“Romantic and most welcoming hotel”

Le Miramonti Hotel & Wellness
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in La Thuile
London
“Romantic and most welcoming hotel”
Reviewed 30 March 2010

My husband and I stayed for a long weekend and loved every minute of it. The hotel is warm and welcoming and in a truly stunning location. We were upgraded to a suite which was spread on two levels and had great views of the mountains and slept like babies. The food is excellent and such good valueon half board as the menu changes daily and it always has several choices. The restaurant is beautiful and it has wide windows that overlook a pretty river, making the atmosphere really romantic, especially at dinner. Ask for a table near the window, if available.

The hotel is family run and one can see it in the personal touches and the smiley faces that welcome guests. The hotel only opened in December and we visited in January so the staff was still learning some of the tricks of the trade however everyone was always available and willing to please the guests.

The slopes are only a short drive or walk away and the hotel provides a shuttle if you are carrying your gear with you.

The spa is a very nice treat after a day skying or if you don't fancy going out at all!

The village is small but has everything you may need for a weekend or a week's stay...don't forget to buy some cheese from the little shop on the main street, it's divine!

Great hotel and great place, we can't wait to come back again!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Trullers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Lund
Reviewed 16 March 2010

We booked a Comfort Double room. It was VERY small, only a bed and no open space, not even place for 2 suit cases. (Bathroom was good and big though) As we were two friends travelling together, we were not too excited to have one big bed with one cover to share.

In this case, the hotel management excelled our expectations and offered us two rooms instead. That was really good customer service that made us feel really well taken care of.

The hotel is well located and offers a transfer to the ski lifts. It is a nice building with a cosy atmosphere. Service was commonly friendly.

However, in other aspects it did not live up to the standard of a 4 star hotel:

We had booked half-board. The dinner served was uninspired and simple, with "main ingredients" polenta and cheese sauce. The restaurant had an a’la carte part as well, that served high-quality food. You felt not too satisfied there, having to eat you h-b food, which too often was served cold, looking at other guests eating noticeable better food. Half-board is in other words not recommended!

Another flaw was the Spa that actually took an entrance fee of 12 EUR. Hotels SPAs are based on my previous experiences usually free for the hotel guests.

To summarize, we liked the hotel, but think that they need to make certain improvements to live up to the expectations that you have on a 4* establishment.
We like to come back, but then without the half-board!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank jeander40
lemiramonti, Proprietario at Le Miramonti Hotel & Wellness, responded to this review, 20 July 2010
We wish to thank the clients for the good advices and the acknowledgement of the “good customer service” they have received during their stay.

A few comments from the hotel point of view are though necessary:

1- The room originally booked by the clients is one of the very few now described in all selling channels as “semi-double” or “French bed sized” or “economy double”. The clients never informed the hotel that they needed a twin bedded room and they always acknowledged that;

2- The food of the half board is for sure of the same quality as the one served in our “A’ la Carte Menu”. Nevertheless, when our many repeating clients choose a daily 4 course menu at the discounted price of euro 30,00 in their half board package, they never expect to be served the same dishes of an “A’ la carte Menu” where some dishes can cost up to 25,00 euro each;

We sincerely hope that these clients will come back, as they declared in their useful review, and will change their mind on our half board food on which we constantly invest time and money.

Sincerely yours

Athens
Reviewed 20 January 2010

“Unprofessional!” If there had to be only one word to perform the behavior of the hotel owners and their staff, this would have been the one!
The main theme is about our Christmas vacation as a family with the formal Ski Team of Patras (Greece) over at La Thuile – Italy in Hotel Miramonti (proud member of C Hotels in Italy). Our family is consisted by us (parents of Greek origin), our two sons (U.S. Citizens) and our dog. Our sons aged 14 and 11 years old have been skiing for the last 7 years following the program – travelling around Europe – with the above mentioned team. And of course our 2 years old fine female Samoyed called Day, which we consider member of our family. Pet owners and especially those who had the chance to live with Samoyeds know very well that as much love you show to them, that and more than that you get in return. Actually, we believe that the same goes for people. So, ourselves and our kids know that a great part of sharing happiness with those animals has to do with taking them out for a walk to play, pee etc. As a surgeon trained in USA, and as a Greek (regarding the ancient Spartan saying “a healthy mind goes to a healthy body”) I know well the basics of public hygiene. For example, I have been teaching my children that whenever our dog is leaving behind stools, vomit etc we have to collect them with a plastic bag as if it would have happened in our house.
To make the long story short, while staying in Hotel Le Miramonti of La Thuile the members of Cavaliere family (owners) noticed that our dog, twice in a row, as they claim, “left its [--] on the room’s carpet”. It really never came to our attention as this animal was left alone in the room for three hours those first two mornings of the week, but only after it was taken out the regular way for its needs. The reason for this was because those two mornings we needed to follow our sons, myself the younger one snowboarding and my wife the older one skiing. The rest of the week I was personally and continuously taking care of the dog taking her out for walking in the snow. The result was that on the third day a member of the owners (young Mr. Cavaliere) was showing to all of the residents of the Hotel in front of the reception a dirty towel that was coming from our room number.
I didn’t pay much attention as I found this very unprofessional and at the same time thinking that it wouldn’t be from our dog since we take care of it in the usual manner. The fifth day all of the Greek Ski residents of Hotel Miramonti got a letter in front of their door (including us); saying that the owners apologize from everyone for their behavior except of “those who own the dog that left s… on the carpet!” Well, since there were only two dog owners in the Ski Team and after someone from the Cavaliere family blamed in public our room number, I had to go and find out what was going on. Talking to one of the Cavaliere young brothers I found out that it was our dog that made the mess in our room carpet.-“And why did you not call me in person, so I can take care of this myself?” , I asked.-“No! your kids did this on purpose and I had to make my housekeeping service to take care of this!” he said. I didn’t continue the discussion any more… The next morning while I was getting prepared to depart, the other young brother of the Cavaliere family approached me saying:-“If you mention this in public I will show everyone the picture of your dog s… and those of your family!”-“Well”, I said, “If you would have been a pet owner, you would have known that accidents happen. And I would never object to collect my dog’s littering, as I do it anyway. For your information, I found in your Hotel’s Restaurant twice in a row, pieces of plastic and I Just showed those to the waiter without causing a problem about it. So, for a third time you showed an unprofessional behavior. Finally, as I come to think of it more, I believe that there is a great difference between you and my dog, Mr. Cavaliere: my dog loves people, but you Sir, it looks like you don’t”.
Unbelievable though true story. It happened a few days ago.
11/1/10 Sincerely, P. Kessaris

