“Things to note”

Royal Decameron Complex
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bucerias
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Tho we had lovely time have few issues firstly no fridges in rooms no air con in public places ie reception and restaurants booking system for said restaurants is hopeless do not do coca cola only Pepsi and kids in adult pool

7  Thank pauldainty09
Write a ReviewReviews (5,101)

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Flight:-
Flew on new Dreamliner, much improved from previous long haul flights, although meals could still be improved and drinks are very expensive.
Travel from airport:-
Travel company Vallarta Adventures seem to pounce as soon as you leave the luggage area offering brochures and wanting you to book trips. Take the brochure tell them you haven't decided yet, they're not too pushy and move on to coaches.Transfer time was approx half an hour.
Hotel:-
Reasonably quick and efficient check in process. Very friendly and approachable front reception.
Hotel is meticulously clean and well maintained although on first impressions rooms are a little dated. Free wif-fi available in lobby area.
Staff:-
All very friendly and helpful even though we were 6 of only 34 British guests present at the hotel! This did not phase us as we do not like travelling to a foreign England! The hotel seems to be mainly occupied with Mexican guests, followed by Canadian, USA and Colombia.
All credit to bar staff at the Fiesta Bar, Victor (daytime) & Olegario (evening) who worked very hard and always had a smile.
Food:-
Mainly traditional Mexican food served, but always found something to eat even with the picky eaters of the family. Each night had a theme at the two buffet restaurants, food was alway hot, fresh and checked regularly. There were 5 speciality restaurants for which we sampled 3. The only downside to this was the booking process which involved standing in a queue at 6am, to be issued a number at 7.30am and start booking at 8am. No-one wants to get up at 6am on holiday, if anything this needs sorting out. The food however at each we tried was excellent and well presented.
Pools/Beach:-
There are 5 pools, the biggest being the adult only. All of a similar depth 1.37m, very warm and very clean, open 9am-7pm. Plenty of sunbeds both at the pool and on the beach, but to get the shady areas you have to be up early as people have taken to reserving beds! Beach was clean, water warm although a little seaweedy at times, so not the crystal waters of the Caribbean. Sometimes a little wavy but nothing to worry about, beach gently shelving into water.
Entertainment:-
The hotel had a resident annimation team and dancing crew. All worked very hard and tried to include all guests. The evening shows were set in an amphitheatre so seating was a little hard on the behind. Suggest you go next door to the disco before entering the show area to get a drink as it can be very hot. The dancers were very entertaining, shows and costumes excellent, although did not particulary like the audience game show or Miss Decameron show but appreciate the dancers need a night off.
Disco open after the show for dancing but ufortunately children not permitted so we couldn't attend.
Trips:-
We did not participate in any trips mainly because most involved a boat which I don't like. Also they were very expensive and require you to pay extra for a taxi to the pick up point. Not sure if this is a travel company thing ie. Thomson/First Choice trying to make more money or a local problem. We did however participate in a 3hr horseride in the mountains, booked on the beach with Raul. We also walked into Bucerias town which took around half an hour, there was a main square and a few market type stalls and bars. We took the local bus to Puerto Vallarta, cost 14 pesos each. This took you just outside the town and then you could either walk in, another half hour or get another bus for 10 pesos each to the centre. Puerto Vallarta is beautiful, there are many bars and restaurants, shops and a flea market. Remember to exercise your bartering skills.
Overall:-
We had a very enjoyable holiday, weather was great, got the odd thunderstorm which we expected and humidity was very high at all times. Would recommend.

Room Tip: I emailed the hotel prior to travel as I wanted two rooms next door to each other. I received a prom...
5  Thank SSIGD
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We booked the trip back in March. We stayed July 8 through the 15. This has been are second stay at this resort. And are 5th time going to P.V. area.

Let's start off getting there we booked though local travel agency that went though Funjet. We used AA airlines to get their. On the plane they didn't pass out the immigration cards on the plane so we had to do this in the ramp area at the airport after we landed. This was a mess trying to fill out 5 of them for all of us. First time ever not getting them on the plane and having them filled out before we landed.

Next thing we meet up with the Funjet rep at the airport for are transfer to he resort. Which was IslandSun Experience. Which we always had Funjet reps that dressed in flower shirts. Not a problem yet. we got to the resort.

Now the resort! We went to check in and that went fine until we got to the rooms. They gave us 2 king size rooms. When we booked the trip we marked down two double bed rooms. So we went back down to the desk to fix the problem and they had no double bed rooms. And told us that we needed to come back down in the morning and they would have it fixed for us. And they would bring up a extra bed for one of the rooms. But they didn't. They didn't have any left. So we had to sleep with 3 boys in one bed ( me 40, son 19, another 10) which was not fun! And I was not going to have all 3 kids in the same bed (2 boys and a 18 year old girl) so I stayed withe the boys.

