“Spot-on for Sunday lunch”
Review of The Red Lion Pub

The Red Lion Pub
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Knapton
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 25 October 2015

My wife keeps a short list of "shall we try" pubs in our area, based largely on word-of-mouth or TA reviews. This week it was the Red Lion's turn. Nearly got off to a bad start, as I had confidently decided that we needn't book! Bad move - although we arrived at 12-30, the car-park was already three-quarters full, and at first it looked as if they could not fit us in. After a conflab between two of the staff however, we were offered the use of a high table and chairs, which was no great issue to us. Our drinks were brought promptly, and within a couple of minutes we were called through to the carvery section. There was a choice of four meats and several veggies plus roasties. Everything looked very tasty and so it proved to be. My wife has a medical condition that on occasions affects one of her hands badly and I was so busy helping myself to food that I had not realised she was struggling to manage her plate. The very pleasant lady running the carvery helped her and even carried her plate back to our table. Later on I watched her do the same for several older and infirm customers. Well done.
Our meal was absolutely spot on. We cleared everything and the service was friendly and prompt throughout. The price is perhaps towards the top-end of our Sunday lunch experiences, but the meal was very good indeed and we will return. We will make sure to book next time!

1  Thank Stephen J

Reviewed 24 October 2015 via mobile

Had another great meal with friends but decided to go early evening to avoid the probable rush later in the evening. Started with a beer and switched to wine with the meal. The pork and apple pie was as delicious as the service was friendly and efficient. This is a gem of a place to eat but probably best to book to avoid disappointment.

2  Thank ChrisSwa
Reviewed 17 October 2015

Lovely village pub come restaurant, cosy atmosphere and warm welcome by the friendly staff. The menu is excellent and not overpriced, with interesting options on the specials bored. Very good.

1  Thank Sue T
Reviewed 15 October 2015

Need to book a table for Sunday lunch which is a carvery.
Arrived early so sat and had drinks until table was vacant.
The table which we were shown as ours was taken by 3 middle aged ladies who informed us they had moved as the table they were seated ot was chilly when the door opened and guess what yes we ended up having to sit at it and yes it was chilly.
We did not have a starter and then you are informed when you can go up to get your lunch.You are served a choice of meat onto a very hot plate and then help yourself to a good choice of vegetables, gravy etc.I had gravy delivered to the table as I am gluten free.
Good selection of wines and some on special.
Too full for pudding.

2  Thank ann52015
Reviewed 7 October 2015

Coming over to visit York from the U.S., I was invited by friends to join them for afternoon Brunch at this establishment. A short drive out of York Center made this a memorable dining experience. The Carvery offered a huge selection of meats and vegetables. The ingredients were fresh and flavorful. The desserts are a must! Despite some negative ratings on Trip Advisor, I feel this is definately worth a visit!

1  Thank John A