“Conference at Solway”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Masterton
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Conference at Solway”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

LIC stayed at the Copthorne Solway from the 5th - 8th August and it was amaing. The staff were fantastic and very helpful. The Conference planner, Jacqui Hoar was fantastic and nothing was a bother or a problem, she was totally awesome.
The venue was fantastic for a large conference of 160 and you could not fault the facilities re the dataprojectors, screens etc that we used. Rooms were big and great and also very clean. Food was totally amazing. I would recommend these facilites to anyone organising a conference.
Warm regards, Debra Russell, LIC

Room Tip: All rooms were great for a large conference
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Thai first
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Stayed overnight on business. The room was very comfortable, and the resturant was excellent. Overall this hotel is ok although it doesnt have a particularly friendly feel. This doesnt affect the stay too much it just doesnt have a welcoming feel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Wellington
Reviewed 11 August 2013

overall good facilities & room. restaurant excellent on evening however woman at breakfast needs some improvement on her customer service skills. She treated us like we were an irritation to her. she tainted an otherwise good stay

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 August 2013

A wonderful stay. The rooms were well presented, clean and comfortable. The staff where well informed, pleasant and helpful. There is a large number of Facilities and services available.

Both the Restaurant and Café had excellent service and their food is well cooked and presented.

All round the two night stay was excellent and by no means this was assisted by an exceptional venue and staff.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
NZ
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I thought I would share my experience staying at the Copthorne recently.

After beginning an 8 hour travel through Auckland rush hour traffic on a Friday 3.30pm to arrive in Masterton at 11ish I was relieved to arrive at the Copthorne. I had called ahead to make sure my arrangements had been made and to inform of late check in.

As I approached the sliding doors, I was grinched at immediately by the woman at reception. "that is no way to greet & treat customers!" her reply: "Oh its ok Im off the clock now, and you weren't who I was expecting". Not impressed.

Arrive at suite @ 11.30pm - unpacked 3 kids (Masterton winter cold) tucked them in, reached over to use the remote to find ANTS in my bed. I had squashed about 20, and requested a room change. Not Impressed.

11.50pm - Reception again. Re-packed children who are now crying and being a big pain. "ma'am I am trying to find you a suite, but they are fully booked, so I'll give you an apartment. You wont have to pay the extra for sleeping in there" ..... UMMM I just had ants in my bed, kids in car again, and you want to inform me that you are doing me a favour? I said nothing. Graciously accepted the keys and drove to the apartment. ANnoyed!

12.20 am - At least we got an upgrade... right??? WRONG! Down graded room. Arrive to the room we can see rips in curtains, enter to find an old tired decor room and a visible stain on the top cover of the bed. A cleaned stain, but a visible stain nonetheless. It has a kitchen, an old queen bed, and 2 single beds that are arranged so that they are not against a wall. Not good for two toddlers. Crash out. Wake up to daughter falling out of the single bed, so get ready to give them a bath. 7am. Open bathroom door - no bath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my initial arrangements when I called yesterday.

7.05am Little sleep, walking to reception again to get a suitable suite. At least the woman here was apologetic and offered us free breakfast. Kind of happy.

So, within 8 hours, 2 rooms, atrocious service due to lack of attention to detail, and customer service skills.

10am arrive at breakfast. Grateful for that. Smiling and trying to get over that I am exhausted. Seat my children with their food, and begin to get my own food when " excuse ma'am but are you in room 1 & 2 because you should not be eating the cooked breakfast!" my reply " aaa NO and we are eating the cooked breakfast thank you very much". Embarrassed I have just been slightly rude in front a half filled room. Annoyed as I am now looking around the room to the audience of people, and am now thinking, is this because we are the only Maori family in here??? I don't pul the race card, but this woman needs a talking to.

SO PISSED OFF I can not even enjoy my free breakfast.

Then the same woman stood watching us eat 4 metres away!!! For the entire time!

Finished breakfast, and as we exited she turned her nose up and looked the other way, and snarled " great ". No "good day" "was your breakfast ok" "sorry about the mistake". NO NO NO. Just great! Great that we were leaving I presume!

This weekend was not the most expensive weekend, I didn't faulk out the world and expect to have a mansion. I wanted a relaxing retreat, just like on the internet, just like on your billboard. This experience has left me feeling very sour towards the once reknown Solway that it used to be. All I can say is, the customers are the reason your staff have jobs. If they do not understand that, then you will turn customers away.

I actually look forward to your reply.

FYI now I don't look forward to your reply since you deleted my post from FB. I will contact the General Manager.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank nzpanz
JerryCrump, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Solway Park, Wairarapa, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Hi Pania, Thank you for taking the time to place a review. We apologise for the inconvenience you received with your rooms and the misunderstanding at breakfast. We take all customer comments seriously and aim to provide excellent service to all our customers therefore your post and review will be discussed with the staff and management. If you would like to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact me jerry@solway.co.nz
With regards Jerry Crump, General Manager
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Copthorne on Saturday 27 July 2013. We had booked a King room - which was clean, tidy and well furnished. The facilities at the Copthorne are fantastic – there is a driving range, squash courts, swimming pool, spa, gym, tennis courts and extensive grounds to explore. We used all the amenities, even the on-site restaurant: “The Grill”. We enjoyed a delicious meal and quick/friendly service. The only down-side to the trip was the inability to use the squash courts on Sunday morning prior to 10am. You need to obtain keys from the cafe and unfortunately this does not open until 10am. A quick call to reception confirmed that they do not have spare keys, so we were unable to play prior to the 10am check out. But this was the only unfortunate experience on an otherwise fantastic trip away.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Great two nights with our 7 year old and 2 year old while I was on a work conference at solway. We had a room with two queen beds and it still felt spacious. We recommend the grill restaurant and a great choice of kids meals at a reasonable price. The kids loved the private spa. A great family getaway that is child friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Masterton
The White Swan
#2 of 11 in Masterton
ASURE Masterton Motor Lodge
ASURE Masterton Motor Lodge
#6 of 11 in Masterton

Been to Copthorne Hotel & Resort Solway Park, Wairarapa? Share your experiences!