The next day we went back down to the desk like they told us to do and they didn't have no double rooms again. And no extra bed! This went on everyday until the last two days we gave up going down there. So we didn't get what we wanted. And played hell for a week and never sleep in the same bed with my wife while we was there.

The resort was packed to the gills with mostly high school grads that came through a group from Canada. The chaperons was just bunch of 20 somethings that was watching them. Which they didn't do a very good job at it. The kids where rude and drunk all the time. I would never let my kids go through a travel company like that. And I suppose that is why we didn't get are double beds or a extra bed. The resort had double rooms when we booked are trip!

That is the biggest complaint about the resort that we have.
1. Booked double beds and not get them.
2. Do something with that group they ruined a lot peoples trip.
3. Getting up early in the morning to book for the special restaurants. At least you could book for 2 days in a row.

The food was good at all the places and buffets. The late snack bar never open on time. They need more options for young kids that are picky eaters.

So as the resort goes everthing was good except for not having the rooms that I booked!

My other biggest problem with this trip was Funjet Rep that was signed to us. IslandSun Experience. We was suppose to meet with him the night we got there but was not there. Use to that though from being there before. So waited until the next day and nothing. For one needed to give them are info for are flight home. And also wanted to book trips through them because my 10 year old has only been there once before. So I called are rep and they said they will be at the resort the next morning. He would give me a call when he got there. So the next day he calls at 8am and tells me where to meet him and he will only be there for a half hour. so I ran down there and sat for a hour and he never showed up. So I was pissed. I called the company couple days before it was time to head home to make sure that they where going to pick us up for are transfer to the airport.
They took all of are flight info down and said that they would watch are flight for any cancellations or anything else. And the rep would meet us at 5:30am on checkout day in the lobby for transfer. So I ask them do I need to call the airline the night before to make sure that are flight all ok. They said I didn't need to bother with that. They would take care of it and enjoy are last day. And they would call my cell phone if there was any problems.

Well it came time to leave we go and check out. Set there wait for the rep he showed up 15 mins late. Told us he was sorry he didn't make it to the resort during the stay. He said since we where the only ones booked through them there he had to choice spend more time at another resort that had more guest that was going through them! At this point whatever just want to go home. He said are flight is on time put us in a taxis sent us on are way.

Get to the airport and find out that are flight was cancelled due to weather the afternoon before in Dallas airport. So we ended up on a flight to come home at 4pm.

So becuase I didn't call the airline myself to check on are flight. And listen to that company saying they would check all that out for us. We spent from 6:15am to 4:30pm at the airport. If I known that I would have paid for late check out or if had too spent another night at the resort. But we spent the hole day at PVR airport.

Would I go back too this resort? I don't know depending on if they are going to have the rooms I booked. And not going to go through Funjet if they go though that company.

We will be back to PV next year but prob at a new location.

4  Thank Jerry_Bruce
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We traveled for my girls 18 and 16th b days in July. A lot of families there, primarily Mexican families, approximately 330 Canadians. Lots of activities in the complex from stretching classes, water aerobics, beach volleyball, dance lessons, water volleyball, pool games, contests etc. We played in the "International Olympics" which consisted of a variety of team activities! Kids loved it! We went kayaking on the ocean several times, swam in the ocean and fully participated in all the resort had to offer. in the evening there was always some kind of themed entertainment, kareoke and a professional dance show at 930! If you want something more quiet, block 5 had an adult only pool.
The entertainment staff were so friendly and energetic! Food was food, primarily buffet Mexican style, we had difficulty getting into the a la cart restaurants until we chatted with a manager (we wanted to celebrate the 16th bday in the Italian Restaurant) Rooms were the ONLY air conditioned area and it felt great! Things are very hot and humid in July! Sit close to the pool or the beach! My only real complaint was that there was no pool side service.....one had to get out of the pool or off the lawn chair to get a drink!

2  Thank susanbdaygirls
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Our room was on 3rd floor of block 5 on the very end corner. Even though it was the 3rd floor we had 4 flights of stairs because of the landscape. There was no elevator. The rooms are not insulated for sound or temperature. There was a restaurant right behind us and you could here them clanking things around at all hours. Check in was horrible they couldn't find our room first them didn't tell us where anything was or when things were offered. Our room was cleaned twice in 6 days. We took tours and would leave at 7 am returning at 530 pm and the room would still be dirty. They would knock around 630-7 and ask if we still wanted it cleaned, The al a cart restaurants had to have reservations which you could only get at 730 am. they said they give out 50 reservations but they only gave out 32 the day I went down. I was told there you needed to be in line around 630 or you wouldn't get a reservation. The al a carts would tell you they were full if you showed up even if they only had one person in the dining room. Buffets were good but didn't have much variety of food. Deserts were not good. Dining/drink staff was really nice but all other staff were rude and hard to work with. 85% or more of the guest were Hispanic and did not speak english so you could really only talk to the people you came with. Would not reccomend this hotel. Do not plan on going back.

