Extreme Backpackers
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewscommon areasinner courtyardthe kitchentongariro crossingcaptain jackdouble roomwalking distancestayed here for nightsgreat facilitiescommon roomthe ownergreat kitchentroutwhite water raftingfree wifigreat hostsnew zealand
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed here the night before embarking on part of the Tongariro circuit (the part we missed last year thanks to the eruption - Desert hwy past Waihohonu hut, which is brilliant, staying at Oturere hut then past Ketetahi hut - that took some hits in the eruption - to the road. Terrible weather but great to finish the walk at last). The owners of the hostel were simply fantastic to deal with when organising our transport - really felt like they were happy to help & nothing was too much trouble. Happy to let us leave our vehicle in the car park while we hiked too!

Our double room was attached to the climbing facility which was very quiet at night. The kitchen is large and well equipped. The public areas roomy and welcoming. A BBQ is available too.

We'll stay again.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are attached to the climbing facility.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 December 2013

This place came recommended by NZ Rough Guides book we were using as reference. My wife and I stayed here for 3 days with the intention to do the Tangariro Alpine Crossing. Being aptly named 'Extreme Backpackers', this place is nothing like the dingy and dodgy backpacker places everyone is familiar with. Instead, you get an extremely warm welcome from the host/owner (John) with his ever quirky French berets. The rooms are very comfortable, clean and come with fresh sheets. Common areas are clean and the kitchen is very well equipped. John, being a Turangi native, is very well versed with the area and was ever willing to share his experiences and entertaining stories. He was even kind enough to fetch us up to Lake Rotopounamu on the 2nd day as the Crossing was cancelled due to bad weather. Book this place early as it gets filled up pretty fast.

Room Tip: They have 3 rooms with en-suite toilet/shower which can cater to a family of 4 comfortably
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Extreme Backpacker - Really? I was slightly concerned as we pulled up as I cant really say I would live up to that title, but I soon relaxed once inside.

Myself and my partner stayed here for 2 nights in a double room with shared bathroom. The room was a tad on the small side but it was fine for us with our backpacks. The bed was warm and cozy, the bathrooms clean and the showers hot.

The Kitchen was large and had plenty of room for people to cook and wash up without getting under each others feet. There was a large area with tables where you could sit and eat or play cards. The area also had computers but I didnt make use of them so cant comment on speed etc. On the walls were lots of posters and information regarding the area and walks.

I really liked the TV room there were 2 sofas facing the TV and also another 2 against the wall. I spent one evening lying on the sofa watching a film with other travellers which was really nice.

The staff were friendly and helpful. She warned us of bad weather on our onward journey and asked us to take care.

Liked:

Living /TV area
Cozy Bedrooms
Big clean kitchen

Disliked:

Walls a bit thin, we were located next to the bathroom : /

Overall I would recommend.

Room Tip: Not next to the bathroom!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I stayed in this hostel for 4 days recently whilst exploring the Tongariro National Park and had a great time. The hosts were so fun and welcoming and went out of their way to help me. I was there for a few days whilst waiting to do the Tongariro Crossing and there was loads to do - bike rides, hot springs, Lake Tama walk and climbing at the hostel's own indoor climbing wall. Great fun

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 September 2013

The name 'Extreme Backpackers' may give you the impression of rowdy, thrill-seeking types, dingy bunkbeds and crowded common rooms... but really it was quite the opposite. Our experience was really pleasant and the perfect place to lay our heads after a day at Whakapapa. Our double room was tidy and warm, the shared kitchen was immaculate extremely well equipped. The lounge and common areas were tidy and a good place to relax to watch the All Blacks. Lots of eating options in walking distance, as well as the supermarket. The Hot Pools in Tokaanu were well worth the 10 minute drive too. We only booked this place because Ohakune and National Park were all booked out, but we will definitely use this place as a first option in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple