“honesty prevails” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver
“honesty prevails”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Well, it's been awhile since I have written and our holiday has been too. We were in Bucerias again in February and had an amazing 15 days in the Royal Decameron resort. The cleanliness is unsurpassed and the wait staff are friendly and helpful, always trying to make you feel special. When we checked in, I wasn't happy with the location of our room and was promised the one that I liked for the next day. Two days after our move, I realized that I had forgotten my duty free cigars in the night stand. Two hours after inquiring at the front desk they were delivered to me!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank guschka

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,185)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

We have just returned from RDC and would like to say what a good hotel complex it is the room we had in block 4 was spacious and clean in a central location for all main areas, it was kept clean on a daily basis only addition would be a mini bar/fridge in room and free use of room safe but this does not affect the stay . There are plenty of pools to choose from including an adult only pool and pool 1 where the daily sports activities take place which I enjoyed (the animation team that look after this were excellent and worked very hard every day which being sporty made my time very enjoyable ) this included daily competitions,games and even fun games while watching the world cup including some great prizes . There are several different al a carte dining areas which cater for various eating tastes including our favourites the piccolo and rodizio with fantastic waiting staff all friendly and very efficient . we attended the shows on several nights some were average but the shows that the dance animation team put on were very good. In summary this hotel is great value for it's 3 star plus grade (would beat most 4 and some 5 star hotels), the hotel staff are very polite and friendly ,the pools are all good size and clean , the food has a wide choice, there are plenty of bars to drink in and if like me you like your pool sports and games the animation team are excellent .Meet some great people in this resort and enjoyed every minute Would return tomorrow if I could .

Room Tip: block 4 or 5
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank colin_tea
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I was at the Royal Decameron from July 3-10, 2014. It was a last minute decision with Air Transat. Good value with airfare, ground transportation, and all inclusive resort right by the town of Bucerias, not far from Puerto Vallarta. It is an older resort, but very colorful and very clean, and well maintained. The staff is excellent, and in my experience always friendly and helpful. I found the food at the buffet restaurants excellent with lots of choice. I did not try any of the specialty restaurants, so cannot pass an opinion on those. The resort is made up of 6 blocks and I was in block 1 facing the Pacific Ocean. It is a fantastic view from the third floor. I cannot complain. All the blocks have swimming pools, and there is an adults only pool by block 5. The room itself was smaller than what I've experienced at other resorts, but it was very clean with a comfortable bed, flat screen TV with cable. The bathroom has a shower, no tub, but was also very clean. Hair dryer in the bathroom. Bottled water in the bathroom also. There is no mini fridge in the room, nor iron or ironing board, so be sure to have them with you if you travel to this resort. But, there are plenty of drinks at the bars, so really no need for a mini fridge. Also no umbrella in the room, which some resorts do provide. Free wifi in the lobby of the resort. There is one theatre and one discotheque, and all the shows that I attended were great. The beach is very long and great for walking and exploring. Do walk as far as you can to see homes and some other resorts. The ocean when I was there was warm and great to swim in. Exploring the town of Bucerias, which is right outside the resort entrance is a great experience. Do go on foot and walk as much as you can. I say on foot, because the roads are quite bad, and on a bike you would spend a lot of time concentrating on biking and missing the sights. The people in the town that I saw and met are all friendly and open to questions. You see the difference between the "haves" and the "have nots" quite clearly, but this is all worth the experience. I took lots of pics. For recommendation, I will say > check out this resort in the town of Bucerias and enjoy the peaceful environment. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: If you can, get an ocean view room in Block 1 on the third floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Robert L
kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Overal i would say the holiday was pretty good. Unfortunately the first couple of days were overcast and humid which made it a little dull but after that the weather was top notch.

The food was really good - always something to eat in the buffet, even if you had to default to a burger and chips - but the mexican and brazilian restaurants were really good.

The sunbed situation was a bit of a disappointment, uncomfortable plastic beds with no cushions - many people opted for a lilo to lay on which looked a good idea, I just couldn't be bothered and chose to swim.

The resort has a number of pools - however the most relaxing was the adult only pool which is where my girlfriend and I spent most of our time. The other pools are ok, if you want to hear drunken Canadians shouting obscene language about ducking her right in the woosy (changed for sake of using language on here :D ) STrip definaately need to keep a tighter leash on these kids getting wasted - the girls were often better than the boys but still, was a shame. Especially in the evening when you chill out in the covered bar (the one open until 1am) and all you get is stumbling, shoting teenagers - I could have gone to Magaluf if i fancied some of that :D

The beach was very nice, gets a little choppy at times but that makes it all the more fun, the only downside being the vendors asking you every 5 minutes if you want to buy something - i felt like saying, "you asked me 5 minutes ago i haven't changed my mind since then!!!"

Staff were friendly and polite and maintained the gardens immaculately, were approachable and always serving with a smile on there face. The lady who comes round serving drinks in the covered bar (the one with the tv's) was especially good and we tipped her as often as we could - she was great and I hope many of you continue to tip her!

