise climb - a fall on the sharp scoria left one man bleeding from multiple wounds and we saw a few flying rocks that just missed people's heads. The best way down, it seems, is to slide down the scree on your feet. Our hiking poles really helped us to control our descent, but once again, some skill and confidence is really important with this type of activity. I don't recommend this hike unless you're REALLY sure of your stamina and capability.

Visited February 2013
5 Thank CdnBackpacker
Gisborne, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing view of volcano”
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We visited the carpark on Desert Road to look at this volcano and the others in the park. We were only there for about 15 minutes and a walker came out of the National Park to the cars. Then more walkers arrived. They had been on a five day walk through the National Park. They had had a good walk and had some good information on the volcanoes. The north tracks were shut due to the most northern volcano, Mount Tongariro, emitting steam from a northern point (we saw it on our next drive down - an amazing sight! - potential further volcanic activity). I really want to spend more time here.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank nells-p
Telford, Shropshire
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“A must do National Park”
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Mount Ngauruhoe, at 2287m, (Mount Doom in Lord of the RIngs) is one of three majestic, active volcanic mountains at Tongariro National Park, the oldest NP in New Zealand. Mount Ruapehu at 2797m and Mount Tongariro at 1967m are the other two. The three mountains are an impressive sight. Mount Tongariro was smoking when we visited. The lake on the top of Mount Ruapehu we were told was cooling and causing a bit of a stir as it should have been heating-up. Mount Ngauruhoe was a typical volcanic cone. We walked the 6k loop from Whakapapa Village, where there is a brilliant information centre, between Mounts Ngauruhoe and Ruapehu to Taranaki Falls, where the falls plunge 20m into a boulder-ringed pool. There were people absailing down the side of the falls. Most enjoyable walk in beautiful weather with good views of the mountains. There were lots of other fine walks available in the area, including the famous Tongariro Crossing rated as the best one-day tramp in New Zealand. This walk was closed on the day we visited as there was some problem along the route. There had been a 5.8 earthquake at some point miles below the surface at the Tongariro NP just a few days before we arrived which had been of no consequence due to its depth. It had been felt on South Island but we had not noticed it!

Visited December 2012