“Would go again and again!”

Royal Decameron Complex
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bucerias
GreenLeadersGold level
Edmonton, Canada
“Would go again and again!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Went to this resort as a first time traveler. Aside from getting attacked at the airport (no prior warning to run through) the entire experience was great.

Pros: very clean grounds, the workers were always busy cleaning something. Very friendly staff. Huge very comfortable bed. The food, omg the food, so amazing! And this is the buffet food I'm talking about. The reserved restaurants were to die for too. Loved the adult pool. We were there every day, didn't even sit on the beach till the last day we liked the pool so much.

Cons: We tipped VERY generously yet no treats or even animal towels on our bed. One bottle of water a day. Having to go stand in line early in the morning to book the ala carts (sp?), I would rather my partner be back in bed with me lol. Other than the room, really no where to escape the heat with a/c. Drinks were very watered down. No mini fridges or coffee pots in the room.

Lots of locals but hey they need a vacation too!

Room Tip: Stay in the rooms by the adult pool.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Terri B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,218)
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2014

April 12 to 19, 2014 with group of five couples.
Room - boring old rooms, needs to be updated. No bathroom amenities except soap and toilet paper. Not enough storage for clothes. Room key (not card). Safe had key and was extra charge.
Hotel and grounds - fabulous, well-maintained landscaping, love bright, happy building colors.
Pools - five great pools with lifeguards. Chairs - plastic and very hard.
Wifi - intermittent availability, only available in two areas in complex.
Staff - everyone was excellent!
Drinks - cheap, generic mixes (never had this happen before in Mexico - the land of cheap alcohol). No napkins under drinks.
Food - buffets were good with lots of selections. Had to get up very early to book a la carte restaurants. Japanese and Thai were not good. Brazilian was excellent. Italian was superb.
Entertainment - a pleasant way to spend your evening.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank BurnabyGirl105
Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Me & my partner went there last month and were very happy with the resort. The staff were great, food was good and the rooms were clean. The rooms were basic and clean. There was no tea and coffee facilities or fridge. It did not bother us when spending little time in the room. We liked the fact it had 5 pools, several restaurants and bars. The only nag I have to make with the a la carte restaurants is that the booking system is rather old fashioned where you have to wake up early around 6.30 and go down and line up to make reservations. On our first day we had to line up for 1.5 hours which is certainly not something I want to be doing on vacation but I guess they do it this way to avoid there being to many people trying to book but think they can come up with a better system for this. We enjoyed block 5 with the adult only pool although it would be good if they kept the pools open longer as the adult only pool shuts at 7pm. The nightly shows were really good we went to 4 of them and they do a different thing each night of the week. We went for a relaxing break and that's exactly what we got, we did not feel the need to leave the resort as there was plenty going on and you can get food at almost anytime of the day too which is great. We would definitely consider coming back as comparing the price to others hotels this was a very good deal and speaking to other guests at the resort a lot of them had been before which says a lot.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ScotlandJenG
Kesgrave, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We knew the buildings were rainbow colours via internet etc, loved them!! immaculate gardens, and walkways etc. Polite staff,all were happy that worked extremely hard at all times.We wanted to try a new destination. We do not usually go to big complexes and this year was our first holiday without our children in 26 years so apprehensive on all levels. Good flight with Thomson on the new dream-liner, 12 hours plus one hour on runway ie to fix the air con but didnt worry us at all. Had asked for adult block 5. First night, hated the room No. 5106, ground floor, too close to pool & guests on sun loungers and backed onto disco and theatre (noisy) and next to cleaners cupboard (wakes you up at 6am). PLUS SIDE moved immediately on request and 13 lovely nights to follow in room 5323, 3rd floor up mid block, overlooking pool with teeny distant view of sea/beach! (room much recommended and thank you to staff for honoring our request and helping us to move).

We only used the adult pool, lucky during our stay 26 July to 9 August - very quiet with loads of free sun beds. Three parts to the pool we used the middle, always quiet, hardly used. Quiet bliss. We did risk this biggest resort being we were a couple but used the Tai restaurant for breakfast and lunch, always quiet. It was lovely seeing Mexican families on vacation when we did see them in the buffet restaurants. I would travel to this resort as a couple but would pick my timing, this I think was low season. Because we were exhausted by the heat we only did a couple of shows, Fantasia and the Mexican night which were amazing. Wished we had done more but maybe next time.

