“not so worthy for the price”

Villaggio Cala La Luna
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I booked this hotel at a very high cost and was expecting high quality. The rooms were good clean and nice, but the worst thing were some of the guys in the reception. Two of the men at the reception were very impolite and I was irritated by their behavior. The ladies in the reception were very polite and helpful though. The internet speed was also terrible.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank babakint

Reviewed 28 September 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel (not sure what to call it) last week. The apartments are extremely large for the price you pay, and are kept spotlessly clean. I did not expect the staff to be able to speak English, but they could quite well, which helped a lot. We did not know the area whatsoever and the staff gave us advice on how to get to different places, and arranged bike hire for us, which allowed us to get out and see the beautiful corners of Favignana. I would definitely recommend Cala La Luna - it is a 3 minute walk from the lively but relaxed centre of the island, and due to Favignana's size is not too far from anywhere if you have a bike, scooter or car.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stephen A
Reviewed 14 August 2013

A great hotel, modern exceptionally clean, lovely restaurant and gluten free options if you ask for them. Swimming pool was excellent. You can get a transfer from the port to the hotel if you contact the hotel. Otherwise it's about a 20 minute walk.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I have stayed at Villaggio Cala La Luna 3 times now and have loved it every time! The hotel itself is beautiful and gives a real Mediterranean feel. The rooms are simple but wonderful. The staff are so friendly and make me feel like they really enjoy having me there. The staff have gone out of their way to help me with every question or favor every time. The breakfast is the best breakfast I have had in Italy. It is a perfect location, within walking distance of the city center and a close bike/scooter ride to all beaches. I will always stay at this hotel and am 100% satisfied!

Room Tip: if you have more than 2 people the apartments are perfect!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank linzy326
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We visited this hotel in May 2013 with some friends and had a great experience. It is very close to town and marina. The front desk was very friendly and helpful when we asked for suggestions on what beaches to visit, and where to eat. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. You can also rent bikes at the hotel, or they will call the skooter place in town to pick you up if you want to do that. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2013

My mother and I stayed at Cala La Luna for 4 days in the middle of May. We chose this hotel based on the positive reviews and that it had a pool. I fully agree with LesPicker's review (see below). We actually stayed there at the same time as him and his wife.

Favignana is a pretty island and this hotel is definitely one of the better ones. I was a bit surprised that there are not that many beaches on the island, so it was a plus to have a pool. This was our "sun vacation" so I was happy that we had a pool, otherwise I am not sure what we would have done!

The two women in reception were very nice, even though their English was not that great. I found it very bizarre that the WiFi only "worked" in the reception area and around the pool.

I had read in previous reviews that you needed to have a bathing cap in the pool, so we made sure to purchase them ahead of time. However, no one used them and the staff did not seem to mind. I am not sure if this rule is different during the summer months. It is true that they close the pool between 13-16, but everyone seemed to disregard this even though there was a rope blocking the entrance. Once again, not sure if this rule is enforced more so during the summer.

The food at the restaurant was the best on the island! I would recommend eating all of your meals there! Breakfast was included in our reservation, but otherwise it costs 10 euros. The first day there wasn't a big selection- only bread and cakes. But each day the selection grew-fruits, meats, eggs, etc. There was a large group that arrived the second day we were there so I think this is why there was more of a selection. I am sure that during the summer months, when they have more guests that the breakfast is fine, but if we had to pay the extra 10 euros we probably would have skipped out.

The rooms are clean and the cleaning ladies are really friendly and always gave us extra towels.

Overall- good location,good dinner,clean rooms,nice pool.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Caralina F
Reviewed 18 May 2013

First, let me set the stage by explaining that I am a travel photojournalist writing primarily for North American audiences. My wife and I were booked for a week here but we left after 5 days due to the conditions we found. Not that the resort was completely horrendous; there were redeeming factors, such as the marvelous restaurant and laid-back atmosphere, but overall the facilities are not as described and visitors would be well advised of that.

First, the advertised free Wifi ranged from abysmal to non-existent. People were crowded in various spots throughout our stay trying in vain to get spotty internet and grumbling about the connectivity all the while. The management admitted they had trouble with it constantly. Neither Macs nor PCs would work.

Despite the fact that some of their literature claims that off-site laundry facilities are available, once we arrived (after driving through Italy for a week) we were told that there were no facilities in the resort, nor any on the island. We had to wash our clothes by hand. In their defense, clothes dry quickly in the sunshine and mild breezes.

Most shocking to us was the fact that you cannot drink the water in the resort (see photo below of non-potable water sign). Are you kidding me? Nowhere was this mentioned in the literature we researched.

The TV does not work; well, it "works" but the static is impossible and there is no access to English-speaking cable news channels.

The rental units have no dishwasher, no paper towels, no kitchen towels, no dish detergent, and only one pot lid for all three pots provided (it only fit one pot).

No one on the desk staff spoke English well enough to communicate accurately. I am not faulting this, it is Italy after all, but you should know this before you book.

There are very few electrical outlets so make sure to bring a gang plug.

Having properly dashed this resort, I'll be quick to add that the restaurant is wonderful (see photos), serving freshly prepared local cuisine at reasonable prices. We dined there twice, in both cases paying about 35 Euros for two entrees, with one glass of wine and bottled water. Service was excellent. The restaurant is managed separately by Rosa Venuti, who is just terrific.

Villaggio is perfectly located, just a tad outside town, but a short walk or bike ride to the central piazza and the picturesque waterfront. You can bike all over this tiny island and it is laced with history on every turn.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business