“Fantastic food & a thoroughly enjoyable evening”
Review of The Red Lion Pub

The Red Lion Pub
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Knapton
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 September 2015

I've visited the Red Lion at Knapton near York many times, but always at lunchtime. Having never had a bad experience there, I decided to book for a celebratory dinner. Arriving at 7.00pm, I was surprised to see that the large car park was half-full; thank goodness I had booked as only 2 tables were unreserved even at that time! The welcome from the Staff was very friendly and throughout the evening, the service was first class. We chose from the Specials Board - Venison for my Guest and Sea Trout with Fanfalle for me. The presentation of both was superb which was matched by the taste and flavours of top-notch cooking. We finished off with a mouth watering Chocolate Torte. What we had not known was that Thursday was Pub Quiz Night - very enjoyable. We were about to leave when told we "must stay for the Musical Bingo" - thank goodness we did as we won! A wonderful evening to remember for so many reasons - good food & good company. Highly recommended - but suggest you book!

2  Thank MedEngland

Reviewed 1 September 2015

Poor food. Two [or was it three] pieces of lambs liver laid on a small amount of mash. £10.95. Worst meal I’ve had in a long time. Our other meals were not so bad but, sorry Red Lion, you need to up your game.

2  Thank PYAshington
Reviewed 23 August 2015

A little gem of a place and we will go back. If you live local then you must try this place and if you are a tourist in York it's worth the taxi ride. From the minute we arrived we were welcome, and the food is excellent, and a well stocked wine cellar to boot. We had a lovely evening. Thank you!!

1  Thank Rosemary29_13
Reviewed 13 August 2015

on a recent visit to York we were recommended this pub/restaurant by the receptionist at our hotel and it did not fail to impress, the food was excellent piping hot and served with a smile we will certainly return to try something else off the menu next time we are in the area

Reviewed 3 August 2015

We recently visited as a family group of seven and found out pretty quick that it was Carvery only, with a small vegetarian option. OK we should of not assumed that this is all they did, but you do assume a pub with a good reputation for food would offer a selection of food. Five of the seven of us would of preferred something else but we had no choice but to go for the Carvery.

In fairness it was reasonable quality, but as with most Carvery's you just don't get enough meat, but what you did get was good, the Gammon was the best I have had in many a moon so it did make up for my initial disappointment.

My wife though went for the Veggie option of a Mushroom Risotto which was flavourless, how can you fail to make a Risotto tasty!!

I will give this place another go on a Al a Carte basis as I have heard too many good things, but a Sunday visit wont be happening again soon.

1  Thank Loiner71