“Pure Bliss”

Ranked #1 of 8 Turangi B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Pure Bliss”
Reviewed 19 February 2009

This gem of a property is everything the discerning traveller could want. The rooms are stylish and comfortable, the garden divine, the communal space clean and modern and the hosts are gracious and discreet.
I loved every aspect of my stay here.The dinner on site was superb, with the hosts organising to drop us and pick us up from a local restaurant right on the lake the second night.I slept with the windows open so I could here the tumbling waters of the river. I just hope it stays like it is... a hidden gem for those people who are looking for a quiet tasteful retreat. I definately yearn to return.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 December 2008

I found out about River Birches through the Trip Advisor website and contacted the property directly. We booked the Majors Room even though it was above our budget but it was sooo worth it! The room was large, wonderful and bright, a clean bathroom with both bath and shower, with a porch/deck to the beautiful garden. The lodge itself is hosted by a nice, professional and welcoming woman called Anthea and she got to know us over drinks when we arrived, and then a cooked dinner which was booked with her beforehand. The following day I had a massage in my room, also pre-booked, and it was absolutely sensational. My massage therapist also told me what a wonderful place River Birches is and how she loves working for them. Everything was top class - from the service, the food, the wine and location. It was a splurge - but so worth it! We definitely want to return.

• Liked — Elegant, classy, a real gem
  • Disliked — They are too minor to even mention
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RJMcDiarmid
Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 August 2008

We stayed at the River Birches for 3 wonderful nights. The house is elegant and modern, with beautiful gardens, the river a few steps away. The place is comparable with a very top end hotel, but much more enjoyable because it's small, personal, and cozy. The hosts prepare delicious breakfast (to order), and can prepare dinner (which was especially nice the night we arrived, after an overnight flights and drive from Auckland).

The hosts (Anthea and her husband) were gracious and generous. They are experienced in setting up guests with appropriate activities -- they spent considerable time making phone calls to organize our activities. Their personal attention really added to the experience.

You don't have to be into fishing to have a good time here. We didn't fish at all, but enjoyed the walking paths along the river, the nearby parks, and Lake Taupo.

One of the best experiences we've had in any form of accommodation, in any country! Well worth the price.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank massmerlin
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 May 2008

My husband and I have recently returned from our 11 day stay at RB. We were absolutely blown away by the property, the location and just the entire ambiance of the place! We were lucky enough to have the place to our selves for our entire stay!
Anthea (the host and manager) was helpful with her knowledge of the surrounding areas and tourist attractions/activities, an amazing cook and by the end we felt like part of the family!!
An amazing place to stay for a quiet and relaxing holiday, quiet honeymoon even just to treat yourself for a night if you are traveling NZ and on the road. It is located close enough to all the great tourist attractions yet it is secluded enough to be away from the hustle and bustle!
You will not be disappointed!

• Liked — Location, Hosted experience
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ecidnac
Sydney
Reviewed 10 May 2008

I had a wonderful stay at River Birches in April 2008. My room looked out onto the beautiful grounds and my bath looked out onto a small private garden. The Tongariro is just behind the house. In the evening, all you could hear were the sound of the running river. Anthea, who manages River Birches, was the perfect host. Nothing was too much trouble. She picked me up at Lake Taupo and dropped me off at the airport after my stay! I was told that the kitchen at the lodge was not open every night so on the first night Anthea had booked me a table at the Tongariro Lodge. The food was average. On speaking with Anthea, I discovered that dinner at River Birches could be "on demand"......so for the rest of my stay I ate in! Anthea's cooking was wonderful - her dishes were simple but inventive and all filled with fresh veggies from her garden! After a hard day trout fishing it was great to come back to a hot bath, followed by wine and cheese and Anthea's superb sun-dried tomatoes before a delicious dinner! I highly recommend River Birches - it was a wonderful experience and terrific value for money!

• Liked — Great location; lovely interiors; friendly and gracious hosts; great food
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank Divinemsmay
London
Reviewed 3 May 2008

We found River Birches at Turangi by accident, not being keen fishing enthusiastics. It is tucked away down a quiet road in the not very lively town of Turangi, but close to Lake Taupo. We have been on an extra long honeymoon trip around NZ/Aus mostly staying in B&Bs and RB was a little out of our price range. However, it did surpass our expectations and was worth the bit extra. The Lodge, as described previously is extremely well presented, and in pristine condition (even though it has been running 3 yrs I understand). We were lucky enough to be the only people staying for our 2 nights there and had the whole place to ourselves. Our only criticism would be that our host (unfortunately the name has been forgotten as it was several months ago!) was a little cool/offish at first, and we didn't get the friendly Kiwi welcome we had become accustomed to. She had been working solid for the last few weeks before we arrived, and we did feel as if she would have preferred not to have had any guests to look after for a few days.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Broteas
CT, USA
Reviewed 3 February 2008

We loved it. Stayed three nights and if we could of we would of extended. We did the the Tongariro Alpine trek. Fabulous wines and food. My wife loved the fishing.

• Liked — Quiet, natural surruondings food,
  • Disliked — That we could not extend and stay one more night
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bob_Greenwich
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turangi
Chateau Tongariro Hotel
Creel Lodge Motel
Creel Lodge Motel
#1 of 9 in Turangi
Asure Parklands Motor Lodge

Been to River Birches Lodge? Share your experiences!