“Aging, but still a beauty”

Turangi Bridge Motel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Turangi
“Aging, but still a beauty”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My most recent stay was I think my 4th stay at Bridge over 4 decades. Not a lot has changed in the decor and fittings. The Media Services (TV, Video, Internet) are still in the 80's. But a stay the Bridge had always centered itself around the Bar and Restaurant as the Hub area and the services there, which remains still top class and at least Sky and Wifi are available there. There only still the Spas and Sauna's in terms on Resort Facilities. They allow dogs which was the pull for us this time but very good facilities for walking.

An overall upgrade is probably overdue for the place. But I still would probably rate it highly and the rates are very attractive and excellent value. Given it's proximity to Taupo and the Mountain still makes a great place to stay. Don't be put off by it proximity to the highway still relaxing nights sleep.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Reviewed 26 December 2011

My husband and I are staying at Bridge Fishing Lodge. The room is darling. There is a stocked kitchen and bathroom and the room has lovely decorations. The carpeting seemed brand new.
We ate dinner at the restaurant. The stacked vegetarian dinner was delicious. My husband had the salmon which he thought was some of the best he has had. We sat on the deck and had local wine before dinner.
My husband fished and the owners Lyn and Kent invited me to have coffee with them as I used the wireless at the main lodge. I hope to be able to return someday!

• Stayed December 2011
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Firstly, I'm not a complainer. It has taken months for me to write this review as I am torn about having to be negative.

We booked this lodge as a base for a snowboarding holiday. We checked in on a Monday evening after a day on the mountain. The room seemed ok and the man who checked us in was friendly enough. We stayed in room 1 closest to the office area.

On the Wednesday I developed welts on my body. By the Thursday I had over 20 welts from what I believe to be bedbugs. The welts were in lines and groups of 3 all around my torso. My partner was not bitten or did not react, this is not unusual according to bedbug research. there was crunching under the carpet between the bed and the kitchen which could indicate dead shells, and the mattress was covered in black spots. I could not see behind the headboard. I wanted to go home but did not want to take the bed bugs with us so we stayed Thursday night, got up on Friday morning and drove to Taupo and purchased bed bug spray and returned to the lodge where we sprayed everything and checked our belongings carefully before packing the car.

The welts were incredibly painful and I was close to tears a number of times. I felt dirty and did not want to discuss the issue when my partner checked us out on the Saturday morning.

Upon arriving home we unpacked the car straight into the laundry and every item we had went through a hot wash or was out in the deep freeze for a month.
We threw away a suitcase, a snowboarding helmet, a pair of shoes and my favorite ug boots as they had been on the floor in the room for a number of nights and posed a threat to or home if they had bugs in then.

The next day I phoned the lodge and told then that I believed I had been bitten by bedbugs. The man told me he would look into it.

A week passed and the welts were finally starting to ease in their intensity. I spent 200 dollars on a mattress protector in case we had brought the bugs home. I did not hear back from the lodge. So I sent then an email. The reply I received was, in my opinion, not adequate.

I was told the manager who I spoke to had left the lodge the following day and had not passed the message on. This seemed very strange, as I believed he lived on site.

The lodge informed me that they had contacted a man who stays in that room regularly and he had not been bitten so therefore there is no problem and they offered me a 20% discount on my next stay! They could not pay me to go back there.

I think they should have called a pest control officer to investigate my claim. They could've at least looked at the black spots on the mattress and investigated the strange crunching under the carpet.

This incident cost my partner and I a huge amount of time and energy. I estimate the replaced goods and mattress cover to have cost over $700. My biggest concern is the nonchalant way in which our complaint was dealt with.

I have written this review to hopefully save someone else from having to go through this psychological and financial trauma.

• Stayed July 2011
6 Thank SilentS_11
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We spent just one night here but would happily stay more when we go through Turangi again. We were greeted with smiles (even though it was close to 11pm) and the owner walked us to our room and was very friendly.

The room was fantastic, good size, comfy bed and most importantly had electric blankets and a nice heater which heated the room quickly. The shower was amazing, better than our one at home and had endless hot water.

We were given some milk and the room had coffee and tea making facilities which were just what we needed after our long drive.

They were more than accommodating for breakfast the next morning and even offered us a late check out at no extra charge.

I would highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 February 2011

We came across this place and only intended staying one night but ended up staying two. The food was absolutely fantastic and the rooms while a little dated were very comfortable and clean and very reasonably priced. The new owners are great, very friendly and hospitable and are refurbishing at present. The service was great. We were very pleasantly surprised with all that Turangi has to offer with amazing walks that suit all levels of fitness. In the past we have just driven through Turangi but never again - it is well worth the stop. The river runs alongside this Lodge and the lake is very handy as well. This is a sportsman's paradise with something for all the family. The owner, Kent, entertained us on his guitar with some great music which added to a very memorable stay. Highly recommend!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Dorset
Reviewed 11 December 2010

We came across on this motel when our pre-booked Lake Taupo stay turned out to be more a "Backpackers" variety and we moved on.
Location is superb with river walk and surrounded by pleasant parkland.
The present Chef produces wonderful meals. My partner was especially impressed with the creme brulee topped with a large portion of Manuka honeycomb.
The accomodation is in cabins pleasantly fitted out.
Within a few miles the road leads to the Tongariro National Park and a stunning viewpoint over Lake Taupo and the Crater Lake walk of Lake Rotopounamu.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Putaruru
Reviewed 22 April 2010

The Bridge lodge has eveything a traveller needs, the famous Tongariro River at your door step, Tidy well presents clean rooms at very reasonable prices, plus a very welcoming bar and reataurant , real great pub food and New Zealand Cuisene. We found the staff very friendly and helpfull, will definately stay here during the Ski Season.

Turangi is now famous for its Autumn colours, make it a place to stop if you are travelling through NZ, it is exactly half way between Wellington and Auckland - if you want to avoid the hustle and bustle of Rotorua and Taupo, the book at the Bridge, great parking if you have a camper.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turangi
Chateau Tongariro Hotel
#1 of 9 in Turangi
Judges Pool Motel
Judges Pool Motel
#6 of 9 in Turangi

Been to Turangi Bridge Motel? Share your experiences!