• Stayed January 2010
1 Thank HellasKifissia
lemiramonti, Owner at Le Miramonti Hotel & Wellness, responded to this review, 28 February 2010
Our family has been dedicating life to hospitality for more than 40 years now and very rarely happened to us to be overwhelmed by so much arrogance and insensible behavior (especially towards other guests of the hotel) that unfortunately some members of this Greek group have shown during their stay at Le Miramonti. We would have preferred to leave behind us all the unpleasant details of that very long week, nevertheless many guests who have visited us after the publishing of the only two negative reviews on our hotel (both written by members of the same group), insisted that we had to reply to something that was clearly misleading and untrue.

For 7 days (2-9 January 2010) our family, our staff and, most of all, all other clients of the hotel not part of the group add to accept: kids laying on the floor in the restaurant and screaming during dinner time (without any sort of control by their parents while our English guests were staring at the them astonished); massive attacks to the breakfast buffet in the morning (that was never rich enough … to cater for lunch storages); etc …

We just wonder if professionalism for our Greek guest is to let him doing whatever he likes regardless to the basic rules of civilization. Just a few example:

- Our hostess at Le M Club (the wellness center of the hotel) ask to some member of the group to use a lower volume of voice while in the pool in order to let other guests enjoy the relax time … they started laughing at her and simulating a silly whisper noise;

- We continuously had to beg many members of the group not to wear ski boots while in the hotel (the hotel floor is made of wood and carpets and can be easily ruined by ski boots) and in reply we received the following words “I have paid and I do whatever I like”;

There could be plenty of other examples but we honestly prefer to forget this negative experience that it has been – very luckily – the first in many years of activity (please see the reviews of our Villa Novecento and Cresta et Duc hotels in Courmayeur).

About the dog dispute, there are at least 3 members of our staff (2 cleaning ladies and 1 receptionist that has been called to witness the scene) that can swear that the “gifts” of the dog were in the bathroom and that the dog was not in the room: the clients had left to take a walk leaving to someone else the honor to clean up the nice gifts of their dog. And this has been done for 3 days in a row. On the fourth day we decided to inform the group leader and the day after the polite dog owner has finally cleaned the “gifts” up … with hotel towels!!!

We think there is really no comment to add to this story except that we love dogs (we have a 3 years old Labrador called Toby) … but we shall surely always put people (even if they are for somebody “only” employees) first.

London
Reviewed 15 January 2010

This is a friendly hotel with helpful staff, excellent head waiter, and warm atmosphere.
It was exceptional as a good 4 star hotel and we enjoyed our stay enormously. The food was very good. Which was a delicious buffet breakfast included scrambled eggs. Dinner was a four course meal and the standard was always very good. The staff went out of their way to offer alternatives on the couple of occasions where one of us did not like a choice on the set menu. The only difficulty during the week stemmed from a large group with children who virtually took over the hotel with little consideration for other guests. This caused problems for the staff particularly when they were trying to serve dinner in the restaurant. The bar was nice but a little cold. The rooms were very comfortable. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Patras
Reviewed 13 January 2010

The hotel is newly and nicely renovated (a plus) but the management still needs to find its pace (a big minus). We visited the hotel as part of a group of 80+ people (a ski club) with children. I suppose the management saw the children and went mad. They were afraid that we would cause damage to the new furniture and fittings. They were always concerned about the cost of things.

Breakfast. Salty items (eggs, ham, cheese) were not served. After a lot of negotiatinos some scrambled eggs and slices of cheese were offered.

Wellness centre. Nothing to talk about. Small swimming pool (more like a pond) and very small overall. Serves only 12 hotel guests at a time so book in advance. No children allowed.

Rooms. OK. Clean and cosy

Food. OK. They try to be creative. Sometimes it works sometimes not. Good effort.

Ski Bus. Good and fast service to the ski lift area. You call them and they come to pick you up. Beware the driver has his break between 11:30 - 12:00 so he will not come during that interval. Also the bus will strictly carry 8 people plus the driver at a time.

Overall I suppose not a hotel for families, more of a romantic getaway hotel for couples. The hotel management never made us feel truly wellcomed, they were tense and that caused a lot of haggling between us and them. (Having said that the barman at Fauburg bar was a very nice and wellcoming guy - mede me feel wellcomed at least)

One last thing, do not try contacting them by mail. On three occasions I never recieved a reply back

• Stayed January 2010

#3 of 42 in Courmayeur
Hotel Martinet
Hotel Martinet
#3 of 10 in La Thuile

Been to Le Miramonti Hotel & Wellness? Share your experiences!