“On a par with” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 22 Restaurants in Turangi
Wellington, New Zealand
“On a par with”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

This cafe is on a par with many of the brunch spots in Turangi, surely there is somewhere nice to eat in town! I was travelling South and decided to take a break. I like the town for many things but it's cafes let it down, (see some of my other posts). I had eaten here a few years back when it was called something else and had had a milkshake or two in summer so I though revisit. It was about half full and we ordered food and drinks at the counter and sat down. The only busy person was the chef in the kitchen. She was flat out but would smile whenever she looked out at the waiting customers. I'm assuming the woman at the cash register was the owner by her manner and she was making the drinks. We waited and waited, the cafe patrons began to thin, new customers arrived but no drinks. I caught her eye a few times but no drinks. Some old acquaintances came in and she spent 15 minutes talking to them. Brunch arrived and it was standard fare. To the kitchens credit, it was delivered with a smile and an apology for the delay...but still no drinks. I was almost finished eating when two cups clanked on to the table without anything said, 40 minutes after ordering. It wasn't worth the wait. I went to pay and the EPFPOS machine was down so another 10-15 minutes waiting. When the owner got this going again she said they didn't accepted credit cards. There was no sign anywhere indicating this. I eventually paid and left without any apology. I feel for the lovely young girl in the kitchen but my advice is to eat elsewhere, I don't know were else in Turangi but not here. Is there anyone locally that can inject some service and pride into Turangi's eatery's?

• Visited July 2014