We cannot fault linen change, food, bottled water, or anything else to do with the complex. The beach was okay, if you really looked when walking along it, the top part was dirty. The sea is brown and very choppy. It knocked me over as the waves were crashing in so I didn't go in to swim. I knew the sea probably wouldn't be crystal clear and if we were bothered we wouldn't have tried the pacific side. One morning a local pointed out to sea and we saw dolphins swimming, we stood in awe of these beautiful creatures. (This was the sea along our bay outside the Decameron).

Trips: Walked to Buceries several times along the beach and pretty steet, looking at the wildlife and buildings. Met some lovely Mexican locals especially the wood carver man working over Buceries bridge. His carvings were fantastic. Several traders were TOO PUSHY, sorry caps but they were. However, the calmer traders were fun and good to talk to. (Vendors on the beach NEVER took no for an answer, got on my nerves if I was on my own. They didn't, for some reason bother my husband!!!). Anyway loved wondering around Buceries.

Went to Vallarta town and Marina, it was brilliant, lots of shops, statues and boats etc. We just got a taxi and went when we felt like it.

Trips: with Vallarta Adventures: Hidden Mexico, Sea Safari and Off Road Adventure. All totally fantastic. (Book with Vallarta in reception and not with Thomson Rep as they didnt have the trip we booked and without being told went on a speed boat instead of a catamaran?!.. wont detail on here for all to see but through experience would definitely book direct with Vallarta Adventures and easy to do so.... also given wrong pick up times and information via Thomson rep... luckily we checked on the off chance with the Vallarta receptionist otherwise we would have missed one of them! not good).

On these trips we visited mountain towns and the jungle, wildlife, nature and gardens. We saw beautiful beaches and crystal clear seas. by chance we saw a logger head turtle on the beach preparing to lay her eggs. Breathtaking. We visited an art gallery/home, tacos, pastries being made, horse riding, ancient stones. We loved every minute of these trips and met some truly wonderful holiday makers and wonderful Vallarta 'hosts'.

Mexico 10/10, Food 10/10 Weather amazing storms 10/10 as we took it as it came even though we were melting a times! Hotel/Staff etc 10/10. Trips (all) 10/10.

We always go ready to explore and to enjoy our adventure. We did amazing things and saw wonderful things. I lost count of how many species of butterflies I photographed

I do wonder if this resort would be too busy in high season for couples even with the adult pool area (Thank you life guards for keeping to this rule and getting the children out to use the other numerous pools). We saw one group of extremely rowdy visitors on one night but thankfully they then disappeared. I liked the fact blocks 1 and 2 had lots of activities going on for those that wanted it. A fantastic family resort, although we met some lovely couples in our block and also a great base for exploring Mexico.

Room Tip: For couples room 5323 recommended in block 5 adult pool area. hotel honored our request. Can be qui...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Sophie99
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This resort is absolutely one of the ones that I won't go back. I went to this resort two years ago but I felt a need to write few lines.This is not because of the service. the resort is really well kept and clean. The staff are working really hard and always have a smile on their face. they have good entertainment, a big nice disco, many pools and restaurants BUT...

Me and my partner don't mind going to disco and have fun sometimes. but this disco was full of families and the age range was mostly over 45. Very crowded and you can barely manage to get a drink from this bar.

The colour of the pool were dark blue which I prefer light blue. yes I am picky on the pool size and the colour of it. since it is vacation and you're working hard to make the best out of it, I should add that the pools do not satisfy this with the dark blue colour.

the ocean is harsh and windy and it is not blue. Although it is very beatiful and if you don't mind not having a torquise coloured ocean, then it is not that bad.

The complex is sooooooooooooo colourful which reminds you of a kindergarten. If you like to enjoy looking around and see mature happy colours with huge peaceful colour for pools, this is absolutely the oppsosite.

The resort itself looks like a paradise with everything being beside the water, all the palm trees, lobby bars, pavements. amazing.

if you are a couple who wants to enjoy and relax under the sun beside the beach, enjoy a nice prestigious pool, and have a decent party life in a nice disco, this resort is not recommended.
It is a very noisy resort with lots of kids and teenagers and mexican families. As I mentioned, there is not problem with any of this. but it is not relaxing if you're going as a couple.

Moroever, The tours and excursions are amazing. try the ziplining and you won't regret it.

