“Very good food & excellent service”

Turangi Bridge Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 23 Restaurants in Turangi
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Turangi Bridge Bar and Restaurant offers a stylish and welcoming atmosphere for sampling mouth-watering New Zealand cuisine. A Turangi icon since 1931, our restaurant has a genuine history and ambience unlike anywhere else. The large open fire makes it the perfect spot for a cosy, lodge-style winter dinner. Or in summer, you can sit on the deck to enjoy a glass of wine and a view of the Tongariro river and New Zealand landscape. The restaurant is also available for hire as your New Zealand wedding venue, conference venue or function room. We can cater to groups of different sizes with our buffet or a la carte options - please talk to us about what you need and we'll make sure you and your guests have a memorable evening. Please take a look at our seasonal menu - we have something to suit everyone's needs or budget.
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Very good food & excellent service”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

A large group of us stayed in Turangi last weekend. After reading Trip Advisor we opted to try the Bridge Motel Restaurant. When I phoned and made the booking, Lyn was extremely friendly and helpful. When we had to phone up and reduce our numbers at short notice there were no grumblings or complaints. In fact I was thanked for letting them know in advance. When we arrived every staff member was fantastically friendly - in a natural sort of way- and very helpful. I couldn't fault the food. A little pricey for what I would normally pay, but the food was excellent, portion size generous and 10 large meals came out within seconds of each other. I haven't seen steak portions that size for a long time. I was lucky in that their Hokey-Pokey Sundae was new on the menu that night and it was simple but delicious. I haven't had home-made hokey-pokey in about 30 years! Everyone in our group loved their meal and everyone left well satisfied. Definitely well worth a visit if you are staying in this area.

• Visited January 2014

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great find”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My husband and I visited this restaurant based on the reviews we read on tripadvisor and were glad we visited. I ordered the pasta of the day and hubby had the steak sandwich, both were delicious but the highlight was definitely dessert so we were glad we skipped the entrees to make room for it! The kahlua cheeseake was to die for and so was the chocolate tart. One of the best desserts I've ever tried. Big portion sizes and absolutley divine. The service was great as well and the restaurant had a lovely chateau style decor right next to the river which we felt would make an excellent wedding or function venue. I can imagine it would be a lovely place to go in winter with the fire going as well. We really enjoyed our meals and would definitely visit again!

• Visited December 2013
“Good food”
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Arrived just after 19:00, got a table by the skin of our teeth, because they had a large party in.
Ordered fish & chips (first of our holiday). Despite the large party the service was very good, and the food arrived promptly.
Fish & chips was up to expectations.

Visited December 2013
Tolaga Bay, New Zealand
“Tasty Seasonal Food”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

On a cold August night we enjoyed our evening with a log fire burning in the bar and tasty food at an affordable price.
We shared a Calamari entrée which was simply cooked but tender and tasty and served on a fresh salad.Our mains of lamb Rack and Lamb Shank were cooked to perfection and just right at this time of year. Both meals were served with fresh, seasonal and perfectly cooked vegetables.
We would definitely return.

• Visited August 2013
Wellington
“A real find”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I was surprised by this restaurant in all the right ways: while the restaurant’s appearance is pleasant but unassuming, the food is remarkably good.

The menu (http://www.turangibridgemotel.co.nz/menu/) had many enticing offerings. On the first night, I hadcarrot and ginger soup as an entree. It was delicious, with flavours that were present but not overpowering. At $8.00 for a bowl, this was an exceptional deal. For my main, I ordered one of the specials – the scotch fillet – which also was very nicely prepared and presented.

Our experience made it easy to return the second night. This time I opted for the pasta of the day, a homemade meat ravioli with mild chilli flavours. Again, this was excellent. I chose the chocolate brownie for dessert. This was served warm, and came with a small jug full of chocolate sauce, Chantilly cream and ice cream. Perfect for chocolate-lovers, like me.

Portions are generous, and thankfully there is no compromise on quality. Further options for vegetarians might be useful, but this is merely an observation. Overall, the menu is excels in its simplicity – the restaurant has picked a few dishes, and does them well.

I should also note that hosts Kent and Lyn clearly realise that hospitality is more than providing food and lodging... so do yourself a favour and stay a night or two. There's heaps to do!

• Visited July 2013