Room Tip: If you have a hard time with stairs don't go to this hotel. most rooms back up to some kind of k...
3  Thank Chris K
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We had a great time!
Pros: price is hard to beat, food overall was great, rooms kept very clean, staff is very nice, grounds kept up well, iguanas all over the place, lots of beach, lots of lounges on the beach to choose from, free boogie boards and kayaks, free land sports, fun activities, great nightly shows, lots of pools

Cons: it's not a super upscale resort - it's old. But it is well maintained! It has, by American standards, a kind of scary looking entry off the highway. But it was just fine, I felt completely comfortable there. Room keys are actual keys with the room number stamped into them. So hold on tight!!! They come on a lanyard with a clip you can attach to your swimsuit and it won't come off. The beds are very hard.

Other notes: the 2 buffets are good but not fantastic. You must make reservations for dinner at any of the non buffet restaurants first thing in the morning or they get booked. Plan ahead and get a couple of days in a row. The Italian was my favorite - very professional/gourmet presentation and flavors. We are non-drinkers so I can't comment on the alcohol, but they make a virgin version of just about anything you want, and will mix any combination of soda and fruit flavor and ice that you can think of. All the fruit flavors are just that - flavoring not actual fruit. We found from other reviews that you can bring your own large cups to the bar and they will fill those up for you! It was worth it, since they otherwise come in 6 oz plastic cups. The nightly shows were fantastic. The dancers are very talented! My teenage sons particularly enjoyed the shows - that might be because of the little bitty costumes on the attractive girls though. :-)

All in all our family loved the vacation. Since we took all 5 of us, the price was unbeatable. I would return again.

7  Thank Karleen G
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We visited Royal Decameron Complex this July for one week. As always I will try to be honest with the review so other travelers may take from my comments what matters to them on a holiday. As we rarely travel All Inclusive this was a "no thought involved" hotel to visit which for this holiday, was exactly what we were looking for.

Pool: We stayed in Complex 5 (adult pool). I was impressed that they were diligent to keep kids out of the pool during our stay, as I had heard prior to visiting that it had been an issue in the past. They actually asked kids to leave if they ventured in. Thank you to the staff for that consideration :) The biggest downfall to the adult pool was they closed it at 7pm which many of the people there didn't like and spoke about it. It was still very hot out and people were reluctant to leave the pool. Especially if they had been out on an excursion all day and wanted to relax in the pool in the evening. The one staff member said it was for cleaning the pool, but in our week stay we only saw pool maintenance being done in the mornings as it was right outside our patio doors.

Food: The a la carte restaurants were good. Only down side was that a person had to be down to the desk, then stand in line to book them at 7-7:30am. It was only possible to book two at a time so you had to repeat the process every couple days. Personally I like to sleep in and relax but if you are an early bird I doubt this would be an issue. Drinks were good, no complaints there.

Internet: Biggest negative for me on this holiday was the lack of wifi in the rooms, and basically in the designated areas as well. The couple designated areas for wifi that I found. . .1 down near the check in desks and 1 in the lounge, . . we could never get online. Not sure if it was weak service provided or if it was just the mass amounts of people trying to log on as there were ALOT of people trying. It is the first hotel we have visited in years that does not provide wifi or wired internet in the rooms and for my work it is a necessity. I am not looking forward to my phone bill when it comes!!! This may not be a factor for all travelers as it is for us, but just giving a heads up to those that it is.

Rooms: The week stay was great overall. The staff was friendly and the premises were clean and organized. Rooms were basic but clean. The bed was firm but that is how we like it so all was good. We stayed on a floor level room and noticed a few bugs of sorts but nothing to freak out about. Just a couple of friends for the stay LOL

Creatures: There were iguanas everywhere on the premises. . .and I seriously mean EVERYWHERE! They were cool to watch and a couple even fell out of the trees (YIKES LOL) as well as a couple crawled into the pool. We weren't sure what we thought about the couple big ones that we saw right in the kitchen. . .where the food was being prepared ???

I will definitely go back for another visit hopefully by then they will have upgraded internet services and extended the hours for the pools. ;)

Room Tip: I would choose a room not on the main floor. less friends aka bugs ;) Also If I go back I would try...
4  Thank Sunster2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bucerias
Villa del Palmar Flamingos Beach Resort & Spa Riviera Nayarit
#16 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Bahia del Sol Resort
Bahia del Sol Resort
#27 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Royal Decameron Complex? Share your experiences!