Room Tip: the rooms that are facing the resort toward the ocean. quiet and nice. have a happy vibe to it.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Justbe H
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The first impression once we were in our room was Amazing since we got the beach front (it was on promo for the same price!), would highly recommend it (second or third floor). We felt like royalty as there is only one building on the beach front. We did not even care that it “rained” from the ceiling in our bathroom every time someone upstairs had a shower (luckily in the shower stall mostly).
The room was very basic but nice and clean, maids did a great job cleaning it at about the same time, we always left tips. The room did not have too many things, like fridge or mini bar (we never use it anyway), the first hotel that did not have shampoos or conditioners, but I never use cheap hotel brands anyway, always bring my own. Our room had plenty of soaps, washcloths and tons of towels different sizes. Overall the room was great: spacious, clean, always cool, so the only downside was the pipes problem.
Food was great, we tried all three restaurants and stayed at Flamingos most of the time because of the view and it was cooler. We were happy with buffets, so we did not bother with a la carte even though Air Transat rep Angelica told us we could just come to any restaurant in the evening and we should be seated within 10-15min (I guess they had too many complaints about early wake up time to reserve).
Drinks were good, not much alcohol, a few times I asked for doubles and they happily obliged, I left 20 pesos here and there, they appreciated it as not too many people left tips. I was surprised there was no pool side service like at other all inclusives but it did not really matter after all. Advice on brining your own insulated mug was very useful.
We walked to Bucerias but it was longer than I expected (or it seemed longer in a 40 degree heat). And there were no sidewalks on the freeway for most parts. My kid was exhausted by the time we reached the market. On the way back we walked along the beach, it was much nicer. Would have loved to take a bikes to Bucerias but unfortunately the hotel has no kids bikes.
Puerto Vallarta is a beautiful town. We got a free city tour but ditched the group after we realised they are taking us to ‘special’ places to sell things, like jewellery store, expensive restaurant and expensive tequila factory. We should have known better, it was free after all. It was great to walk around the town on our own and along Malecon. On the way back it was a fun (and hot) experience taking couple local buses back to the hotel. I would have liked to stay closer to the Puerto Vallarta next time.
The weather was extremely hot, it was my first time in Mexico in summer and I think I will stick with winter trips from now on. However the upside part was amazingly warm ocean. Loved the waves, but two people we spoke to got stung by jellyfish so my kid declined to go anywhere near the ocean, to my greatest disappointment.
The shows were AMAZING! We watched them every night and I was impressed by variety (themes, games, acrobatics, dances, singing, sea lion, fire play etc), costumes were fantastic. It was as if we went to 8 different Cirque du Soleil shows in one week! Some of the performers could easily work for them.
Hundreds drunken Canadian grads that some people mentioned about were not there, lucky for us. 95% of tourists were Mexicans (due to summer holidays), with big families and lots of kids, so it was busy and loud, we did not mind. Quiet time could be found by the adult pool.
I would highly recommend this hotel, it is the best one I have been to so far. Other hotels I’ve been to were higher ratings but either too big or too small. This hotel is just the perfect size, we enjoyed exploring the pools, beautiful beach and grounds and restaurants. We would have liked to come back.

Room Tip: Block 1 ocean front 3rd or 2nd floor has a great view!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Arinchik
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the RDC for a week in mid-July. Generally we go to Mexico in winter but thought we would experiment with a summer trip at an amazing price. This resort is missing some of the things you will find at other resorts (mini fridge, granite/marble bathrooms, a clock!), but I didn't feel like it changed my trip at all. The food is very good, and there is enough variety to keep you satisfied if you are not a picky eater. We didn't bother trying to get into a la cartes, as you have to line up around 7 and the process seems rather slow. Drinks are good. The rooms are fine--nothing fancy, but comfortable. AC is strong and very much needed in July. I had great luck with the wifi in lobby 4, especially in the morning. I have to say, the bedding was lovely. Nice cotton sheets and duvet covers--not some gross "never washed" polyester blanket like you find in many other places. Quiet pool was appreciated after a day of overindulgence....other pools and beach are nice too. I brought air mattresses after reading about plastic loungers, but never bothered using them. The chairs are fine. Great beach for walking.
We enjoy going into Bucerias for dinner and to buy amazing beaded crafts from the Huichol people in the town square. Barchaleta bar just up the road from the RDC is a good little place to grab a bottle of beer and awesome fish tacos as well.
For the hotel alone, I would probably give a 3 star rating. It's basic, but totally comfortable. However, the staff are really friendly and attentive. Such good service at the buffet and bars! Angel at the bar near the beach is the best! (Tip generously...they earn it!) Because of the service, I consider this resort a 4 star. Love the location too--great for people who like to venture off resort and explore other restaurants and such.
I would return here, but not in the summer. It was super hot and humid, and being from the prairies I found it uncomfortable, despite being a sun worshipper.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 4 and had garden, pool, and ocean view. Also has its own lobby/concierge and w...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank czamo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bucerias
Villa del Palmar Flamingos
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
#17 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,738 reviews

Been to Royal Decameron Complex? Share your experiences!