Overall, would my partner and I return? Probably not - however I will look back on it with good memories - just need STrip to get their act together with those drunken Canadians :p

One last and final point - Thompson, jesus, put your hands in your pocket - that Taxi to the airport was ridiculous. It had no air con at all - luckily i got the front seat in front of the fan, however I was told it was mad in the back in terms of heat and the couples that came out the back sure looked like they were hot! Definitely could do with spending an extra few quid on a better minibus lol

Room Tip: Block 5 is the place to be, overlooking the adults pool - if you wan't to hear sexual activities...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jermaindefoe
Tring Herts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

We travelled here with Thomson for two weeks from 21/6/14 to 5/7/14. The flight on the much hyped Dreamliner was a big disappointment. Yes- there is more leg room but what they don't tell you is that the seats are narrower and with the 3-3-3 seat configuration it meant that we basically spent the entire 11.5 hour flight with our elbows pinned to our ribs with little room to move and it would have been extremely uncomfortable for anyone of a reasonable size. Arrival at Puerto Vallarta was good however be warned that they are people who will stop you just before you get out into the arrivals hall and make like they are with your tour company, in fact they will try and sell you trips and can be quite pushy and are nothing to do with Thomson.
The access road to the hotel is not very attractive but once at the hotel we were processed in a friendly efficient manner and thankfully quickly as we were tired. We had room 4226 in Block 4 overlooking the pool near the beach. we found this to be an ideal location and easy to get to everything. It was a large room with a huge bed, although a bit hard for my taste,a good hairdryer. very well maintained throughout our stay and good air conditioning albeit a very noisy unit.It was overlooking the pool with a sea view as well. This is a big hotel and has six pools but we chose the adult only quiet pool which was a lovely big pool made up of several individual pools linked by shallow connecting shelves, There are plenty of sunbeds available but they have no mats on them so strongly recommend that you go across to the shops outside where you can get lilos as cheap as 60 Pesos (£3) for a basic one. added bonus is that if the bed in your room is just too uncomfortable then you can put the lilo on top and sleep on that...it works! all the staff without exception were great, friendly and spoke good English and even helped me with my Spanish. The food was generally ok, Breakfast was the best but like most all inclusives the food can become repetitive but i never went hungry. There are several speciality restaurants but we just couldn't be bothered getting up at 7am of a morning just to secure a booking.we did manage to try the Japanese restaurant and that was very good.The beach is lovely and the Pacific Ocean was surprisingly warm but could get quite rough but great for the body surfers on those days. There are many traders wandering up and down the beach trying to sell various things but a polite refusal is all that is needed. The gardens around this large complex were lovely and very well maintained by the dedicated team of gardeners. Of course then there are the Iguanas of which there are many , they love being fed with fruit and salad and can be seen making their way up and down the various trees in the resort and are really quite funny. Us Brits were definitely in the minority in this hotel which i personally enjoyed. Mostly Mexican families and Canadians with a few Americans. Everyone got along well, however this is where the big BUT comes in. On our second week we were amazed to see 450 Canadian students turn up on what they call a Grad trip. They appear to have completed Secondary School and aged 17 & 18 and have come down on a trip organised by a company called S-Trip. They were all drinking constantly,drunk most of the time, were rude,disrespectful and had no consideration for other guests particularly when they came back from their nightly excursions in the early hours and were a disgrace to their country. Numerous complaints were made to the Management of the hotel by many guests and whilst the management were very sympathetic and did their best to try to sort things out by various means it was a slow process resulting in nothing much being achieved until the final day or so of our, and their holiday. However this hotel is big enough that we just went to the quiet adult pool during the day and an alternative bar at night in which we were able to avoid them. So i can not fault this hotel on any level excluding these student guests.friendly staff, big bedrooms, spotlessly clean, good food, excellent facilities, lovely beach and plenty of iguanas! Saying Hi to the friends we made, Nicky and Clive, Ernie and Yvonne and of course our unforgettable American friends, Betsy and Angela for making pool time just one big social gathering

Room Tip: Block four was ideal location, close to the beach, restaurants and quiet adult pool, and second floo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank JuleeMango
San antonio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

The service here is horrible, it is so unorginized. It was unbelievable at how slow they got our rooms to us because they werent clean on time. I asked for a room next to my daughters and i was placed 2 floors away from them. Worse hotel ever. Not even the view could make up for it.

• Stayed July 2014
9 Thank Stephaniesandddd
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Our family just returned from a week at the Royal Decameron. We stayed June 28 - July 5th. This was our third visit to the RDC in the last six years and we have never been disappointed. The resort is still very clean and well kept, with immaculate grounds. The staff is wonderful. The food isn't five star, but is plenty good enough, and the drinks are good and flow freely. There are several very clean pools, so you can always find a quiet spot, or a loud spot, or an active spot -- whatever your vacationing heart desires. This trip, family that we traveled with had a few issues with their room, as did we, but the staff were friendly and helpful while all problems were resolved. The weather wasn't fantastic, but we still had a wonderful time.

We ate at the Piccolo, which was very good as always, as well as the Rodizio and the Wok. The Rodizio is a meat extravaganza and can be of varying quality. The Wok was not good, but it wasn't bad either. I don't think I'd eat at the Wok again, and that was the consensus among the seven of us that ate there.

I won't comment much on the entertainment because it isn't really my cup of tea anyway. I went to two shows and both were consistent with the entertainment I've seen elsewhere in Vallarta and in Cuba.

My only complaint - and it isn't the resorts' fault - is that the resort was overrun with 300 high school grads. All in all, they were fairly well mannered and not too bothersome, though many were extremely drunk. The problem was that, as teenagers do, they traveled in herds. So, wherever they showed up, you had no choice but to put up with the drunken noise or relocate. We stayed in Building Five, far from the beach, and luckily the S-Trip crowd never made it that far. Otherwise, a great trip and a great resort.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Callicles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bucerias
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#41 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa La Estancia
Villa La Estancia
#1 of 3 in Flamingos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,232 reviews

Been to Royal Decameron Complex? Share your experiences!