“Do not bother”

The Alice Hawthorn
Price range: US$5 - US$31
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Alice Hawthorn is a 220 year old inn that has been the focal point of the village of Nun Monkton as long as anyone can remember.
York, United Kingdom
“Do not bother”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

First I'd like to start by saying this is my 3rd time here, the restaurant is a lovely placed in lovely village and the food is normally spot on. That's where it ends, everything else about this place is disappointing now it's been taken over by new owners.
My family and I, which my little boy and inlaws went for a special meal on 29th June, Sunday lunch.
The first part of the disappointment was the staff at the bar, clearly very stressed and unhappy. While I was at the bar the staff where arguing over, where the card machine was, where the jugs where for the milk and he was also moaning about the coffee machine wasn't working! Just what you want to hear on a nice relaxing sunny Sunday :-( bad start!
We got to are table which seemed to have about 5 flies flying round are heads. Then the menu came, for Sunday lunch we had the option for roast beef, mackerel or veggie risotto. Which I don't like any of those, which is my fault I should have checked the menu before going.
I asked if they had any other meat, even just a chicken breast, but no! The weird thing is they had crackling without the pork, so I ordered veggie Sunday lunch with crackling :-/.
When the food came the disappointment really kicked in: the gravy was sooooo sweet, my little boy wouldn't eat his at all! I couldn't eat the gravy also, which didn't really matter as all I had was 1 Yorkshire pudding, 2roast potatoes and carrots an peas, how boring! The beef on the other dinners was so tough, I felt sorry for my mother in law trying to give hers away to the men. Which then wouldn't take. The stressed out waitress asked if everything was ok, the in laws said yes. I didn't look up, my little boy said no it's disgusting he's only 4. I didn't say anything because my in laws don't feel comfortable with saying, and it was a treat for them.
When the bill came I was shocked to see they had charged use £13 for my meal, which I clearly didn't eat and enjoy. The rest of the dinners where £16 each, I would be embarrassed charging that price for that low standard of food.
As the week went on I though I need to phone and talk to the manager, which was a waste of time! To cut a long story short, all she said was she was sorry, it was the first week of opening and she wasn't there was didn't really know how it went. Maybe if she was there the poor staff would know what's going on and wouldn't have been so stressed. She also said give it a few week and try them again when there more sorted, I replied it's not worth the 15min drive to be honest.
Bad food
Bad management
Stressed staff
And not the forget the flies!!!

1 Thank Amy W

Harrogate, United Kingdom
“What a mess the Alice is now”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

What a shame - Having changed hands I waited several weeks to visit - the decor is a bit of a mess now - you can tell the new manager does not have the same eye for detail as the previous team. We were treated very oddly - by the guy behind the bar who was clearly totally stressed out - it was a challenge to find something on the menu i wanted to eat ( and i am not fussy) but then ordered Plaice - but then when we ordered we were told it was finished (perhaps tell us before we choose??) so ordered fish and chips which were anaemic and greasy - the service continued to be extremely un nerving and the whole experience was …. odd
Not sure this new time have got it right at all
the only shining star was Jenny - the warm, professional and intelligent bar person - thanks Jenny you made an odd night survivable

2 Thank tinacatling
hull
“lovely food”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I visited here with my daughter and enjoyed a lovely sunday lunch. We started with soup, which was very tasty followed by roast beef, yorkshire pudding, roasties and all the trimmings in a rich gravy. We didnt have much room left for a pudding, so we decided to share, we went for the raspberry eton mess with ice cream, couldnt fault it. Its a lovely place to visit in the countryside, staff very helpful and great food, we will look forward to our next visit.

2 Thank karen L
“Great food in a relaxed atmosphere”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Really loved our first Alice Hawthorn experience today for sunday lunch. Lovely rare cooked beef and Yorkshire pudding preceded by pork terrine and mussels, washed down with a lovely French red wine. Relaxed atmosphere in pretty village setting helps, with good friendly service.
Will be going back again. Need to get more local beers on in time and it would be good to map out a cycle route from York to Nun Monkton, it would make a perfect sunday cycle venue from York.

2 Thank Helen-shiels
York, United Kingdom
“Really loved it!!!!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

If ever you are around York then it is must that you visit the Alice Hawthorn in Nun Monkton, excellent food, excellent friendly staff and ecellent surroundings. I had the chicken pie and have never tasted one as good as this. We deffiately will be going back for more.

1 Thank P3t3r65