River Birches Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Oreti Village(Turangi)
US$178
US$173
Hotels.com
Turangi Bridge Motel(Turangi)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$120
US$117
Settlers Motel(Turangi)(Great Value!)
US$75
Agoda.com
Judges Pool Motel(Turangi)(Great Value!)
US$82
Agoda.com
Asure Parklands Motor Lodge(Turangi)(Great Value!)
US$86
Sportsmans Lodge(Turangi)(Great Value!)
US$68
US$62
Agoda.com
Anglers Paradise Motel(Turangi)(Great Value!)
US$86
Agoda.com
Creel Lodge Motel(Turangi)(Great Value!)
US$100
Tongariro River Motel(Turangi)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$77
Priceline
All reviewsnew zealandb bfly fishingtongariro national parkadmiral roomthe kitchenbeautiful gardenprivate guideluxurious accommodationwooden hot tubwonderful dinnertrout fishingbrown troutfour nightsbeautiful place to staypeaceful settingtongariro area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Firstly, this is NOT in Taupo, it's a good 1hour drive from Taupo.
We found it a little difficult to book our stay a few months ahead, emails not ebing responded to initially but it all came together in the end.
The gardens and rooms are amazing. It's an absolute paradise.
My partner and I felt that we were being constantly watched by the host though and that it was a little inconvenient in us being there as she felt she needed to talk to us when we really just wanted our own space more than anything.

Wouldn't stay here again but it really was lovely when we did.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
jason_bleibtreu, Owner at River Birches Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2010

Thank you for bring up these issues. I am delighted to hear that you found us to be "an absolute paradise" and that our "gardens and rooms are amazing".
We work very hard at River Birches so that our guests may relax and feel at home. I am sorry to hear about some aspects that did not meet your expectations. Unfortunately TripAdvisor use to have our geographic location as Taupo. It is true we are in the Taupo district but we are not located in the large town of "Lake Taupo". Instead we are located along the banks of a the beautiful Tongariro River. This may of caused some confusion. We advised TripAdvisor to change this and we are now correctly located in Turangi. It is so hard for us to always suss out the mood of our guests. Usually we get this right. In your case I can understand that you wanted a little "chill time" and that our staff may have been too attentive in trying to show you all of the wonderful things our area has to offer.
Again thank you for your comments and for bringing these matters to my attention.

Jason Bleibtreu
Owner

Reviewed 23 March 2009

River Birches was exactly what I was looking for after a busy two weeks on the south island. A place that I could come and relax when I wanted to and great base to get out and participate in the many activities that the area has to offer. Originally I had booked two nights, but enjoyed the tranquility and the wonderful hosts that I stayed for two more nights! Anthea is an awesome cook providing a better dinner then the local 5 Star Tongariro Lodge restaurant. Anthea and Bill were also genuinely interested in assisting me with my activities making many and excellent suggestions. A wonderful place!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2009

My boyfriend (of the time) and I had an incredible holiday at the River Birches. We found the lodge incredibly cosy, with luxuriously sleek modern finishes (such as heated bathroom tiles, spa baths, a mini fitness centre and mini business centre), adorned by subtle thai hints that made it impossible not to feel relaxed very quickly. The lodge is surrounded by a sizable beautiful garden and overlooks the River itself. We used to go for walks through the forest, across the suspended bridge over the river and then wandre along the river. Also, if you like fishing, or in our case, just enjoy eating trout, there is a lot of it swimming there. You really feel like you're in the Lord of the Rings, surrounded by dse greenery and all you can hear is the river rushing by. There is something semi-ethereal about this part of New Zealand. Just 15 minutes drive away from our serene lodge is the hot springs, where you can sit in minal water heated by the volcanic earth around the region. We did this after enjoying a bottle of gorgeous regional red wine and cheese (regularly served at the lodge). We also enjoyed white water rafting and kayaking through a company reccomended by the River Birches staff, as well as black wer rafting (underground) which was amazing. We walked through serene fields with gentle horses and ended up at a mini golf place having a blast. The most amazing thing was that on top of all the exciting water sports, we were also able to go snowboarding off a volcano! The view from the mountain was truly breathtaking and the snow was beautifully powdery. I would definately stay at the River Birches again. It was one of the most memorable, magical holidays I have ever had.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Grace-Isobel
Reviewed 19 February 2009

This gem of a property is everything the discerning traveller could want. The rooms are stylish and comfortable, the garden divine, the communal space clean and modern and the hosts are gracious and discreet.
I loved every aspect of my stay here.The dinner on site was superb, with the hosts organising to drop us and pick us up from a local restaurant right on the lake the second night.I slept with the windows open so I could here the tumbling waters of the river. I just hope it stays like it is... a hidden gem for those people who are looking for a quiet tasteful retreat. I definately yearn to return.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2008

I found out about River Birches through the Trip Advisor website and contacted the property directly. We booked the Majors Room even though it was above our budget but it was sooo worth it! The room was large, wonderful and bright, a clean bathroom with both bath and shower, with a porch/deck to the beautiful garden. The lodge itself is hosted by a nice, professional and welcoming woman called Anthea and she got to know us over drinks when we arrived, and then a cooked dinner which was booked with her beforehand. The following day I had a massage in my room, also pre-booked, and it was absolutely sensational. My massage therapist also told me what a wonderful place River Birches is and how she loves working for them. Everything was top class - from the service, the food, the wine and location. It was a splurge - but so worth it! We definitely want to return.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank RJMcDiarmid