“Some real high points.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bala Bay Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bala
Bala Bay Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bala
“Some real high points.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay here, and most things met or exceeded my expectations. I know the area very well, but had never stayed here before. The common areas of the hotel are quite attractive; dining room, lobby, lounge, bar and patio. The hotel has a great sense of history and is well located, centrally in Muskoka. That said, it is old (part of its charm) and far from luxurious. My bedroom (and I assume all others) had a nice refresh - paint, linens etc. - but the bathroom was pretty rough. I can only imagine that the cost of redoing the bathrooms would be prohibitve for a seasonal place like this. Some might consider the high season rates to be out of line ($150+), but Muskoka is one of the most affluent tourist areas in the country so ths is about what I expected.
I enjoyed an excellent dinner on the patio - reasonably priced and delicious. The service in the restaurant was exceptional (five stars) as was the service at the desk. The staff are well trained - thoughtful, well versed in the menu and services, and genuinely engaging with their guests.

One easy (and I think relatively inexpensive) improvement would be better window coverings in the guest rooms. My room had very cheap plastic blinds that let in tons of street light at night, and had me awake at 6:30AM.

Overall the room was about what I had expected - just OK but the service, food and common areas had a lot of charm and rated a 4 or 5.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jennifer S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Oshawa, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

This was my first time in the Muskoka area and it was a surprise night away with my boyfriend at the Bala Bay Inn and the Tim Hicks show at the Kee. Upon first arriving at the hotel, you can tell that it has tons of character! Oh and can I mention how comfy the little couches are in the lobby - I should've asked where they got them from because they were super cute! Anyways, check in was a breeze and we stayed in room 210 for one night. Our room was small, but very bright and cheery and we had no hot water issues like a few other reviews have mentioned. The pub had a great atmosphere and the band that played there on Saturday night while we had an early dinner was awesome!! The food was plentiful and delicious and the Canadian poutine with maple syrup is to die for! :) If we're ever up in beautiful Bala again then we'll be sure to stay at the Bala Bay Inn because we had a great stay! Thanks! :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Oakville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just spent the weekend, yet again, another fabulous stay!! The food here is FABULOUS, the staff are bending over backwards to make sure your happy. Would not stay anywhere else but this hotel!!! Thanks Kim;)

• Stayed July 2014
Bala-Bay-Inn, Manager at Bala Bay Inn, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for your positive feedback Karen! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay, and that you felt very accommodated by the staff here at the Bala Bay Inn. We are also so glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal in our restaurant! As stated in our Mission Statement, as a staff we strive to make our customers feel like our most important priority, and we hope that all of our customers are repeat customers, such as yourself!

We hope to see you again soon, Karen!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Got married at Bala Bay Inn last weekend and I just want to say a BIG THANK YOU to everyone there! Special thanks to Tania and Shayla for helping me every step of the way.

We had our reception in both the lounge area and dining area and things operated so smoothly! As the bride, I didn't worry about a thing and had full confidence in the staff. They did not disappoint!

All of my guests raved about the food. The Prime Rib and Crackling Skin Chicken were AMAZING. Our late night poutine bar was such a hit. The bartender and staff did such an amazing job and were so warm and accommodating. The dining room was decorated perfectly... Everyone commented on how perfect the venue was.

All of guests booked rooms at the Inn and we didn't hear one complaint about the rooms. Everyone is still raving about how perfect this venue was for our wedding. We have about 70 guests who would love to come back!

Can't thank you enough, Bala Bay Inn! You made our day and this whole planning process absolutely perfect and I am so grateful!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Amy V
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

The Bay Bala Inn , used to be a great place to stay. They had their own excellent pizza place on location. They had a Juke box and a pool table. There use to be picture of the stars who played at the Kee To Bala concert hall on their bar room wall. You could bring guess up to your room in the day time.
ALL of that is gone , now. There is no pool table and your are at the mercy of the bar tender to what music you can listen too. I do like soft music but not all day and night. Don't let the rock posters on the wall fool you. They don't play any of those artist's music , so why are they on the wall?
I was staying with my wife and my brother and his daughters were staying some where else.
When my Nieces came to visit us during the day time we were told that my own teenage Nieces couldn't come up to our room for a short visit. We had to meet them in the lobby. Are you kidding me? There also many other petty rules that take all of the fun at staying in such a great location.
My wife and I will never stay there again. You pay way too much for a room in BALA that kills all of it's joy!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Regan F
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

We attended a friend's birthday party at the Bala Bay Inn and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is an historic building, so has a lot of character. The rooms are very comfortable and the staff is very helpful and friendly. The food was excellent, the patio and bar areas were a lot of fun. Would definitely return!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Navigate440
Orillia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

This 100 year old plus, hotel is past it's glory days however it does retain much of its historic charm. Much of the old dining areas inside remain the same as does the lobby. The bar areas are slightly renovated but still have that old ambiance. In the summer a large outdoors deck provides plenty of umbrella dinning. Friendly service makes this a must do to understand Bala and its history.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank mark m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bala
Residence Inn Gravenhurst Muskoka Wharf
#5 of 8 in Gravenhurst
Severn Lodge
Severn Lodge
#1 of 4 in Port Severn

Been to Bala Bay Inn? Share your experiences!